Nomad 4 and Megneg

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Nomad 4 and Megneg
Previous Page |
Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 21:48 Quote
Has anyone tried this on the Super Deluxe shock on a nomad 4? Is it worth it?

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 20:58 Quote
I just put it on a customer V3 bronson and he likes it better than with the standard air can. Original setup was 210psi with 3.5 tokens (1 gnar and 1 regular token). With the megneg, we went with 1 negative air spacer, 1 positive spacer and 260 psi. His original sag was around 30-32%. Now it's 35% but it has way more pop for jumping and support in berms. With the added pressure we also added one click of rebound damping.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 7:02 Quote
Has anyone known a basic start point to try?
tokens, bands, air pressure, etc..

I weight about 76 - 77k geared.
Currently running 29% sag with 200psi, basically I would like to increase the medium support without losing traction (small bumps)
I've just bought this MegNeg to try it in my Nomad v4...
I'm also hesitating about if it will become too progressive because almost nobody has posted about it.
Any suggestion is super welcome!

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 12:17 Quote
razacr wrote:

Currently running 29% sag with 200psi, basically I would like to increase the medium support without losing traction (small bumps)
I'm also hesitating about if it will become too progressive because almost nobody has posted about it.

How did it go? Do you like it?

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 14:12 Quote
72kg in gear, 175psi no tokens and no bands great for me!
Previously had standard can 145psi 3.5 tokens which I was really happy with but the Megneg is better forsure.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 17:39 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
razacr wrote:

How did it go? Do you like it?

Hi, yes I like it, I'm running the MegNeg with 4 bands in the negative chamber, hasn't tried a different setup yet. But, so far the bike feels more planted over high speed sections in steep chunky terrain, so it's a improvement here but I think it lost a bit of pop and live feeling over more flowy trails so I've added a couple of clicks of compression (normally I run fully open) to the shock (RCT). 31% sag and 200psi. I will try removing all the bands to check the difference as @Risker mentions.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 18:13 Quote
Risker wrote:
Previously had standard can 145psi 3.5 tokens which I was really happy with but the Megneg is better forsure.

Hi, whats about your shock compression/rebound setup?
I noticed a bit of sluggish in pedaling uphill, with the 4 bands on the neg. Good traction and it seems to use all the travel, but the mid support looks a bit less lively for pedaling purposes to me.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 at 0:21 Quote
razacr wrote:
Risker wrote:

Hi, whats about your shock compression/rebound setup?
I noticed a bit of sluggish in pedaling uphill, with the 4 bands on the neg. Good traction and it seems to use all the travel, but the mid support looks a bit less lively for pedaling purposes to me.

Compression fully open, rebound one click from fully open in the winter with the cold, two clicks in the summer!

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 16:45 Quote
Thanks, Risker, I'm running your last setup recommendations (removing 4 bands in Neg chamber, compression fully open and 2 clicks of rebound). So far it feels much more pop, very active. In mellow terrain the nomad performs really good, I went into a long exposed roots section where I felt the bike was kind of floating over them but at the same time feeling the back tire bouncing more that I like but not too hard, and it was composed at speed regardless of the super small loss in traction.
I'll try more time on this setup, going to the same trails in different locations I went with the 4 bands set up, just before more experiment with bands.
I will share my thoughts then.
Regards, Enjoy

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 23:03 Quote
razacr wrote:
Thanks, Risker, I'm running your last setup recommendations (removing 4 bands in Neg chamber, compression fully open and 2 clicks of rebound). So far it feels much more pop, very active. In mellow terrain the nomad performs really good, I went into a long exposed roots section where I felt the bike was kind of floating over them but at the same time feeling the back tire bouncing more that I like but not too hard, and it was composed at speed regardless of the super small loss in traction.
I'll try more time on this setup, going to the same trails in different locations I went with the 4 bands set up, just before more experiment with bands.
Regards, Enjoy

Would definitely try a little extra rebound on my setup to compensate for the extra pressure you’re running Smile

Posted: Apr 23, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
So far the Megneg is a No for me. I tried it with 0 bands the first two days and it felt like it was always deep in the travel. Went through my usual rocky section and 4 minute DH trail and the bump compliance was better. Usually my feet have a little buzz to them at the end but not this time. Overall I wasn't really happy with the dead feeling, no pop, and no use of full travel. Plus needed to experiment more. This time 2 bands. Good mid stroke support but still blah mushy unconnected ride and not using full travel and harsh towards the end, but better than 0 bands. Had a great big thud and unseated the bead on my rear tire even with cushcore. I've installed 4 bands but the temps jumped up so I took 2 days off from riding, but will be out tomorrow morning.

193 lbs (84.5kg) no kit
stock 217 psi
30%sag

0 Bands I think I was at 270 psi 30% sag

2 Bands road 250 & 260 psi

Posted: Apr 23, 2020 at 13:15 Quote
MattyBoyR6 wrote:
So far the Megneg is a No for me. I tried it with 0 bands the first two days and it felt like it was always deep in the travel. Went through my usual rocky section and 4 minute DH trail and the bump compliance was better. Usually my feet have a little buzz to them at the end but not this time. Overall I wasn't really happy with the dead feeling, no pop, and no use of full travel. Plus needed to experiment more. This time 2 bands. Good mid stroke support but still blah mushy unconnected ride and not using full travel and harsh towards the end, but better than 0 bands. Had a great big thud and unseated the bead on my rear tire even with cushcore. I've installed 4 bands but the temps jumped up so I took 2 days off from riding, but will be out tomorrow morning.

193 lbs (84.5kg) no kit
stock 217 psi
30%sag

Thanks dude, good insights! I ended up trying the cascade link in stead and report back to see if that might be an alternative.

Posted: Apr 28, 2020 at 20:59 Quote
I just ordered the cc link. did you end up trying it out. I am interested in the difference between both. Would the shock be better or worse with the meg neg plus LT link.

noplacelikeloam wrote:
MattyBoyR6 wrote:

193 lbs (84.5kg) no kit
stock 217 psi
30%sag

Thanks dude, good insights! I ended up trying the cascade link in stead and report back to see if that might be an alternative.

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 6:08 Quote
Well, I'm back with some updates.
My current weight, 76kg with gear, I run 205psi. 28% sag.
The latest setup was running 0 bands and 0 tokens, I'm still using this configuration.
My last complaint was that the rear wheel was bouncing a bit too much on rooty and brake bumps, and a super small loss in grip (almost no rocky trails in Costa Rica).
The terrain I ride the most isn't as steep as I like but went for a month to Providencia de Dota to experience real super steep singletrack, It helps me to adjust the MegNeg to a most overall tune.
I ended up reducing the air volume, and increase the rebound from 2clicks to 4four from open.
I added 1 click of compression, that helps with pedaling uphill, I don't use the pedal lever of the super deluxe, eventually only on fire roads.
In conclusion, my nomad became really planted, and regularly use the 95% of the travel reserving these last 5% just big hits only, but with enough ramp up to pop when I want to. It will definitely not be as poppy as a real trail bike, let's say a 130 - 150mm travel rig, but men, this bike can handle everything.

I hope this helps, and thanks to everyone for your inputs too.
Enjoy

Risker wrote:
razacr wrote:
Regards, Enjoy

Would definitely try a little extra rebound on my setup to compensate for the extra pressure you’re running Smile

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 7:29 Quote
Any more updates on this? im looking to purchase one for my nomad.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005472
Mobile Version of Website