"Stay Light on Your Bike" … What Does That Mean?

PB Forum :: Beginners
"Stay Light on Your Bike" … What Does That Mean?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 6:48 Quote
I hear the phrases “stay light on your bike” and “heavy feet, light hands” a lot, but frequently some explanations of how and when to use these techniques seemingly contradict each other.

I watched a video about riding wet tech. The phrase “stay light on your bike” was used several times. Does that mean light in the hands and upper body? Or light on the feet? Light hands on wet tech seems dangerous to me. Without enough weight on the front you risk washout.

I’m assuming there is a balance, but it seems “stay light on your bike” could mean “light hands (or upper body) and heavy feet” in some scenarios and “light feet, heavy hands (or upper body)” in other scenarios.

I know its a “feel” thing, but I’d love some clarity on those terms.

Would some of you more experienced riders speak into this and possibly offer some examples where these phrases are applicable?

Thanks

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 11:58 Quote
Years ago I took a beginner group MTB lesson and the instructor preached that message. That lesson alone, and the other things taught, helped advance my riding skills 100%.

Have you thought about taking a group lesson?

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 14:07 Quote
You might be over thinking a bit. Are you having trouble riding something that has led you to seek instruction? Maybe describing the problems that you are encountering might help get you a more precise answer.

So many different variables that make this hard to answer.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008345
Mobile Version of Website