Beat-up Downcountry or Pampered Enduro Rig? (Bike Choice Help)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Beat-up Downcountry or Pampered Enduro Rig? (Bike Choice Help)
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 0:32 Quote
The Evil Offering climbs better than any evil before it. I'm surprised it's not on the list. The geo is fully modern. It's a super fun, playful bike that likes to jump. Traction in spades and no need to flip a climb switch. You can run a 140, 150, or 160 fork.
Highly recommended!

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 5:39 Quote
Rusty-Russ wrote:
The Evil Offering climbs better than any evil before it. I'm surprised it's not on the list. The geo is fully modern. It's a super fun, playful bike that likes to jump. Traction in spades and no need to flip a climb switch. You can run a 140, 150, or 160 fork.
Highly recommended!
Thanks for the recommendation!

Worldwide Cyclery is kind of near me and they have a large I could demo. That bike and the sb130 are probably on the top of my demo list.

Only reason I didn't put it on the first list is because I can't find a used one for reasonably cheap.

Any thoughts on Rocky Mountain Instinct? There's a nice 'BC' version near me, but I think 160mm on a 29er is far too excessive for the riding I do.

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
Jebus675 wrote:
Intense Primer?
Intense Sniper?
Thoughts?
(Also: Yeti 5.5? 4.5?)

Intense sniper will be getting an upgrade in a month or so. Should be getting a 130mm travel trail version. That's the definition of down country.
I'm on a Lightcarbon lcfs958 which I deem the perfect trail bike. 130mm flexstay suspension, 470 reach on large, 444 chainstays, 75 degree seatube, 67 headangle. 2450 grams frame weight.

Doesn't strike your bling factor unless you do like me and have Trickstuff brakes, CK hubs, Di2, carbon cranks etc.

I have photos in my bio of it. Can't seem to figure out posting them.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 13:51 Quote
The comment about Evil bikes was a bit silly. My Calling climbs as well as any bike I've owned (Ibis, SC, Niner, list goes on) and is a blast on the downs. If they hadn't come out with the Offering, no way I'd be parting with it. Up until VERY recently, a 74.8 degree seat tube angle was not considered slack in the least and I read that at Eurobike they introduced saddles that are on these rail things that allow you to position the saddle forward or back, significantly reducing the effect of seat angle.

I'd look at Evil Offering, Ibis Mojo 3, and YT. Mojo 3 is just a great all around bike and I rode it on everything form XC trails to park in CO (while getting very funny looks from people). Evil Offering is the best bike I've ever ridden, followed closely by the Calling. YT Jeffsy just gives you excellent bang for the buck.

I'd looks past the Jet9RDO btw. By the time you build it up to handle hard riding, it will be no better off than any other choice for climbing and tame riding. Get a bike that will handle the hardest stuff you'll do and just pedal a little harder sometimes.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 20:52 Quote
mfmediocremtb wrote:
The comment about Evil bikes was a bit silly. My Calling climbs as well as any bike I've owned (Ibis, SC, Niner, list goes on) and is a blast on the downs. If they hadn't come out with the Offering, no way I'd be parting with it. Up until VERY recently, a 74.8 degree seat tube angle was not considered slack in the least and I read that at Eurobike they introduced saddles that are on these rail things that allow you to position the saddle forward or back, significantly reducing the effect of seat angle.

I'd look at Evil Offering, Ibis Mojo 3, and YT. Mojo 3 is just a great all around bike and I rode it on everything form XC trails to park in CO (while getting very funny looks from people). Evil Offering is the best bike I've ever ridden, followed closely by the Calling. YT Jeffsy just gives you excellent bang for the buck.

I'd looks past the Jet9RDO btw. By the time you build it up to handle hard riding, it will be no better off than any other choice for climbing and tame riding. Get a bike that will handle the hardest stuff you'll do and just pedal a little harder sometimes.

Do you run the lockout for climbing?
Are you tall? Slack seat tube angles really f*ck tall people who run their Saddle high

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 5:24 Quote
mfmediocremtb wrote:
By the time you build [a cross country bike] up to handle hard riding, it will be no better off than any other choice for climbing and tame riding. Get a bike that will handle the hardest stuff you'll do and just pedal a little harder sometimes.

Technically, this is the only comment that directly responds to my dilemma. What do you guys think?

I've ridden a GT Marathon quite hard for quite a while and I LOVED it. But... I think that bike was done after 2 years. The bearings in the i-drive needed to be replaced, the xx1 drivetrain was running out of tension, and the suspension... Oh boy...

RIP9 RDO? I love the new color scheme and some places are ALREADY dropping the price... Maybe it's a sign of some hard times to come for Niner... To be honest, I think the new RIP9 with the 'sand' paint is the only exceptionally good looking Niner. The others look... bland.

On another note: is it just my local bike shops or do they have a tendency to stock bikes with the most 'vanilla' options? 90% of the bikes at the 'best' bike shop in my area were Giant or Santa Cruz, with each one being a variation of 'I'm an accountant gray' or 'Ooooohhh I'm edgy and dark black' or 'Look how original I'm not dark red.'

WHERE ARE THE PINK AND TEAL SANTA CRUZES? Is BMW determining the color options nowadays? The best looking bike there was a Mondraker Foxy RR, and that's a flat out enduro rig...

Another bike to consider: Orbea Occam?

Bike that are 'winning' atm: Evil Offering and Calling; Yeti SB5 (there's a nice one for sale that I might look into); Jet 9 and RIP9

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
But... I think that bike was done after 2 years. The bearings in the i-drive needed to be replaced, the xx1 drivetrain was running out of tension, and the suspension... Oh boy...

Stuff needs servicing!
New bearings, cassette, chain, chain rings, shock service...

All that is once a year stuff foe me. I'd be delighted to get a year out of a drive chain, I'd service my shock and fork twice a year, bearing as and when they need doing.

I ran a giant reign from 2006 to 2014 until the frame cracked.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 20:19 Quote
tall-martin wrote:
But... I think that bike was done after 2 years. The bearings in the i-drive needed to be replaced, the xx1 drivetrain was running out of tension, and the suspension... Oh boy...

Stuff needs servicing!
New bearings, cassette, chain, chain rings, shock service...

All that is once a year stuff foe me. I'd be delighted to get a year out of a drive chain, I'd service my shock and fork twice a year, bearing as and when they need doing.

I ran a giant reign from 2006 to 2014 until the frame cracked.
Man! How often do you ride!

I ride about once a week and my trigger lasted around 2-3 years, but it didn't feel like it rattled itself to pieces like the marathon. But, I think California might be dryer than the UK.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 23:17 Quote
Once or twice a week, with the odd 4 day week over holidays.

The peak District in the UK has famously grindy mud. Loads of Mill stone came from here because it was so good for grinding wheat. Turns out it's also excellent for eating drive chain :-)

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 20:31 Quote
I have a 5.5 climbs great and handles any descent I have been on....i primarily ride trails lots of climbs and descents...eill not be sorry

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 21:44 Quote
How about a revel rascal?

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 21:47 Quote
Chummer100 wrote:
I have a 5.5 climbs great and handles any descent I have been on....i primarily ride trails lots of climbs and descents...eill not be sorry

I'll see if I can find and ride one (briefly) before purchase. Definitely interested, but worried it would be overkill.

Mntneer wrote:

Cool bike. I have a Worldwide Cyclery somewhat nearby, so I'll look into it. Have you ridden it? Do you like it?

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 21:52 Quote
wrote:
Mntneer wrote:

Cool bike. I have a Worldwide Cyclery somewhat nearby, so I'll look into it. Have you ridden it? Do you like it?

I had a Canfield Riot, which is an aluminum 140/140 bike with similar geometry and the same suspension design, and I thought that it was an amazing bike. Great under power and while descending

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009041
Mobile Version of Website