DJ as a urban street bike?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
DJ as a urban street bike?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Sep 1, 2019 at 14:34 Quote
Hey everyone,
I don't really ride dirt tracks but I do have an old 09 specialized p3 that is about to bite the dust that I take around for urban riding. I mostly just ride in the city for cardio and fun stuff to jump off of. I also have a mountain bike( Trek Xcalibur 7) I use for this purpose but sometimes I like to switch between them.

I recently purchased a new Wethepeople crysis BMX which i just traded for cash and item of value so I'm not out of any money. I thought it would be fun to get back into a 20 inch bmx to dink around with but wow my wrists could not take it and I don't have enough stuff around to make it worth it.

I've been looking at dirt jumpers such as the YT Dirt Love https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/2137 (better bike components, $400 more) or the Specialized P.3 https://www.specialized.com/us/en/p-3/p/171072?color=264292-171072 (Cheaper but worse fork, however the length and head tube angle might be better for street riding?). Also on my current old junker of a DJ I have change the seat out and keep it raised a bit and at a flatter angle for when I have a couple miles of commute between finding lines to play on. I will ultimately end up doing this to which ever DJ'er I end up purchasing as well(Sorry for the blasphemy).

So I post because I recently saw in another thread, someone mentioned a bike like the NS Clash https://nsbikes.com/clash,100,pl.html might be better for what I want to do as an urban assault bike. Is this something I should be looking into? If so is there a better type of bike like this than the clash, as my budget is ~$1,500.

Seeing as the dumb snafu I made buying my BMX bike I don't want to repeat it and get something right the first time. I am already used to my DJ, but being from 09 I can't find geometry specs on it to see what I'm riding. Also unfortunately where I live it doesn't leave me much in options to actually test ride any of these bikes.

So I would love some input as if I should continue with my path to grab one of these DJ'ers, and if so, which one do you think would work better for my urban/street(Might ride to the skate park if im not feeling lazy as well) style, or if I'm looking at the completely wrong style bike.

Thanks!

Posted: Sep 1, 2019 at 16:17 Quote
I have a Transition Triple which is marketed as a full suspension DJ. I have added a derailleur and gear cluster, run my seat high and ride a little of everything ( except downhill ) . I love it for what I do. I came from BMX and was not into such a slacked out trail type bike. I got lucky, probably should have done some demos but it worked out. GOOD LUCK !

Posted: Sep 2, 2019 at 7:10 Quote
celbii wrote:
Hey everyone,
I don't really ride dirt tracks but I do have an old 09 specialized p3 that is about to bite the dust that I take around for urban riding. I mostly just ride in the city for cardio and fun stuff to jump off of. I also have a mountain bike( Trek Xcalibur 7) I use for this purpose but sometimes I like to switch between them.

I recently purchased a new Wethepeople crysis BMX which i just traded for cash and item of value so I'm not out of any money. I thought it would be fun to get back into a 20 inch bmx to dink around with but wow my wrists could not take it and I don't have enough stuff around to make it worth it.

I've been looking at dirt jumpers such as the YT Dirt Love https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/2137 (better bike components, $400 more) or the Specialized P.3 https://www.specialized.com/us/en/p-3/p/171072?color=264292-171072 (Cheaper but worse fork, however the length and head tube angle might be better for street riding?). Also on my current old junker of a DJ I have change the seat out and keep it raised a bit and at a flatter angle for when I have a couple miles of commute between finding lines to play on. I will ultimately end up doing this to which ever DJ'er I end up purchasing as well(Sorry for the blasphemy).

So I post because I recently saw in another thread, someone mentioned a bike like the NS Clash https://nsbikes.com/clash,100,pl.html might be better for what I want to do as an urban assault bike. Is this something I should be looking into? If so is there a better type of bike like this than the clash, as my budget is ~$1,500.

Seeing as the dumb snafu I made buying my BMX bike I don't want to repeat it and get something right the first time. I am already used to my DJ, but being from 09 I can't find geometry specs on it to see what I'm riding. Also unfortunately where I live it doesn't leave me much in options to actually test ride any of these bikes.

So I would love some input as if I should continue with my path to grab one of these DJ'ers, and if so, which one do you think would work better for my urban/street(Might ride to the skate park if im not feeling lazy as well) style, or if I'm looking at the completely wrong style bike.

Thanks!

What do you like or not like about your current Specialized P3?

Riding a DJ 26 for park/street has been done plenty in the past, including by pros like Martin Soderstrom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnKzfhS1M8A

The geometry you have on the P3 is still pretty close to the current "standard." The only thing is some frames that claim to be more skatepark oriented have a higher bottom bracket--like closer to wheel axle level rather than an inch or 1.25" below axle level. The P3 was known for having a slightly low bb.

Posted: Sep 2, 2019 at 9:21 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:

What do you like or not like about your current Specialized P3?

Riding a DJ 26 for park/street has been done plenty in the past, including by pros like Martin Soderstrom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnKzfhS1M8A

The geometry you have on the P3 is still pretty close to the current "standard." The only thing is some frames that claim to be more skatepark oriented have a higher bottom bracket--like closer to wheel axle level rather than an inch or 1.25" below axle level. The P3 was known for having a slightly low bb.

The only thing I don't really like about my current P3 is that its old a beat up and no gear shifting so its not so good for longer commutes on the trail(I live with an asphalt bike trail that goes through my driveway, but I am moving in 15 days to a downtown urban area, so I think the DJ will shine more there than my mountain bike I usually daily and gears wont be such a big issue). I do enjoy it and find it a fun bike and its why I'm considering upgrading.

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
celbii wrote:
Hey everyone,
. . . urban riding. I mostly just ride in the city for cardio and fun stuff to jump off of.

. . .

So I would love some input as if I should continue with my path to grab one of these DJ'ers, and if so, which one do you think would work better for my urban/street(Might ride to the skate park if im not feeling lazy as well) style, or if I'm looking at the completely wrong style bike.

Thanks!

I'm still not totally sure what your riding style is and/or what kind of riding you want to do.

Some MTB-Street riders have a style that is very close to BMX street. Like they do bunnyhop barspins, 360s off stuff, sometimes even grinds (although running pegs on mtb is a very niche choice).

Other MTB-Street riders have a "Trials" style. People like Danny MacAskill blend a bmx-street style with "trials." Trials meaning like stationary hops onto/over/down from large objects. Sam Pilgrim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUD2nMIz5_0 also has a bmx-street style with some Trials thrown in.

Then there's like the older school (although guys are still doing it) style of urban downhill/freeride, which tends to be large hucks off stair sets, roofs, etc. Like:
Fabio Wilmer "Urban Freeride lives" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jDKJT2dDZQ

This bike in your area Transition Bottle Rocket Mountain Bike - $675 (Stratford) https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/bik/d/stratford-transition-bottle-rocket/6969791277.html is a "classic" (i.e. a little dated, but verrrry popular) that could be an "urban freeride" type bike, like if you're going to jump stair sets... but it wouldn't be too good in a skatepark.

If you feel like you maybe don't need/want suspension, then maybe a 24" or 26" wheel BMX could be a way to go. Like the Stolen Zeke XLT 26" http://www.bikecraze.com/Stolen-Zeke-XLT-26-BMX-Bike-Metallic-Red-p/s024.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIib-s8-m05AIVC77ACh3HlwJbEAQYAyABEgKeyPD_BwE&click=4

But, the 20" was killing your wrists, so yeah, maybe DJ hardtail (like your P3) is the best bet.

Then if you want gears, there aren't as many dirt jumpers out there anymore that come with gears. But, as mentioned, the Freeride Hardtail category, like the NS Clash has that covered. Another one in that style would be the Marin San Quentin https://www.jensonusa.com/Marin-San-Quentin-1-Bike-2020-Gloss-GreyBlackCyan-Medium?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9cPvo-q05AIVMf7jBx3gXAgsEAQYBSABEgIedfD_BwE However, with a slack head angle and 27.5" wheels, it's not really built for skatepark riding (like doing airs in a tight skate transition bowl would feel pretty awkward).

VITAL MTB: Dirt Jump / Slopestyle Mountain Bikes
https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/category/Bikes,3/riding_type/dirt_jump_slopestyle

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 8:52 Quote
celbii wrote:

The only thing I don't really like about my current P3 is that its old a beat up and no gear shifting so its not so good for longer commutes on the trail.....

Here's the version of your bike that did have gears back in 2009. https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=6492410#p6492410

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 16:21 Quote
If you want a dirt jumperish frame for tricks, Slopestyle FS bikes are good for this.

If you want to send stairs or drops to flat, buy an older DH bike. I heard going with 26+ setups on a 27.5 dh bike is great for urban stuff.

If you want to commute while being able to ride down stairs and throw in a few bhops along the way, any decent hardtail with a dropper post works.


Really though, if you have an MTB, just ride that.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 9:18 Quote
i was deciding between full dh bike, or dirt jumper, chose dirt jumper cause I already have an enduro bike that I can use for urban dh, and to be honest, I don't know If i have ever had as much fun on a bike as I am with my dirt jumper. (hartail DJ bike)

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009197
Mobile Version of Website