help

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
Hey everybody, I've just purchased a bike through someone on pinkbike. I travelled quite a way to get it and I paid cash. The owner said it was only used 4 times and had few scratches and usual wesr and tear. The next morning I inspected the bike more thoroughly and found dents in the rims, dents in the frame along with chips and scratches. The bike shop also told me it needs news brake pads,eagle cassette and chain,dropper post adjustment and basically lots of money spent on it. I dont mind some wear and tear but I think his advert was misleading. Have I got any rights to a full refund? I purchased it yesterday.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 8:31 Quote
This is just my take on it but you should have inspected it at the time you were there and have you tried asking for a refund?

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 9:43 Quote
Unfortunately when you buy a used mountain bike it is always a 'buyer beware' sort of thing. Its important to do your due diligence when it comes to inspecting the bike prior to buying to prevent this exact scenario. I would certainly contact the seller and ask for a refund considering what the ad had stated.. However he/she is certainly not obligated to do so.

Mod Plus
Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
Chrisdm wrote:
Hey everybody, I've just purchased a bike through someone on pinkbike. I travelled quite a way to get it and I paid cash. The owner said it was only used 4 times and had few scratches and usual wesr and tear. The next morning I inspected the bike more thoroughly and found dents in the rims, dents in the frame along with chips and scratches. The bike shop also told me it needs news brake pads,eagle cassette and chain,dropper post adjustment and basically lots of money spent on it. I dont mind some wear and tear but I think his advert was misleading. Have I got any rights to a full refund? I purchased it yesterday.

I am going to blunt and direct here

If you actually went to purchase the bike, you should have done your due diligence and inspected the bike thoroughly before handing over any money.

By you not doing this when you had the chance is your problem. A miss leading ad is another issue all together. But in this case the miss leading ad is negated because you physically had the ability to inspect every aspect of the bike and make a decision if you want to purchase the bike.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 16:49 Quote
One persons rat is another persons cherry. The seller may be a ham handed neanderthal who rides with no flow, and actually did that much damage on one ride. Some people change cassetes chainrings and chains like underwear (xc riders especially) others may ride stuff for years and consider it good as new. Your seller may not have been malicious, your shop guy may be the rebuild a fork at 25 hours of use no matter what type. Your best move is communicate with the seller, be specific about your concerns, ask firmly for a refund if you believe the seller is not upfront or the bike is not worth it. I bought a surfboard used once, noticed a ton of repair work not mentioned by the seller the next day when I saw it in the sun. Board was still a good deal and the best board i ever owned. You can always go back and hit the guy with a shovel if he tried to screw you and refuses refund or partial if it is appropriate. PB community cant do anything for you though.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 23:42 Quote
Thanks for the replies guys Smile you live and you learn by your mistakes. I still have a nice looking bike even if it is a bit beaten up.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011068
Mobile Version of Website