Heat Sink / Finned brake pads who's tried what...? any other Mix and Match successes?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Heat Sink / Finned brake pads who's tried what...? any other Mix and Match successes?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 16:18 Quote
While building a new-to-me Devinci, I've been on a crash course to understand new MTB tech and standards etc... 1 thing I was excited to see is the " heat sinks" on brake pads..makes perfect sense ....

Between the now common Shimano take to the Uberbike replaceable pad options, Recon-AirCon, BrakeCo, Alligator, Eclypse, Koolstop/Aero-Cool.. & i'm sure there are more, the options are growing..

Eclypse - Walmart sold heatsink brake pads
Eclypse Heat sink pads - avail. at WALMART !?

Swisstop Exotherm Heat sink brake pads...

Alligator Turbo finned pads..

I started looking for options that fit the Hope V4/ E4 calipers and got blanked... Searched the web looking for posts from anyone who had tested mixing and matching pads to these calipers, & I found a report of some one testing the Shimano finned pads with the Hope Mono M4 caliper with some success after modifying them to fit...despite the naysayers... glad to see some one tried it... the V4 / E4 is the successor to the Mono M4 with virtually the same pad shape and design,...so....

Shimano Saint/Zee finned pads look almost exactly like the shape of the Hope V4 pads, both run 4 piston calipers, handle similar sized rotor options, use similarly sized pistons, & the pad pin hole looked to be in the same place etc....

Kool Stop makes a Saint/Zee Aero-Cool option, & I decided to try 'em, the "Heat Sink" design w/ tall back plate & 30-35 + - metal pins reaching out aggressively into the air looked to be the most effective...

The Proper Saint Zee compatible Aero-Cool Brake pads - Work with HOPE E4 V4 calipers PLUG-N-PLAY

Kool Stop AeroCool Heatsink pads test fitted into Hope V4 brake calipers

Pads literally DROPPED right in!... no mods, no trimming, grinding, no interference in any way, no clipping off pins...etc.

Test fitting Hope Brakes with Kool stop finned pads KoolStop Aero-Kool Shimano Saint Zee pads

KoolStop AeroKool Shimano Saint Zee pads fit PERFECTLY into Hope V4 E4 calipers

the pad locator pins popped right in as usual, and the little pin retainer clip popped back on perfectly..
I cant believe no one else on Hopes has tried this yet....?

KoolStop Aero-Cool Heatsink pads test fitted into Hope V4 brake calipers

So far so good, I've only done 2 short rides without a ton of DH & heavy braking, they are still bedding in properly i'm sure,..they are a lose fit vs tight and i thought id hear them rattle on descents but nope...they are quiet and bite REALLY WELL already...

1st test ride feels awesome ... last bike i rode was a 1998 20 year old custom restored and upgraded FSR Max BB Elite Pro frame...with a custom 27.5 ft. wheel setup... lots of getting used to it coming the front feels so strange with a giant feeling 29 in wheel tire ... .

***...after reading some of the comments on some threads, I'm amazed at the number of riders who instantly baulk at modifying any component or part if/as needed to suit. So many just don't really seem to understand even the basics of metal fatigue, stress cycles, components design, just general mechanical "stuff". I've done alot of this adaptation on my bikes and cars etc. over the years with great results,....I'm no engineer, just tons of practical experience and a li'l common sense.
Within reason, you can make MANY things work together that aren't specifically meant to originally...with little risk, just need a bit of ingenuity, research, common sense, & mechanical skills..***

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 9:17 Quote
I use Saint finned pads in my Hope M4 calipers, but had to file away about 1mm from each end of the pad to be able to slide it into the caliper.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 10:20 Quote
In my experience, the finned pads do very little for you in terms of heat management. I ran the nice Shimano rotor,XTR, with regular pads,no finns, and an xt rotor with finned pads. The difference was probably about 15-20 degrees after a 5-minute run. The rotor is what makes the difference not the pads.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
In my experience, the finned pads do very little for you in terms of heat management. I ran the nice Shimano rotor,XTR, with regular pads,no finns, and an xt rotor with finned pads. The difference was probably about 15-20 degrees after a 5-minute run. The rotor is what makes the difference not the pads.

I think you are probably spot on. I assume there is little differences in the types w/ smaller extensions, short fins.
One reason i went with the Kool stops, the horizontal multi pin heatsink design design looks to be more effective at pulling that heat energy away from the pads & rotors.

I've only used the 2 piece floating Hope rotors for years now, I figure pad cooling tech is probably most effective at a place you are dropping mega distances like these guys in europe riding the alps and such. or long repeated bike park & shuttle runs etc, but they do look pretty slick ;-)

I'd prefer black or silver tho....ill either strip the weak red ano. color off these w/ Easy-Off or mist them with black paint or something to blend them in visually a bit better.

FWIW : these current Hope tech brakes & levers are so freakin' impressive (as usual). I'm looking at dropping the rear 205 rotor to a 185 and i'm still a fattie these days lol.

Workin' on that.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
the-one1 wrote:
I use Saint finned pads in my Hope M4 calipers, but had to file away about 1mm from each end of the pad to be able to slide it into the caliper.

Yeah, I read of some one (maybe it was you ;-) ) trying that with success a while ago..

That's where I got the idea that maybe the Saint/Zee spec. pad is the best bet, I figured I'd be modifying which ever brand I chose as well. then i lucked out on the V4/ E4 combo & It seems Hope made the V4/E4 calipers a touch longer than the M4 so the Saint/Zee - AeroCool pads drop in like they were made for 'em.

Props for the M4 brakes! I never got a chance to use them, I've been running a cpl of " classic" Mono6Ti calipers up front on two bikes with a Mono Mini out back. with 0 issues for years.

My plan was to run one of my 6 piston M6 calipers up front with an M4 in back on this build, then I found an ebay auction for the specific V4 ft / E4 rr combo i'd dreamed of buying for this build,.... if i could afford $600+ for a set of bike brakes! ( 3/4 of what i paid for the frame/shock w/bb/headset!)

Even after my $253 offer was accepted! I didn't believe it really happened till they arrived..

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 5:49 Quote
You should know that most people just like to buy pads and ride without doing 3 page expertise on compatibility with other vendors etc. They look at their brake vendor pads, choose compatible shape, maybe choose between metalic and resin and thats about it.
I think thats how its suppose to be in 99% case of riders, there shouldn't be 3 page expertise needed for stopping the bike.
For remaining 1% your expertise is welcome addition :-)

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 5:40 Quote
ShredG wrote:
While building a new-to-me Devinci, I've been on a crash course to understand new MTB tech and standards etc... 1 thing I was excited to see is the " heat sinks" on brake pads..makes perfect sense ....

Between the now common Shimano take to the Uberbike replaceable pad options, Recon-AirCon, BrakeCo, Alligator, Eclypse, Koolstop/Aero-Cool.. & i'm sure there are more, the options are growing..

Eclypse - Walmart sold heatsink brake pads
Eclypse Heat sink pads - avail. at WALMART !?

Swisstop Exotherm Heat sink brake pads...

Alligator Turbo finned pads..

I started looking for options that fit the Hope V4/ E4 calipers and got blanked... Searched the web looking for posts from anyone who had tested mixing and matching pads to these calipers, & I found a report of some one testing the Shimano finned pads with the Hope Mono M4 caliper with some success after modifying them to fit...despite the naysayers... glad to see some one tried it... the V4 / E4 is the successor to the Mono M4 with virtually the same pad shape and design,...so....

Shimano Saint/Zee finned pads look almost exactly like the shape of the Hope V4 pads, both run 4 piston calipers, handle similar sized rotor options, use similarly sized pistons, & the pad pin hole looked to be in the same place etc....

Kool Stop makes a Saint/Zee Aero-Cool option, & I decided to try 'em, the "Heat Sink" design w/ tall back plate & 30-35 + - metal pins reaching out aggressively into the air looked to be the most effective...

The Proper Saint Zee compatible Aero-Cool Brake pads - Work with HOPE E4 V4 calipers PLUG-N-PLAY

Pads literally DROPPED right in!... no mods, no trimming, grinding, no interference in any way, no clipping off pins...etc.

Test fitting Hope Brakes with Kool stop finned pads KoolStop Aero-Kool Shimano Saint Zee pads

KoolStop AeroKool Shimano Saint Zee pads fit PERFECTLY into Hope V4 E4 calipers

the pad locator pins popped right in as usual, and the little pin retainer clip popped back on perfectly..
I cant believe no one else on Hopes has tried this yet....?

KoolStop Aero-Cool Heatsink pads test fitted into Hope V4 brake calipers

So far so good, I've only done 2 short rides without a ton of DH & heavy braking, they are still bedding in properly i'm sure,..they are a lose fit vs tight and i thought id hear them rattle on descents but nope...they are quiet and bite REALLY WELL already...

1st test ride feels awesome ... last bike i rode was a 1998 20 year old custom restored and upgraded FSR Max BB Elite Pro frame...with a custom 27.5 ft. wheel setup... lots of getting used to it coming the front feels so strange with a giant feeling 29 in wheel tire ... .

***...after reading some of the comments on some threads, I'm amazed at the number of riders who instantly baulk at modifying any component or part if/as needed to suit. So many just don't really seem to understand even the basics of metal fatigue, stress cycles, components design, just general mechanical "stuff". I've done alot of this adaptation on my bikes and cars etc. over the years with great results,....I'm no engineer, just tons of practical experience and a li'l common sense.
Within reason, you can make MANY things work together that aren't specifically meant to originally...with little risk, just need a bit of ingenuity, research, common sense, & mechanical skills..***

Great post! I often modify things to get the result I want and usually with excellent results.

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 13:30 Quote
thanks ;- )

I've since done the rears as well and addressed the funky red orange ano..

Installation in the rear was a bit more of a test as the E4 calipers im running in back are about 4mm shorter than the V4 so the Pads needed to be modified i would say easily, but perhaps signicifantly

I documented it all, I'll put the post together soon for the heck of it..not many will care but a cpl might wanna try if only to do something a bit different..

;-)

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013200
Mobile Version of Website