Bike park on flat terrain?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Bike park on flat terrain?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 18:41 Quote
My friends and I are spearheading a bike park project where we live in Wisconsin. I work for the city, so I have good connections to develop it as a city park. We have a 2.4 acre site that donors are willing to give to the city for a bike park. The tough part is that the site is flat as a pancake. No elevation change at all.

Anybody have concepts/ideas/general thoughts for building a good park without the benefit of some natural contours? The obvious call would be to truck in material and build some elevation, but this would be done primarily with donated time, labor and materials. The number of truck loads of fill it would take to build meaningful elevation seems daunting.

I've looked around online and seen some designs that appear to be somewhat flat, but photos can be deceiving.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 5:44 Quote
WiscoLogs wrote:
My friends and I are spearheading a bike park project where we live in Wisconsin. I work for the city, so I have good connections to develop it as a city park. We have a 2.4 acre site that donors are willing to give to the city for a bike park. The tough part is that the site is flat as a pancake. No elevation change at all.

Anybody have concepts/ideas/general thoughts for building a good park without the benefit of some natural contours? The obvious call would be to truck in material and build some elevation, but this would be done primarily with donated time, labor and materials. The number of truck loads of fill it would take to build meaningful elevation seems daunting.

I've looked around online and seen some designs that appear to be somewhat flat, but photos can be deceiving.

Get with Alon at Velosolutions in Miami. He is a huge help and they have program for working with city getting planned and financed etc. A great asset on your side and nice guy wanting to help.

Lee likes bikes as well. Pumptrack info.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 3:41 Quote
WiscoLogs wrote:

You can build up a tower that gives some elevation and then you drop into either some dirts jumps on one side and a pump track type thing (rollers, berms, small jumps, etc). If you dont want this kind of bike park then you can keep the tower and instead of jumps make the trail more raw, add some rollers and berms so riders keep as much speed as possible. If you feel like the tower isnt making the start fast enough you can either build it higher or make the roll in steeper.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 3:42 Quote
WiscoLogs wrote:

You can build up a tower that gives some elevation and then you drop into either some dirts jumps on one side and a pump track type thing (rollers, berms, small jumps, etc). If you dont want this kind of bike park then you can keep the tower and instead of jumps make the trail more raw, add some rollers and berms so riders keep as much speed as possible. If you feel like the tower isnt making the start fast enough you can either build it higher or make the roll in steeper.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
I'm not sure about where you are, but in my neck of the woods soil disposal is huge business; residential developers are paying huge dollars to dispose of fill material. Could be worth discussing with local contractors to see if you could get some of that material brought to you instead.

Of course you may need to contend with environmental studies (i.e. importing material generally requires documentation of the material being clean). But if you have gotten this far, it's worth investigating.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
Bmxmtbbro05 wrote:

Yep! That's the idea. We may even make the tower/drop in movable - a wooden structure that could be dragged with a tractor if we want to reconfigure the place in the future.

Anyone have links that show design concepts?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007314
Mobile Version of Website