Water filter for remote riding

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Water filter for remote riding
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 20:42 Quote
Hey everyone.

Im going to be riding next week on some trails that do not have easily accessible potable water.

I WILL however be riding next to a fresh water river the whole time so I know i can filter that water.

I will have one bottle on my bike, and my waist bag has pockets for two bottles.

Does anyone have experience with riding as light as possible while also being able to carry some sort of water filter? i see there are many options on Amazon. Should I go "filter straw" route? Or how about "filter bottle"?

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 22:47 Quote
I used grocery 1 liter bottles and stretched my cages to fit. Also carried a katydin bottle filter i found at a thrift store. $1 purchase. Nothing can compare to dipping your bottle filter in an ice cold stream and refilling your whole stack, and guzzling that frigid but crystal clear water to your hearts content after bonking hard in the hot sun on brutal climbs. Straws not so good , get something you can squeeze to fill your every bottle when you get to that stream.

Now about those overwhelming thoughts of a whole chicago style pizza or 3 bigmacs and a extra large frys haunting you long after its gotten dark, youve fixed a flat and a busted chain crashed twice and blown way past low blood sugar riding by headlamp freezing shivering and stuffing your hands in your armpits to warm them up, slithering out to the trailhead after a 10 hour epic... All you can do is promise yourself a feeding frenzy. At least you wont run out of water. That truly sucks. When you taste salt and blood in your dry saliva you will never leave home without at least one bottle that can filter. Any will do. Forget iodine pills, forget straws.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 1:17 Quote
Check out the Sawyer Squeeze, very small, very affordable, works great.

I've used it a ton while hiking around.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 2:16 Quote
https://www.lifestraw.com/products/lifestraw-go?&gclid=CjwKCAjwkqPrBRA3EiwAKdtwk5OL9Kbh_mZQ_PiAh_By7-TmgI9B2ffU0hUth348CEjpYP4gvEX4lxoCy4wQAvD_BwE

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 5:37 Quote
The Sawyer filter I have screws onto a Smart Water bottle fairly easily. Fill the bottle with river water and squeeze it through the filter into your bike bottle.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
The Katadyn BeFree line is a collapsible water bottle with filter that comes in 0.6L, 1L, and 3L capacities.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 16:58 Quote
Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and sunshine in a clear platypus bag works well and is very light. They have tablets for the use that are suitable for human consumption.
Iodine tablets work really well if you can find it but meth making has made it harder to come by these days. It also has a taste.
I also have a katadynn base camp which I love for camping. You fill it and you have 10L of water that gravity filters (yay no pumping). You could use this as a way to plan breaks into your ride.
Personally I did bleach when I ultra lighted on the AT. Never had any problems with it.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 18:22 Quote
Thanks for your responses.

The base camp filtering doesnt work, as once I start the grueling climb up, I aint gunna be seeing camp till I'm off the trail. So trailside filtering is a must.

I did my research, and since I am a little pressed for time before the trip, I ended up getting the sawyer mini. Highly rated, cheap and simple to use.

I'll have 2 bottles which is plenty for a solid hour of riding at a time. So when i stop for a good break, I can fill up at the river and let the filter do its job while i take some pics.

I'll update how it went when i get back. Thanks

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 18:54 Quote
Sh00terMcGavin wrote:
Thanks for your responses.

The base camp filtering doesnt work, as once I start the grueling climb up, I aint gunna be seeing camp till I'm off the trail. So trailside filtering is a must.

I did my research, and since I am a little pressed for time before the trip, I ended up getting the sawyer mini. Highly rated, cheap and simple to use.

I'll have 2 bottles which is plenty for a solid hour of riding at a time. So when i stop for a good break, I can fill up at the river and let the filter do its job while i take some pics.

I'll update how it went when i get back. Thanks

Good choice. Mine has worked great on any backpacking trips.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007324
Mobile Version of Website