Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 16:35 Quote
OK here’s my update. I serviced the lower unit And replace the seals and wipes, slick honeyed the seals and switch everything over to Fox 20 weight. One side was completely dry (Air side) the other side may have had five ml’s of oil in it. The oil that was on the damper side was dark,almost as if it had dirt or something in it. So I used the suspension cleaner to spray out the insides I wiped them all down with paper towels re-inserted everything use the 28 Fox gold and OOOHhh my Lord!!! You’re telling me my fork could’ve felt this smooth! The fork performed before but my hands and forearms took a lot of abuse. The stiction is gone now, butter smooth. I had to increase my pressure cause I had been running it low to compensate for the stiction.

Bottom line - this is worth doing, very worth doing.

Thanks everyone for encouraging me to do it

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 17:54 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Just picked up my Moaf and this thing is badass. Mine came unexpectedly with the coil and it feels so buttery. Haven't ridden the fork enough to comment on it as there are a lot of knobs to twiddle.

This thing is a brute. I actually think the tires keep it from feeling way faster on the climbs but ill keep it as is cause this bike is meant for more heavy duty riding. It does pedal pretty well for a bigger heavier bike, but going down is where it's at. Very confidence inspiring. Looks better in real life, too!

I run a dissector on the rear and am regularly catching riders in front while im still coasting when others (that are faster then me) are allread pedals

they really are the slowest tires I've ever ridden next to fatbike tires, haha. So grippy, though. I almost want a Minion SS for out here.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 17:58 Quote
Second ride on this thing today. My wife was nice enough to drop me at a trail head en route to the beach so I was able to basically ride down for 30min on big granite rollers etc. and oh man, this bike was wicked. It is so confidence inspiring, but not scared at all to pop off any little bitty rock or root. Feels like the BB is really low as had a few pedal smacks, but it's so worth it for how 'in' the bike I feel, which is no mean feat for a bike with bigger travel and 29in wheels rapped with huge rubber. This bike is heavy to get up longer/steeper climbs, but the traction is great, so you can sit and spin up some pretty ugly stuff without a care. The fork has too many knobs for me to twiddle, but super happy with the coil already.
2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 7:07 Quote
Second ride on this thing today. My wife was nice enough to drop me at a trail head en route to the beach so I was able to basically ride down for 30min on big granite rollers etc. and oh man, this bike was wicked. It is so confidence inspiring, but not scared at all to pop off any little bitty rock or root. Feels like the BB is really low as had a few pedal smacks, but it's so worth it for how 'in' the bike I feel, which is no mean feat for a bike with bigger travel and 29in wheels rapped with huge rubber. This bike is heavy to get up longer/steeper climbs, but the traction is great, so you can sit and spin up some pretty ugly stuff without a care. The fork has too many knobs for me to twiddle, but super happy with the coil already.
2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

How long of cranks did you get? I swapped my 170 SLX cranks for 165s and it helped pedal strikes, also put on thin OneUp aluminum pedals which helped as well.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 7:18 Quote
NERyder wrote:
OK here’s my update. I serviced the lower unit And replace the seals and wipes, slick honeyed the seals and switch everything over to Fox 20 weight. One side was completely dry (Air side) the other side may have had five ml’s of oil in it. The oil that was on the damper side was dark,almost as if it had dirt or something in it. So I used the suspension cleaner to spray out the insides I wiped them all down with paper towels re-inserted everything use the 28 Fox gold and OOOHhh my Lord!!! You’re telling me my fork could’ve felt this smooth! The fork performed before but my hands and forearms took a lot of abuse. The stiction is gone now, butter smooth. I had to increase my pressure cause I had been running it low to compensate for the stiction.

Bottom line - this is worth doing, very worth doing.

Thanks everyone for encouraging me to do it

Glad it worked for you! How much Fox gold did you put in the lowers? I'm trying to think of ways to inject Fox gold into the stanchion seal so you can get the buttery smooth feeling without tearing the fork apart...Maybe a couple zip ties under the seal and drip oil in?

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 8:27 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

How long of cranks did you get? I swapped my 170 SLX cranks for 165s and it helped pedal strikes, also put on thin OneUp aluminum pedals which helped as well.

I'm riding whatever's stock. Not a huge issue and I was riding pretty rocky baby-head strewn stuff which I don't know well. I think i may appreciate the longer cranks on the climbs

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 10:42 Quote
Hey guys.

Im thinking on going with carbon rims on my AF some time soon. Still have the s35's and really love them but are full of dents. Looking on the Canadian We are One Carbon rims. Supposedly there arent too stiff and they support the rims with Lifetime warranty so cant really beat that.
Im between the Union or im gonna stay 35 inner width and go with the Convert.
What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
FiLaReToS wrote:
Hey guys.

Im thinking on going with carbon rims on my AF some time soon. Still have the s35's and really love them but are full of dents. Looking on the Canadian We are One Carbon rims. Supposedly there arent too stiff and they support the rims with Lifetime warranty so cant really beat that.
Im between the Union or im gonna stay 35 inner width and go with the Convert.
What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

I had carbon lightbike wheels on my last bike and loved them and thought that would be in my future. I borrowed a friends SC reserve wheels 30id same tires, and HATED IT. the bike felt like it was so much more twitchy over off camber roots and rocky sections. I was shocked. I was hopping new hoops was an excuse to upgrade that rear hub but i couldnt make the mental gymnastics work.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:21 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
I had carbon lightbike wheels on my last bike and loved them and thought that would be in my future. I borrowed a friends SC reserve wheels 30id same tires, and HATED IT. the bike felt like it was so much more twitchy over off camber roots and rocky sections. I was shocked. I was hopping new hoops was an excuse to upgrade that rear hub but i couldnt make the mental gymnastics work.

Maybe carbon rims make the bike too stiff? Sometimes I don't like the flexing in the RAF but other times its fine. I have little to no time on carbon bikes with carbon rims so Confused

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 13:15 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Snowrydr01 wrote:

Maybe carbon rims make the bike too stiff? Sometimes I don't like the flexing in the RAF but other times its fine. I have little to no time on carbon bikes with carbon rims so Confused

I realy wanted to like it on carbon wheels. I think a lot of it is location as well. I ride year round and 90% of my trails are off camber or rooty, or pointed baby head rocks so grip in those circumstances are prioritized, the s35 aluminum has done a fantastic job on that. If it was more buffed trails, or dirt, or even large rocks they probably wouldve been fine. I also immediately felt the difference in shape of the tire from 35 to 30 and for the first time since i bought the bike had front wheel drift on light turn ins where a big lean wouldnt be needed or you werent turning very sharp.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 20:18 Quote
Another possible option if you don't want carbon and are mainly just denting rims is to try an insert.
I had a bad tendency to nuke rear wheels on my hardtail and an ARD insert has made a huge difference.
Dents in alloy wheels especially for heavy riders are a fact of life but inserts help a lot.

That said knock on wood my standard ibis rims have put up with quite a bit, they're basically the only stock part left on my AF other than the frame.

Posted it on MBR before but here's mine just for fun

photo

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 1:21 Quote
2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

Savage! Wear well mate ☺️

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 1:39 Quote
Couple of cheezy ones from few rides back in the Alps to celebrate the century on PB

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 2:22 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Snowrydr01 wrote:

I realy wanted to like it on carbon wheels. I think a lot of it is location as well. I ride year round and 90% of my trails are off camber or rooty, or pointed baby head rocks so grip in those circumstances are prioritized, the s35 aluminum has done a fantastic job on that. If it was more buffed trails, or dirt, or even large rocks they probably wouldve been fine. I also immediately felt the difference in shape of the tire from 35 to 30 and for the first time since i bought the bike had front wheel drift on light turn ins where a big lean wouldnt be needed or you werent turning very sharp.

I used to own some Light Bicycle 30mm rims on my previous bike/s. Built myself (they were only my 2nd set built) on cheap superstar hubs. They remained true and faultless in the 5 years of riding (racing Enduro in UK+France, riding in Alps, Italian Apennines and lots of UK). Great rims, but I couldnt tell the difference between them and ally rims. I also thought that the hubs wouldnt make much of a difference.
I recently built DTSwiss XM481 on DTSwiss 240esp hubs. WOW, how good are the hubs! Each time I ride them, its immediately noticeable. I have a number of sets of wheels, and change regularly, but each time I'm on the 240s its so much faster and smoother rolling.

What I'm saying is, get some strong Ally rims, DTSwiss 511 or 481 (slightly lighter and less strong, but fine for me) and then get them built on some good hubs. I can certainly vouch for DTSwiss. I'm a fanboy now, big time!

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
KennyWatson wrote:
Another possible option if you don't want carbon and are mainly just denting rims is to try an insert.
I had a bad tendency to nuke rear wheels on my hardtail and an ARD insert has made a huge difference.
Dents in alloy wheels especially for heavy riders are a fact of life but inserts help a lot.

That said knock on wood my standard ibis rims have put up with quite a bit, they're basically the only stock part left on my AF other than the frame.

Posted it on MBR before but here's mine just for fun

photo

How's the Super Deluxe working for you and have you considered going MegNeg with the air can?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021153
Mobile Version of Website