Fast rolling, good cornering AM tires

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Fast rolling, good cornering AM tires
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 8:51 Quote
I’ve been struggling to find a good setup for my short travel bike.
I feel like picking tires for my 6” bike is easy, just pick what’s grippy and the appropriate casing.

But it seems like there’s always some major trade offs when you start looking at the lighter faster rolling options. There’s the aggressive treads in a lighter casing, but the center tread on most those tires I find is usually way overkill. When the center tread is more XC oriented and faster rolling, the side knobs are usually too small or transition knobs limit your potential grip.

I’ve got a DHR2 front, minion SS rear right now.
Not a fan of the SS, it does roll well, but not as well as I would expect(think it’s meant for a more narrow rim to round the profile more) and I find it sketchy on edge, doesn’t have the same slide then catch sensation a dhr or aggressor has, just gets on those side knobs and feels squirrly till it lets go.

The DHR2 in 2.4 exo 3c is pretty damn good for a front. I still can’t figure out if it rolls fast or not, sometimes it feels like it does. Other times it feels super draggy, must just like certain surfaces. And either way, it’s WAY more braking traction than I need for a trail bike front, so just pretty overkill. And its a little heavy.

I’ve thought of the rekon 2.6 front 2.4 rear, but not sure I’d like the transition knobs.

Maybe the Bontrager XR5 front XR4 rear? Or 2.6 XR4 front 2.4 rear? The side knobs look nice and meaty, but still has those transition knobs.

I feel like my ideal trail tire would have an XC style center tread, a reasonably sized channel, then some DHF style cornering knobs, and just round enough profile so those side knobs aren’t dragging when going straight.

Haven’t heard much about them yet but a dissector in exo front and rear could be good, they’re a reasonable weight, supposed to roll well.

Anything else out there I’m not considering?

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 10:37 Quote
Maxxis Aggressor. Great tire for fast rolling and gripping.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
+1 for the Aggressor

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 18:28 Quote
WTB Trailboss is another option if you're looking for something other than Maxxis.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 18:28 Quote
Since you mention Bontrager, I'm running an XR3 on the rear, which has smaller corner knobs than the XR4 but better than the average XC race tire, and I haven't found it sliding out on me yet, and the 2.35 seems to have a decent profile on my 30mm rims. Last summer I ran a Rock Razor 2.6 on the back and it worked very well in dry conditions, even climbing polished roots, but I can't compare it to Maxxis SS.

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 at 7:24 Quote
I basically just went through the same thoughts as you, i thought the dual DHRII setup that came on my bike was overkill for what i rode and wanted something faster rolling. I put a 2.4 Dissector up front, and a 2.4 Rekon in the back. So far i am super happy with it, the combo rolls great, and i am way more comfortable in the corners on the hardpack trails i ride. I can't say if it is better than other combos as i haven't tried tons of tires, but i like the new combo way more than my Dual DHRII setup i was using.

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 at 17:03 Quote
Kenda Nevegal 2 Pro, fast rolling, good grip ive only used them in a 2.4 but they come 2.6 aswell if thats your thing

Posted: Sep 1, 2019 at 15:38 Quote
Aggressor. Locks up and feels like it rolls like an XC tire (obviously with more resistance)

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 5:27 Quote
Wild enduros. The grip blows the aggressor out of the water imho and they are a better all around tire for varied condition. When it gets wet the aggressor gets slick and does not clear easily.

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 5:44 Quote
That's the next rubber I will try ^ I used to run michelins on my dirtbike and the grip and life of the tire was excellent.

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 15:47 Quote
Continental Trail Kings or Der Barons. best gripping tire Ive ever owned. just make sure they are 2018 or later, the older ones have sealing issues

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 16:41 Quote
I’m on magic mary front, rock razor rear on my enduro hardtail. I find the corner knobs of the magic Mary (which are the same on the rock razor) better than the DHF ones, maybe cause they’re tilted but they give me more confidence, without skipping any beat when leaning the bike.
Rock razor in 2.6 rolls quite well, they probably won’t brake very well in wet weather, but it still dry here and for now they works great

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008806
Mobile Version of Website