Best bike for small women

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Best bike for small women
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 3:54 Quote
hiya. 5’2” weighing 120 pounds. Looking for a new enduro/ gravity bike. Currently on extra small Trek Lush SL which has been great but ready for a step up inc more travel. Would like longer wheelbase but with similarly low standover. Not fussed about stability as have good balance on bike (would prefer something fun and nimble) but would like a bit more power to keep up with the boys. Would prefer a non female specific bike if I’m honest (that’s just for cool factor really ????????).
All suggestions welcome (except giant ????) I’m in Australia. Thanks

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 21:56 Quote
cfd wrote:
hiya. 5’2” weighing 120 pounds. Looking for a new enduro/ gravity bike. Currently on extra small Trek Lush SL which has been great but ready for a step up inc more travel. Would like longer wheelbase but with similarly low standover. Not fussed about stability as have good balance on bike (would prefer something fun and nimble) but would like a bit more power to keep up with the boys. Would prefer a non female specific bike if I’m honest (that’s just for cool factor really ????????).

Curious as to why not Giant? How about Liv? I know you said not a women specific bike, but the new 2020 Intrigue Advanced is amazing. The Rainbow Black colour is gorgeous too, but stealth gorgeous, not flashy gorgeous. The Hail would be more enduro and I believe the 2019 came in Rainbow Black. The nice thing about women specific bikes is that they usually have lower standover and are designed more for us shorties (I am also 5'2") and the suspension is usually tuned for lighter riders as well.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 17:39 Quote
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. I only say no to Giant because there are literally EVERYWHERE in Australia and so it’s purely from a cool factor (which I know shouldn’t really matter but kinda does!) and no to women’s specific because I don’t like asthetics of the colours and geometry mostly (again vanity!!). I know it makes sense in terms of standover and suspension but I can’t help thinking there are some pretty tiny women riding at a professional level and you never see them riding women’s models and that always makes me wonder....

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 15:46 Quote
My wife is 5'1" and loves her transition patrol, it is a 2016 but I think the geo is still pretty similar

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
The Norco Fluid FS 2 Women's Mountain Bike is an exciting and fascinating journey. Great for long trips, but sensitive and flexible, and fun to play and exercise. This bike is best for small women

Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 9:56 Quote
I know this post is from a couple months ago but I’m 5’0 and currently riding a pivot Mach 5.5. It’s not a women’s specific bike. I’m totally with you on the giant/Liv thing.. I literally refuse to buy one because they’re all pink.. it feels condescending. Lol. However, the pivot freakin shreds. It’s a 160/140 perfect for all kinds riding.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2020 at 21:18 Quote
KatieKillz wrote:
I know this post is from a couple months ago but I’m 5’0 and currently riding a pivot Mach 5.5. It’s not a women’s specific bike. I’m totally with you on the giant/Liv thing.. I literally refuse to buy one because they’re all pink.. it feels condescending. Lol. However, the pivot freakin shreds. It’s a 160/140 perfect for all kinds riding.

My 2020 Liv Intrigue Advanced is a gorgeous black colour. It definitely is NOT pink!!!

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 17:07 Quote
Bummer you are so against a Giant. My wife is 5'4" and loves her Intrigue Advanced 1 (2019). Black and red. Super sexy in a way that makes me want to ride it. No pink, purple, or teal in sight. Big ol 150mm 36 on it . Mean bike and light.

New 2020 is murdered out.

Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 19:33 Quote
Hey everyone!

(I figured I'd tag onto this thread, rather than start my own. But I'm new here, so someone feel free to call me out if this is against the forum rules.)

I'm hoping to get some lady-focused opinions on wheel size.

I heard/read somewhere that 29" wheels aren't a great fit for smaller riders. I think it was something about being unwieldy and hard to wrangle uphill? Anyway, does anyone on here have experience or opinions about the different wheelbases? Is it worth testing out? So far, I've only tried the 27.5" variety.

As a total n00b, I'm spending this season trying out lots of demos to see what combination of elements makes up the "right" bike for me, at least for a first mtb.

Wheel size seems pretty binary--comparatively. (Correct me if I'm wrong here!) So, if there's consensus that 29ers are un-fun for the more "fun-sized" of us, then it's one less thing to deal with, you know? For reference, I'm 5'4"

Thanks!

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 19:57 Quote
linearsynergy wrote:
Hey everyone!

(I figured I'd tag onto this thread, rather than start my own. But I'm new here, so someone feel free to call me out if this is against the forum rules.)

I'm hoping to get some lady-focused opinions on wheel size.

I heard/read somewhere that 29" wheels aren't a great fit for smaller riders. I think it was something about being unwieldy and hard to wrangle uphill? Anyway, does anyone on here have experience or opinions about the different wheelbases? Is it worth testing out? So far, I've only tried the 27.5" variety.

As a total n00b, I'm spending this season trying out lots of demos to see what combination of elements makes up the "right" bike for me, at least for a first mtb.

Wheel size seems pretty binary--comparatively. (Correct me if I'm wrong here!) So, if there's consensus that 29ers are un-fun for the more "fun-sized" of us, then it's one less thing to deal with, you know? For reference, I'm 5'4"

Thanks!

Not a woman, but my wife will never get on this site, so all I can do is relay info. She is 5'4" and had a 29" Giant/Liv (maybe an Anthem?) It was her first real bike and she did not like it.
Next bike was a 27.5 Liv (sorry can't remember all the names) She loved it, but it was an XC bike and she wanted something a little more versitle.
She is now on a Liv Intrigue Advanced 1 27.5 and loves it.
All of these bikes were nice well designed bikes, I don't know if changes have been made on small 29ers, but you still see some companies changing wheel sizes down to 27.5 for small and xs frames.

I am not a bike engineer, but I think it would be hard to make smaller 29" bikes have solid geo.

All this being said, go demo some bikes like you said that are 29" and see if you like them. Only real way to know.

Posted: Jul 18, 2020 at 18:35 Quote
cfd wrote:
Pivot Mach 5.5 in XS would be one of the best bikes to fit your needs. My wife is 5'1" and she rips on the Mach 5.5 with its 140 mm rear travel and 160MM on the front. She does run 2.35 tires instead of the 2.6 stock wheels and tires. The other choice is the new 2020 Trek fuel in XS or Small with 27.5 wheels. I would stay away from the 29" wheeled bikes at your height.

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
Hi ladies.. I am new here.. I am 4'11 finding a bike to fit me is EXHAUSTING also every single place is out of anything that would fit me...

I want to start bikepacking ...mixed terrain.. definitely needs to be able to handle dirt roads and whatnot...I have tested the 42cm LHT ...a be little to talk on standover and I felt like it just wasn't comfortable for me to reach the brakes or the ground...the guy at the shop told me I just had to get used to that position...umm..no sir...I still wouldn't be able to be flat footed without hitting contact points. Also I would like something that sat a little more upright .

Any suggestions or leads... I think my standover is at 685

Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
tbrown0203 wrote:
Hi ladies.. I am new here.. I am 4'11 finding a bike to fit me is EXHAUSTING also every single place is out of anything that would fit me...

I want to start bikepacking ...mixed terrain.. definitely needs to be able to handle dirt roads and whatnot...I have tested the 42cm LHT ...a be little to talk on standover and I felt like it just wasn't comfortable for me to reach the brakes or the ground...the guy at the shop told me I just had to get used to that position...umm..no sir...I still wouldn't be able to be flat footed without hitting contact points. Also I would like something that sat a little more upright .

Any suggestions or leads... I think my standover is at 685

Any interest in doing a full custom build from the frame up?

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 6:45 Quote
I think that would be out of my price range.

Posted: Sep 1, 2020 at 5:12 Quote
https://www.marinobike.com/

http://www.waltlytitanium.com/

Check these out. There are many other affordable makers of bikes as well, but these are two to get started.

I don't know what Waltly is asking these days but a few years ago it was right around $600-700 for a completely custom titanium frame.

You can grab a Marino for under $500 shipped with lots of bells and whistles.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015400
Mobile Version of Website