Shimano xt m8100

Previous Page |
Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 14:31 Quote
Has anyone tried the new Shimano XT drivetrain? I'm considering switching. Currently running full GX Eagle and am not happy with shift performance under power. I hear the new Shimano drivetrains do better shifting under load. Any thoughts/experiences?

I'm aware of the need for microspline driver but Ibis assures me they will have one for their 942 logo wheelsets soon.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 5:49 Quote
50105010 wrote:
Has anyone tried the new Shimano XT drivetrain? I'm considering switching. Currently running full GX Eagle and am not happy with shift performance under power. I hear the new Shimano drivetrains do better shifting under load. Any thoughts/experiences?

I'm aware of the need for microspline driver but Ibis assures me they will have one for their 942 logo wheelsets soon.
Haven't tried yet, but shitfting under load is supose to be one the main new features of new 12-speed Shimano stuff, so go for switch especially if you aren't satisfied currently with GX.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 21:52 Quote
50105010 wrote:

Great drivetrain. Equivalent to SRAM X01 or even better.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 14:12 Quote
Can put an xo1 shifter on GX is plastic internally...

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 16:20 Quote
I have slx cassette with the xt shifter and xtr chain. Coming from gx the shifter is light years better, Shifts better under power for sure, and is more precise. I only have 200 miles on it but already I feel like it’s a more consistent platform. Cassette is heavier but also seems to be built to be more durable which was an issue for me with gx cassettes. I bent two and broke one in 3 years.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 16:25 Quote
Xt cassettes are also $60 cheaper

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
Can run the Xo1 shifter with the GX cassette

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 12:32 Quote
I have also used. XT and honestly gx and xt are both good...

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 14:05 Quote
Took my first few rides on my new XT8100 Groupset this week.
I was always a XT 1x11 guy before I picked up a bike that had GX Eagle. I rode that bike for about 1500 miles in all kinds of terrain.
My thoughts.
GX was pretty solid and ran pretty good for about the first 500 miles. At that Time I put a new Chain and front cog. From then on it ever was quite the same. Always needed little adjustments every week or so. Not a horrible experience but a little bothersome. Ended up going thru a chain every 500 miles. By doing this the Cassette held up well.
the New XT 1x12 :
I can say that the shifting was pretty crisp and easy. Didn't notice too much difference other than the shifting under load and uphill. This is where I really felt a difference. In one word it was Precise.
We will see how it holds up under time but XT has always had a solid reputation and I would expect nothing different.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 5:32 Quote
I'm pretty excited. I was able to finally order a microspline driver. Once I get the XT set mounted I'll let you know. My GX was great initially but I have had a few drive-side crashes that tweaked the derailleur cage. Now it's just noisy, sloppy, and sometimes rebellious... Just shifting on its own. My LBS tries to adjust it each time to no avail. I still can't lay full power down without it skipping which is frustrating.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 12:26 Quote
I was finally able to get my XT drivetrain installed. Took my first ride last night. Flawless shift up and down, even under load. Crisp. Clean. It was great. There is a different feel to the steps between the largest cogs vs sram eagle. It felt like I was able to just find one gear that got me up this really long hill entirely vs hopping between the 42/36 on my eagle. It was interesting and led to fresher feeling legs. I kept the 32 tooth chainring consistent. I also like to double shift to faster gear because it let me ramp up speed more predictively that hoping I got between 6-9 clicks of downshift.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 13:35 Quote
I'm glad to hear that the conversion went well. I'm planning on doing the same thing but I have to wait until after Christmas since the family always bothers me for christmas list stuff and I just threw all the switchover parts on there.

I'm looking forward to ditching my GX also.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 18:59 Quote
Explodo wrote:
I'm glad to hear that the conversion went well. I'm planning on doing the same thing but I have to wait until after Christmas since the family always bothers me for christmas list stuff and I just threw all the switchover parts on there.

Oh hey, Explodo,

How are things? Yes, the act of ditching the GX was probably even better the improved shifting under load. Are you gonna go with the 2x setup or have you made your peace with the 1x scene?

And have you been able to love the one you're with or do you still pine for that sweet Pivot demo?

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 5:48 Quote
50105010 wrote:
Explodo wrote:

Oh hey, Explodo,

How are things? Yes, the act of ditching the GX was probably even better the improved shifting under load. Are you gonna go with the 2x setup or have you made your peace with the 1x scene?

And have you been able to love the one you're with or do you still pine for that sweet Pivot demo?

Thanks for asking! As the Ripmo won't do 2x, the 1x is all I can do, but I'm excited to move back to Shimano. I wish I could say that I've totally accepted the Ripmo, but after healing up and starting riding in earnest in May, the frame was broken by the end of the summer. I never even crashed it, just rode it like I do.

Ibis replaced it, of course, but that really doesn't help me feel comfortable with it. Since it's winter, I'm not stressing it much, but we'll see how it goes when I can get back on it and ride it again. I really hope I got a bad frame and that I can start working on feeling comfortable with the frame. I do enjoy riding it in spite of wanting more gear sometimes.

My wife was just hinting at buying me a Pivot last night. She's so great! I do wish that she would spend that money on a 4-post lift instead.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 13:39 Quote
Explodo,

Dang... Can't believe you broke your frame. You must be killing it out there. Worst I've had is a broken spoke. You would have no trouble selling your Ripmo given delays in getting them into people's hands, especially with new frame. Your wife definitely sounds like a keeper...

Good luck and have a good holiday.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005332
Mobile Version of Website