Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 18:31 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
NERyder wrote:
OK here’s my update. I serviced the lower unit And replace the seals and wipes, slick honeyed the seals and switch everything over to Fox 20 weight. One side was completely dry (Air side) the other side may have had five ml’s of oil in it. The oil that was on the damper side was dark,almost as if it had dirt or something in it. So I used the suspension cleaner to spray out the insides I wiped them all down with paper towels re-inserted everything use the 28 Fox gold and OOOHhh my Lord!!! You’re telling me my fork could’ve felt this smooth! The fork performed before but my hands and forearms took a lot of abuse. The stiction is gone now, butter smooth. I had to increase my pressure cause I had been running it low to compensate for the stiction.

Bottom line - this is worth doing, very worth doing.

Thanks everyone for encouraging me to do it

Glad it worked for you! How much Fox gold did you put in the lowers? I'm trying to think of ways to inject Fox gold into the stanchion seal so you can get the buttery smooth feeling without tearing the fork apart...Maybe a couple zip ties under the seal and drip oil in?

I put 35 in the air side and 25 in the damper side

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 18:35 Quote
Superfli wrote:
What I'm saying is, get some strong Ally rims, DTSwiss 511 or 481 (slightly lighter and less strong, but fine for me) and then get them built on some good hubs. I can certainly vouch for DTSwiss. I'm a fanboy now, big time!

I agree I got some DT Swiss EX511 rims and laced them to I9 Hydras. Great wheels for the tech riding around here. Went 511 because I am about 235 so needed the extra HD rims

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 22:11 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:

How's the Super Deluxe working for you and have you considered going MegNeg with the air can?

Freakin awesome. I ran the dvo for almost a year, bike was always super plush but just a bit of a boat. I also really prefer the bike at 33%ish sag and I just didn't have enough support at that higher sag, I think the ibis/dvo compression tune is just too light for heavier riders in particular (I'm about 215 with gear).

The firmer damping really makes the bike feel peppier and helps pedal strikes too, but with the high sag it's still stable and charges hard. More of a solid stable than a gooshy stable. Really like it. I wouldn't change a thing about it. I think megneg wouldn't help for my preference because I really like the slightly sportier feel.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 5:27 Quote
My New GX build came in yesterday. Sweeeeet! Came with upgraded SLX brakes and the newer 10-52 version of GX. I'm so stoked! This thing is incredibly more beautiful in person vs in pictures. Also, no pics added because I could not figure out how upload them in this forum... grrrrr

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 12:13 Quote
Tabbibus wrote:
My New GX build came in yesterday. Sweeeeet! Came with upgraded SLX brakes and the newer 10-52 version of GX. I'm so stoked! This thing is incredibly more beautiful in person vs in pictures. Also, no pics added because I could not figure out how upload them in this forum... grrrrr

It is far bar looking in real life. Even sexier dirty

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
KennyWatson wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:

How's the Super Deluxe working for you and have you considered going MegNeg with the air can?

Freakin awesome. I ran the dvo for almost a year, bike was always super plush but just a bit of a boat. I also really prefer the bike at 33%ish sag and I just didn't have enough support at that higher sag, I think the ibis/dvo compression tune is just too light for heavier riders in particular (I'm about 215 with gear).

The firmer damping really makes the bike feel peppier and helps pedal strikes too, but with the high sag it's still stable and charges hard. More of a solid stable than a gooshy stable. Really like it. I wouldn't change a thing about it. I think megneg wouldn't help for my preference because I really like the slightly sportier feel.

That's an interesting setup! Yeah I've been sticking with about 28% sag on a standard tuned Topaz. The bb feels too low to me at 30% and it feels wallowy. But I'll be on a SD starting next week so looking forward to dialing it in. I'll be sure to ride it for a month before deciding whether to give the MegNeg a shot.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 19:53 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:

That's an interesting setup! Yeah I've been sticking with about 28% sag on a standard tuned Topaz. The bb feels too low to me at 30% and it feels wallowy. But I'll be on a SD starting next week so looking forward to dialing it in. I'll be sure to ride it for a month before deciding whether to give the MegNeg a shot.

Cool. I definitely recommend trying 33-34%. I have 165 cranks and my lyrik is a 170mm which both help clearance, but I now have zero issues with pedal strikes and I felt they were pretty bad initially.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 9:08 Quote
Cross post from MTBR. Noticed that most of the talk here about fork settings are in the Diamond fork. Anyone have any words of wisdom for us Onyx users? The pressures recommended on the ibis sheet seem way lower than the diamond pressures!

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
Tabbibus wrote:
Cross post from MTBR. Noticed that most of the talk here about fork settings are in the Diamond fork. Anyone have any words of wisdom for us Onyx users? The pressures recommended on the ibis sheet seem way lower than the diamond pressures!

Yeah. It is similar to the fox 36. The higher volume the air chamber is the less pressure you need.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 11:42 Quote
I'm loving my RAF but I'm worried about my topaz air shock. It seems to not be using its full stroke. I just took all the air out today and it stopped about 10ish mm before the end of the shaft.
Topaz not using its full travel

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 12:04 Quote
ChronRabbit wrote:
I'm loving my RAF but I'm worried about my topaz air shock. It seems to not be using its full stroke. I just took all the air out today and it stopped about 10ish mm before the end of the shaft.

Check the specs of the shock. That is full stroke.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 12:57 Quote
New bike day is here! Built my AF from the frame up. Really, really stoked on how it turned out. Double coil!

Full spec details here:
https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/jabber127,49575/setup,42558?pman

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 13:36 Quote
mammal wrote:
ChronRabbit wrote:

Check the specs of the shock. That is full stroke.

Thanks pumpkin

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 15:47 Quote
ChronRabbit wrote:
Thanks pumpkin

That's Mr.Pumpkin to you...

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 18:50 Quote
Jabber127 wrote:
New bike day is here! Built my AF from the frame up. Really, really stoked on how it turned out. Double coil!

Full spec details here:
https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/jabber127,49575/setup,42558?pman

How is that spring? worth the upgrade?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018353
Mobile Version of Website