Done with shimano, need brake recommendations

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Done with shimano, need brake recommendations
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 10:59 Quote
Hey,

Was recently servicing some Shimano Saints I bought on a second-hand bike until I broke one of the ceramic pistons. Shimano doesn't sell replacements and I don't want to spend $120 on a new caliper if it's from Shimano. So, I'm in the market for a new brake manufacturer to switch over to. I have a Hayes ACE Stroker on my trail bike that I like a lot, and I hear Hayes sells their pistons. Any other recommendations? The Shimano brake that needs replaced is for my DH bike so I'll take DH/AM/Trail suggestions. About 180 lbs riding weight, aggressive Colorado terrain. Full DIY service is a must, preferably 4+ pots.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 12:45 Quote
Pretty sure Hope brakes are the most user serviceable out there. Have never used them so can't comment on their performance, but a few mates run the V4s and rate them highly.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 18:11 Quote
I'll second the Hope brakes! They still have parts available for there old brakes.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 21:30 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
Pretty sure Hope brakes are the most user serviceable out there. Have never used them so can't comment on their performance, but a few mates run the V4s and rate them highly.

+1 for Hope V4s. Excellent brakes and easily serviceable.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 22:07 Quote
RXN059 wrote:
Hey,

Was recently servicing some Shimano Saints I bought on a second-hand bike until I broke one of the ceramic pistons. Shimano doesn't sell replacements and I don't want to spend $120 on a new caliper if it's from Shimano. So, I'm in the market for a new brake manufacturer to switch over to. I have a Hayes ACE Stroker on my trail bike that I like a lot, and I hear Hayes sells their pistons. Any other recommendations? The Shimano brake that needs replaced is for my DH bike so I'll take DH/AM/Trail suggestions. About 180 lbs riding weight, aggressive Colorado terrain. Full DIY service is a must, preferably 4+ pots.

I heard some people sold the replacement of the ceramic piston. They made it from alloy if I am not mistaken

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 8:04 Quote
I hear the formula cura are nice you can even get them with a quick connect on the rear for easy install.
I myself have Trickstuff Piccola. But I caught mine in stock at a German online retailer.
I don't know that I could wait the 4-9 months it takes sometimes for delivery.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 21:58 Quote
manachim wrote:
RXN059 wrote:
Hey,

Was recently servicing some Shimano Saints I bought on a second-hand bike until I broke one of the ceramic pistons. Shimano doesn't sell replacements and I don't want to spend $120 on a new caliper if it's from Shimano. So, I'm in the market for a new brake manufacturer to switch over to. I have a Hayes ACE Stroker on my trail bike that I like a lot, and I hear Hayes sells their pistons. Any other recommendations? The Shimano brake that needs replaced is for my DH bike so I'll take DH/AM/Trail suggestions. About 180 lbs riding weight, aggressive Colorado terrain. Full DIY service is a must, preferably 4+ pots.

I heard some people sold the replacement of the ceramic piston. They made it from alloy if I am not mistaken

Yeah you can get replacement pistons on ebay made from metal. Never tried one but they are cheaper than a new calliper!
Kes

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 22:09 Quote
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303144174602
Or
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392183605712

Kes

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 6:15 Quote
Magura mt7 or bust.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 23:07 Quote
What model saints? Pm me, I need 820 levers and hoses to replace my leaking 810 levers.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 3:01 Quote
RXN059 wrote:
I don't want to spend $120 on a new caliper

A Zee caliper is the same and you can one of them for around $90.

Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 19:12 Quote
RXN059 wrote:
Hey,

Was recently servicing some Shimano Saints I bought on a second-hand bike until I broke one of the ceramic pistons. Shimano doesn't sell replacements and I don't want to spend $120 on a new caliper if it's from Shimano. So, I'm in the market for a new brake manufacturer to switch over to. I have a Hayes ACE Stroker on my trail bike that I like a lot, and I hear Hayes sells their pistons. Any other recommendations? The Shimano brake that needs replaced is for my DH bike so I'll take DH/AM/Trail suggestions. About 180 lbs riding weight, aggressive Colorado terrain. Full DIY service is a must, preferably 4+ pots.

Did you remember to use the bleed block when bleeding? If you don't the piston pops out and the brake cylinder is ruined and can't go back in. Aside from that single issue shimano are EXTREMELY mechanic friendly. If this is the issue I'd say give shimano another chance. If you just want insane power for cheap I recommend virtually anything avid. Elixir CR and code R are really nice. Another cheap high power option are Hayes mags.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009167
Mobile Version of Website