How frequent do I add sealant to my Tubeless setup?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How frequent do I add sealant to my Tubeless setup?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 27, 2019 at 11:21 Quote
As the title suggests, I am new to the tubeless setup and am not sure how often I am supposed to add more sealant to the tires. Can anyone provide some information and/or suggestions?

Posted: Aug 27, 2019 at 11:38 Quote
Depends on sealant type, temperature, tyres, number of punctures etc

Give the tyres shake when you first pick the bike up after being laid up. You'll eventually recognize when it doesn't sound like there's much in.

Probably 6-8 weeks top up I'd say.. maybe longer.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 13:27 Quote
Let the bike sit still for a few minutes with the valves on the lower side of the wheels, then remove the valve cores and put a little allen key, a zip tie or whatever through the valves. That way you can see if there is sealant in the tires and how much of it.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
I learned my lesson last year after waiting to long and flatting during a race. There was no fresh sealant left in my tires after about 6 months. It was all dry.

Now, about every 3 months or so, I'll pull the tires, empty any fresh sealant, pull the tires from the rims and peel all the old sealant from the inside of the tire. It can take a bit of time but it's worth it as it can build up and start to add significant weight. It's not much, but weight on the spinning, un-sprung parts of your bike is felt to a greater degree than on non-spinning and the sprung parts of your bike.

Then just reinstall with fresh sealant... maybe fresh tape if needed as well.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009254
Mobile Version of Website