120-140mm travel trail bike help

PB Forum :: 29ers
120-140mm travel trail bike help
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 21:24 Quote
I'm looking to get a 29er trail bike. I'm coming from a 26 with 120 travel front and rear. I'm have huge buyer indecision and can't seem to narrow it down at all. Any suggestions to help me narrow things down would be awesome. Thanks to all.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 9:21 Quote
Depends on how much you are looking to spend.
Here are a few bikes I have ridden and how they stack up.

Intense Primer - Good pedaling bike, feels great going up and down, many build options for budget . Can get the Foundation build for $2800
Yeti SB130 - Great pedaling bike, Also feel great up and down, playful and the sizing fit me good. Starts at $5200.. expensive
Scott Spark - 120mm travel, feels more like a XC/Trail bike but is super capable bike, lacks a little travel on bigger features so not as plush as the other three bikes but climbs amazing. Multiple build options. but I would go with at least the 920 gx version.
Santa Cruz Hightower - I really wanted to like this bike, but I just couldnt find a size that fit me right. Great bike though and pedals good not great (little bob compared to the other bikes), feels really good on the down and actually feels like it has more travel than it has. Is also quite expensive for a Carbon GX version. $4500+
When I was looking at these, I was testing the Carbon versions with at least a XT or GX drivetrain.

For me and those four bikes and for what I ride ( some XC but mostly harder trail, and light enduro rides)
1.Yeti SB 130
2. Intense Primer
3. Santa Cruz Hightower
4. Scott Spark ( I would move this bike up to #2 if it was just Xc and Trail riding.

Other bike makers that produce great bikes are:
Transition
Evil
Orbea
Trek
Specialized
etc. Pretty much every major bike make has stepped up and makes good trail bikes so I think you will be surprised and happy with just about anything you get.

Good Luck

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 14:13 Quote
For me and those four bikes and for what I ride ( some XC but mostly harder trail, and light enduro rides)
1.Yeti SB 130
2. Intense Primer
3. Santa Cruz Hightower
4. Scott Spark ( I would move this bike up to #2 if it was just Xc and Trail riding.

Other bike makers that produce great bikes are:
Transition
Evil
Orbea
Trek
Specialized
etc. Pretty much every major bike make has stepped up and makes good trail bikes so I think you will be surprised and happy with just about anything you get.

Good Luck[/Quote]

I was able to pedal the spark around a parking lot the other week. It felt good to me but was hard to compare. Since the bike shops where I live only stock a couple of options in size and variety and tend to only demo Enduro bikes or downhill bikes. There is a place that sell Santa Cruz so I will head over there soon. And I might be able to find a yeti within a couple of hours so I'll try to get to them too Thanks for the tips.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 10:55 Quote
I don't know what size you are but this is a decent deal on a new 2019:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/santa-cruz-bicycles-hightower-lt-carbon-s-complete-mountain-bike?avad=193258_c170504cd

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 16:33 Quote
I just picked up a 19 Hightower from Colorado Cyclist, discounted 10%. Not a ton off, but better than retail. I have not had an issue with any pedal bob on any of my SC's. I have a 19 HTLT, HT, and just sold my 18 Tallboy. The HTLT is actually more fun, but doesn't pedal quite as well and weighs a tad more. Living in the foothills of NC, I have my local bike and my "mtn" bike.

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 19:42 Quote
Switched from a 2012 26" Santa Cruz Super light to a 2018 Norco Optic A9.1 29er, without demoing (Norco was blowing out this model)

Really enjoy the new bike for my type of riding.
Find out surprisingly nimble for what I was expecting from a 29er.
The 2019 carbon model seems on same currently.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 17:00 Quote
I have been riding a Transition Smuggler since last fall, have been really impressed. Have always had longer travel enduro / DH bikes and am really surprised how well this thing handles the rocky terrain I ride. I would definitely give it a look.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 19:42 Quote
I have a Banshee Prime which is a nice “All Mountain” bike. 140/150 front 135 rear. 29er with middle of the road geometry.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 0:56 Quote
New addition. Sweet bike. 2020 Kona 134 29er. 134/140 travel. You should check it out.

photo

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 9:31 Quote
Marin Rift Zone! Great price great bike

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
Commencal meta tr 29 or stumpjumper evo 29. Good value for a price if downhill is your priority.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 10:47 Quote
dbhender wrote:
New addition. Sweet bike. 2020 Kona 134 29er. 134/140 travel. You should check it out.

photo

How is the ride?

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 12:33 Quote
Cannondale Habit Carbon. It's a new bike for 2019. 29" FS with 140mm front/ 130mm rear. Nice bike spec for the money.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 14:33 Quote
MBUK have a review of the following in this month's edition:
Intense Sniper Train Expert
Scott Spark 930
Cannondale Scalpel SI Carbon
Specialized Epic Comp Carbon EVO

They prefer the Intense out of these. I have no experience on any of these manufactures so this is just MBUK's view but they are usually pretty well thought of.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 16:43 Quote
ninjanoir78 wrote:
dbhender wrote:

photo

How is the ride?

Pretty fricken awesome. It rides like its a bigger bike but is poppy and playfull. Loves being airborne. Has inspired confidence and made me a better rider already. Love it. Plan to bump the front travel to 150mm eventually.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015072
Mobile Version of Website