Beat-up Downcountry or Pampered Enduro Rig? (Bike Choice Help)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Beat-up Downcountry or Pampered Enduro Rig? (Bike Choice Help)
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 6:35 Quote
Hey!

So I'm a master over-thinker. Basically, here is the dilemma:
I'm an experienced rider (8 years), but I'm only self-competitive. I like recording rides on Strava and beating personal records (up and down), but I really only ride by myself or with a friend (I don't care about racing). 25% of my riding is about that self-competition, 25% is about fun, 25% is about escape, and the other 25% is about feeding that materialistic 'bling' portion of my brain that makes me spend too much money on wheels, brakes, etc.

Bike Choices:
Do I go with a more cross-country orientated rig or a more trail-enduro rig?

I feel I ride very hard on a cross-country rig. I'm worried that if I spend 4 or 5k on an SB100, the frame would do fine, but I might rattle all the other parts to oblivion on some rough rock garden or etc. I had a GT Marathon for a while and I needed to replace parts on that every year, despite enjoying the hell out of it! (Seriously underrated bike)

However, I know an Intense Carbine or Evil Calling would be overkill. Evil has my favorite philosophy, but I'm worried that I'll get it and get disappointed by the uphill climbing times. Some Intense Carbines look beautiful, but I' probably look ridiculous trail-riding on a rig like that. Seems like it belongs at the park or downhill specific courses.

I don't really go to the bike park. 95% of the riding would be on reasonably groomed trails without any really crazy enduro-style/downhill-style descents. I can always rent something if I go to Big Bear, Whistler, etc.

Current Primary Bike Choices (no particular order):
Yeti Sb100
Niner Jet 9 RDO (not really crazy about this one, but I feel it would be the 'best' pick)
2017 Intense Carbine (27.5)
Evil Calling

Brands
I love Yeti and Evil. I want to own their bikes. I never get excited over a 'Trek.' You might, but I'd probably sell the thing within a few months because it doesn't get my jollies going. I'm worried the same might happen if I get the Niner.

I used to have a blinged-out Cannondale Trigger. Best bike I've ever owned. But I don't want to explore something else.

Thanks for the help! Throw some ideas out there!

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 11:11 Quote
you have to determine what will be more fun on your most frequented trails.
also your skipping an entire category of bikes just TRAIL or ALL MOUNTAIN.

so if your trail is too smooth, lots of climbing, you get to lug an enduro bike up a hill then the reward for doing so is minimal as the downs dont sound worth.

so why not enjoy a "down country" bike on the way up, and the way down it will be a little more lively.
or meet in the middle with a trail bike.


Now, on to your selection of bikes.
an EVIL?
come on now...... thats like a trail bike that climbs shittier than a enduro ring. Slack seat angles stupid single pivot that uses about 43 pivots to create a rising rate system that could be done with half that many pivots.

the yetis are beautiful bikes, quite a contrast to the evil, the rear suspension will let you hammer climbs without a lockout
but if you ride creek crossings your going to demolish the switch infinity.
and the switch is just a way around having a lower link which gets into dw and canfield bros patents

I recommend you look at something like a pivot 5.5, capable up, down, and can be ridden at the bike park.

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
englertracing wrote:
Now, on to your selection of bikes.
an EVIL?
come on now...... thats like a trail bike that climbs shittier than a enduro ring. Slack seat angles stupid single pivot that uses about 43 pivots to create a rising rate system that could be done with half that many pivots.

Hahah! That's so mean, but I totally get it.

englertracing wrote:
the yetis are beautiful bikes, quite a contrast to the evil, the rear suspension will let you hammer climbs without a lockout
but if you ride creek crossings your going to demolish the switch infinity.
and the switch is just a way around having a lower link which gets into dw and canfield bros patents

I recommend you look at something like a pivot 5.5, capable up, down, and can be ridden at the bike park.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll look into the pivot.

Most of the trails I ride are flowy and reasonably well groomed. Like I said in the first post, I'm just worried about rattling a cross country bike to death. I think an SB130 would be perfect, but I haven't seen any under 5k with reasonable builds. Even then, I'd prefer to stay under 4k (buying used).

Oh: I'm also limited to what I find in the used market around me (hense those choices).

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
Can you get to a demo event with similar trails to you to try a few bikes and see how they feel?

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
Have you considered the Santa Cruz Tallboy or 5010? Both can be had in aluminum for well under $4k brand new (and the 5010 in carbon right at $4k), with a highly reputable lifetime warranty. You aren't going to get that warranty if you go used. The new Tallboy has the travel of a trail/XC bike with the geometry of an enduro rig; it'll get you up the hill quickly and be very capable on the way down. The 5010 is just amazing with how playful and capable it is. It is my favorite bike in my stable, makes mellow trails come to life and is an absolute blast at the bike park as well.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 12:03 Quote
crj5 wrote:
Have you considered the Santa Cruz Tallboy or 5010? Both can be had in aluminum for well under $4k brand new (and the 5010 in carbon right at $4k), with a highly reputable lifetime warranty. You aren't going to get that warranty if you go used. The new Tallboy has the travel of a trail/XC bike with the geometry of an enduro rig; it'll get you up the hill quickly and be very capable on the way down. The 5010 is just amazing with how playful and capable it is. It is my favorite bike in my stable, makes mellow trails come to life and is an absolute blast at the bike park as well.

isnt the 5010 a little short with a slack STA

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
englertracing wrote:
crj5 wrote:
Have you considered the Santa Cruz Tallboy or 5010? Both can be had in aluminum for well under $4k brand new (and the 5010 in carbon right at $4k), with a highly reputable lifetime warranty. You aren't going to get that warranty if you go used. The new Tallboy has the travel of a trail/XC bike with the geometry of an enduro rig; it'll get you up the hill quickly and be very capable on the way down. The 5010 is just amazing with how playful and capable it is. It is my favorite bike in my stable, makes mellow trails come to life and is an absolute blast at the bike park as well.

isnt the 5010 a little short with a slack STA

The slack STA isn't so bad because the bike doesn't sag as much as longer travel bikes which require extremely steep STAs to be decent at climbing. The firm pedaling platform of the upper link VPP is also efficient, further compensating for any shortcomings of the STA.

Are you referring to reach, ETT, or wheelbase when you say it is short? The reach of the 5010 is actually longer than a "bigger" bike like the Bronson, and the wheelbase is only 24mm shorter. The 5010 is not really a long bike, but I wouldn't call it short either.

Increasing the fork travel slackens the HTA a little which makes it capable for what I ride it on.

You can pick the numbers apart as much as you want, but when you ride this bike it climbs like a goat and is just a blast on the descents. I think SC nailed the design, keeping both playfulness and capability.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 18:24 Quote
There is nothing wrong with Santa Cruz...
For other people.

I was just never a fan of their bikes. They appealed to me the same as a mackerel does for people that don't eat fish.

They're just not my type.

YT Jeffsy sounds interesting. I'd be open to the option, but I like the idea of a Yeti or Pivot better.

Remember: 25% is bling. I don't have much 'status materialism' in my life, but I definitely have it in mtbing. I need the bike to give me a bike b*ner.

And if you don't understand it, that's fine. I'm very honest with myself about these things. I had a pretty bland Cannondale, but after 2 years of ownership, hello carbon bars, blinged wheels, fork that matches the paint scheme.... Some of us get enjoyment out of that.

Also, I'm spending like 4k on something used. I don't want my casual-biking-nurse-neighbor to have the same rig when they bike once a month by the beach and I'm dedicating 3-5 days a week, and driving hours to find the good stuff.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 18:27 Quote
Intense Primer?
Intense Sniper?
Thoughts?
(Also: Yeti 5.5? 4.5?)

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 18:53 Quote
Well 150/140 kinda sounds what your looking for, sb-130 is the ball park, you could build a marino from custom geo.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 5:47 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
you could build a marino from custom geo.
That's really cool!

I'm not too knowledgeable about proper geometry, so I don't think I can do that.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
Jebus675 wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:
you could build a marino from custom geo.
That's really cool!

I'm not too knowledgeable about proper geometry, so I don't think I can do that.

Alternatively, along the marino line, you could consider a semi custom frame from these guys. I am just going through this with them and there are less options to work out. Maybe just start with what your are looking for and see what you can work out with them. https://ferrumbikes.com/product/nvs-semi-custom-chromoly-steel-full-suspension-frame/

They also have frame sets with DVO sus and dropper if thats your thing.
https://ferrumbikes.com/product-category/chromoly-steel-full-suspension-framesets/?filter_rear-wheel-travel=145mm-rear-travel

I have been pretty happy dealing with them. I am trying to work out some things with my tenant and I ordering together and using a buy now pay later type program in Canada, since we cannot use the paypal offer they have unfortunately, and they have been super helpful trying to work with us and figure out some sort of solution.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 16:04 Quote
Ibis Ripley (the new one)? Ibis always seems to prioritize climbing efficiency over super plush DH. New Ripley has great "trail" geometry, threaded BB, and the paint colors don't look like the bike was dipped in a box of Crayons (cough... Intense).

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 20:31 Quote
andeh23 wrote:
the paint colors don't look like the bike was dipped in a box of Crayons (cough... Intense).

Haha... Yah... I love/hate Intense schemes. Their red/yellow scheme on the carbine is great, but 90% of the others are trash.

I do like the Ripley and the Ripmo. I'll see if I can find one in the budget.

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013395
Mobile Version of Website