Do you want to make Pinkbike and Trailforks better? Pinkbike is looking for full time Software Developers - Check Available Jobs

Groupset debate

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 12:42 Quote
I am debating between two bikes right now that have a $600 price difference. As far as I can tell from the spec sheets. The main difference is the groupset and the brakes. Here are the two set-ups:

+$600
SRAM AXS X01 Eagle (with dropper post as well)
SRAM Level TL Brakes

or

SRAM GX Eagle
Shimano XT M8000 Brakes

With all else being the same, is the +$600 upgrade worth it? I don't know much about the difference in brakes as I can't seem to find a direct comparison in case someone has some thoughts.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 17:09 Quote
$600 for full X01 AXS including dropper over GX eagle is a stupidly good deal. Whether AXS is worth it to you is another question. For that price I would pay it.

Level TL brakes is an odd choice with AXS though, that makes no sense. I'm a Shimano guy so I would just sell those Levels and buy XT8100/8120 depending on how much power you need.

Posted: Aug 27, 2019 at 4:42 Quote
I wouldn't base purchasing decisions off of a drivetrain solely. To put it better, a axs x01 drivetrain retails around $1400. A gx eagle is around $500. This means excluding the dropper, they have just given you a 300$ credit to buy their bike just based on the drivetrains. So is the frame, shock, fork, warranty, hassle of dealing with a internet brand vs a shop, etc. the reason they are offering you a credit? Without knowing the specifics it's hard to say, but there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 5:42 Quote
tjclinton wrote:
I am debating between two bikes right now that have a $600 price difference. As far as I can tell from the spec sheets. The main difference is the groupset and the brakes. Here are the two set-ups:

+$600
SRAM Level TL Brakes

or

SRAM GX Eagle
Shimano XT M8000 Brakes

With all else being the same, is the +$600 upgrade worth it? I don't know much about the difference in brakes as I can't seem to find a direct comparison in case someone has some thoughts.

AXS is cool to have. Until you hit and break rear deraileur Big Grin Then only option is to buy another X01 AXS deraileur (not cheap...)... and SRAM Level is XC-ish brake. Shifting on GX and AXS is perfect - don't think there is a world of difference there, both works very very good when setup right.

Just guessing...if this is some XC bike where you want AXS bling and Level brakes are strong enough - go for it. If its trail/enduro bike - then Shimano brakes and GX drivetrain are better choice. $600 difference can go for MTB trip or simmilar - much better investment :-)

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
I'd go with the AXS groupset upgrade. You can sell the AXS groupset with dropper post, Then buy the GX groupset and still have funds left over for a couple of MTB getaways!

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 8:43 Quote
PapaGordo wrote:
I'd go with the AXS groupset upgrade. You can sell the AXS groupset with dropper post, Then buy the GX groupset and still have funds left over for a couple of MTB getaways!

Why bother with buying better AXS then selling it and buying GX ?? - don't forget you will not get the same price for AXS taken from new bike as shop price, there will be at least 20% drop (if not more) in selling price just because its not boxed shop version with receipt and everything. Not even including time and effort selling + time and effort installing GX....

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
the difference in shifting between XX1 eagle and AXS is night and day, I've not ridden GX eagle but from what folk have said its not as good as XX1 (which i have owned). Super smooth, regardless of conditions or how much power through the cranks. the reverb is a joy to use too

if you can get he upgrade to AXS gears & dropper for that money you should bite their arm off. After riding AXS, I'm done with cable shifting.

Posted: 22 hours ago Quote
if a physical shop, I'd ask for a deal; go for the expensive one asking them to swap AXS drivetrain for normal X01 and the brakes for something with more power.

Posted: 21 hours ago Quote
tjclinton wrote:

+$600
SRAM Level TL Brakes

or

SRAM GX Eagle
Shimano XT M8000 Brakes

It's absolutely worth it. My bike came stock with GX Eagle and I upgraded straight to X01 AXS Eagle and never looked back.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009432
Mobile Version of Website