Sizing

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
I'm trying to figure out what size bike to get. I'm 6'4" and every size chart says I should ride an XL and a couple months ago I rode a 2019 XL Evil insurgent and it was the most comfortable and capable bike I have have ever ridden. Unfortunately there is no way I can afford to drop 6k on a bike. I have found a bike that has similar geometry but the reach and stack are a little different. The XL insurgent has a reach of 468mm and stack of 627mm. The bike I'm looking at is the Vitus Sommet. The Large has a reach of 470mm and stack of 611mm where as the XL has a reach of 495mm and stack of 611mm. Any recommendations/thoughts in what size I should get?

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 7:14 Quote
dirthogg91 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what size bike to get. I'm 6'4" and every size chart says I should ride an XL and a couple months ago I rode a 2019 XL Evil insurgent and it was the most comfortable and capable bike I have have ever ridden. Unfortunately there is no way I can afford to drop 6k on a bike. I have found a bike that has similar geometry but the reach and stack are a little different. The XL insurgent has a reach of 468mm and stack of 627mm. The bike I'm looking at is the Vitus Sommet. The Large has a reach of 470mm and stack of 611mm where as the XL has a reach of 495mm and stack of 611mm. Any recommendations/thoughts in what size I should get?
Check out the top tube lengths. The Vitus has a steeper seat tube which shortens the top tube length compared to the reach. The XL Vitus and XL Evil have basically the same top tube length, but your body position is just shifted forward. You should not be on a large by any means, you should definitely be on an XL and with some brands maybe even an XXL.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
At 6ft 4in, you'll be on an XL on most bikes.

I'm 6ft 3in and ride an XL vitus escarpe 275, 495mm reach. I've just ordered an XXL 29 Jeffsy CF Pro race, 510mm reach but an ETT within 5mm due to the much steeper SA.

I'd say 468mm reach would be a bit short for you.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:57 Quote
Don't worry too much about the nominal size. You've probably experienced it with clothes: maybe you fit a Medium in one brand that fits super long, while XXL in other brands is too wide and too short. Bikes can be the same way.

I'm 6' and really enjoying a bike with 500 mm reach and 623 mm stack. I'd like to see you on something larger than the XL Sommet. One of my main riding partners is 6'4" or 6'5" and finally got a huge bike in 2017; it's a whole new sport for him and he's visibly comfortable on a bike for the first time.

Here's a list of all bikes on the market with a normalized reach (adjusted to a constant stack) of 520 mm or greater, excluding a couple exotics:

• Bird Aeris 145
• Bird Aeris 160
• Bird AM9
• Canyon Strive
• Giant Reign 29
• Guerrilla Gravity: various models
• Knolly Delirium
• Knolly Warden LT
• Last Glen
• Marin Rift Zone
• NS Synonym RC
• Nukeproof Mega 290
• Orange Switch 6
• Privateer 161
• Santa Cruz: All models in size XXL
• Specialized 2019 Enduro
• Transition Sentinel
• Trek Fuel EX 29
• YT Jeffsy 29

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 13:52 Quote
I'd lean towards the XL. It's a good match for top tube. The top tube influences your feeling of being stretched out (or not) in a seated position, and you can tweak further with different length stems and sliding saddle back and forth, as well as spacers under stem to get closer to the Insurgent's bar height at the front. Reach has more influence on fit/handling in a standing position, and the reach on the XL Sommet is nicely on-trend.

Comparison here: https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/evil-insurgent-2017-xl-low,vitus-sommet-vr-2018-48cm-19,vitus-sommet-vr-2018-52cm-20-5/

R-M-R provides an interesting list of others to consider. The website I run - geometrygeeks.bike - now has a 'search by numbers' feature (warning - we charge a fiver!) that might help find a few more, if you know the stack/reach/TT/etc ranges you're looking for.

Happy hunting!

Bob

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 22:12 Quote
Thanks for all the help!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009266
Mobile Version of Website