Fox service at home

PB Forum :: Fox Racing Shox
Fox service at home
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 5:50 Quote
It seems to me that Fox36 Factory, DPX2 factory and Transfer dropper each need proprietary tools to be fully serviced.
Air can or lowers is simple. But more than that ... These tools are expensive and very hard to get?

Am I missing something, or is that what it is?

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 21:40 Quote
You can do a seal service on your fork and shock without special tools.

Use the old fork nuts unthreaded a bit off rods as a blow guard for a plastic mallet instead of the damper removal tool.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-m&q=fox+fork+damper+removal+tool&oq=fox+fork+damper+removal+tool&aqs=heirloom-srp.0.0l2

Use a plastic or wood dowel to help pry out the old seals. You might need a small one for your shock and a larger, 1” one for your forks.

Seal services are easy. Damper services are harder and may actually require special tools. Fox has great instructions for both though.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 4:24 Quote
scoobiemario wrote:
It seems to me that Fox36 Factory, DPX2 factory and Transfer dropper each need proprietary tools to be fully serviced.
Air can or lowers is simple. But more than that ... These tools are expensive and very hard to get?

Am I missing something, or is that what it is?

When you want to start getting down into dampers things get expensive. If the shock you wanna service is charged with nitrogen you'll need a tank, regulator, hose, and a needle rig. I just bought these recently and it set me back a few hundred bucks by the time all the dust settled. You'll also need various sizes of vise soft jaws to hold damper bodies, etc. while torquing and removing parts and a selection of crow's foot attachments and a torque wrench unless you wanna just eyeball things together and hope for the best.

So....yeah. This stuff isn't a million bucks and it isn't impossible to get ahold of, but unless you're planning on doing a lot of service (I do, I own a shop), it probably isn't worth it. You'll more or less spend about the price of a good shock or fork on the stuff it takes to do damper service in rear shocks. Forks aren't quite as crazy. You'll still need a torque wrench and some crow's foot attachments, but beyond that it's no big deal.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004509
Mobile Version of Website