Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 12:00 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
I ride a v1 Ripmo with a fox x2. I had a topaz one my old bike and it’s a great shock. The fact that you are using the climb switch tells me it’s the jade causing the issue. I have thousands of miles on my bike and have never reached for the climb switch once. The bike has such a stable climbing platform it wouldn’t make any difference and would probably reduce traction and decrease climbing efficiency.
It’s also possible you just need some time to get use to the bike and the Jade. Your body is still probably in tube with your old bike and efficiency should increase with more time on the new bike.

Hey BM - the three riders I know on Ripmos (myself included) all use the climb switch liberally. And that's on an X2, DPX-2, and most recently a Super Deluxe (me).

Everyone's mileage may vary, and the platform is pretty efficient, but I think most riders will still benefit from using the firm or mid setting fairly often on their shock of choice. Mine definitely climbs better with air than coil. Also the Jade-X climb switch is almost hardtail firm and IMO too firm for all but the smoothest climbs.

Anyways everyone's terrain is different and some riders, like you, may be better climbers and/or have a smoother cadence, lighter weight, whatever. But everyone should not think there's something wrong if they find a climb switch helpful on the bike. The best climber I know (I affectionately call him a mountain goat) uses the climb switch on his v1 w/ dpx-2 quite often, and he puts down some power.

And I agree it just takes time to get a new bike set up and adjusted to preference so it feels right. dresendsit can still dial in chainring, crank length, stem length, saddle position, sag, tire choice. It's a good problem to have to be dialing in a new v2!

There’s nothing with using the climb switch, I have never felt it beneficial with this bike, it’s also generally a pro in most reviews found on the bike. I came from a Horst link Jeffsy and it was night and day if you didn’t use the climb switch. I am also primarily a seated climber, and don’t tend to mash pedals, typically ride clipless which probably reduces pedal mashing. I also ride about 22% sag is where the rear end feels best to me.
All I am saying is it’s a great pedaling platform and you shouldn’t be dependent on

I also came from a mushy horst link bike and appreciate the weagly link, even on descents when you're in open and can throw in pedal strokes or mash out a quick punchy climb without feeling like every watt is being wasted. I prefer clipless too and sit and grind away.

Now sag is interesting. Someone else on here recently told me he's running over 30 (33-ish maybe), which seems like alot. I've bounced between 25 and 30 and the Ibis recommended 27-28% seems like the sweet spot for me. I could see using a climb switch less at 22%.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
tlandberg wrote:
What are thoughts on setting up OTT for the onyx? New DVO setup guide has the chart set up for weight. For example 190 lbs = 12 turns. But to get 25% sag, I’m running 70 psi, which is far less than what DVO recommends, more in line with a 170 lb. rider. So I’m wondering: better to set up OTT according to weight chart or according to psi you’re running? Obviously this would just be as a baseline.

Not an onx but with the diamond i was instructed by DVO to ignore conventional sag wisdom when setting up the fork because of the OTT. Conventional wisdom being to use sag as a general idea of where the balance between soft and midstroke support is. DVO said to focus on what felt good in the mid support and then tune OTT from there to add initial suppleness. For my diamond i am slightly lower then what the chart suggests. As an experiment no matter how low i set it i rarely use up all the travel and almost always use the same amount of it even with massive variances of too soft or too stiff so i stopped using that as a tuning data point also since getting a DVO. Working from a confident mid was the fastest way for me to set up a dvo fork.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 12:47 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
dresendsit wrote:
Recently demoed a Ripmo AF and loved it. The AF was the best pedaling trail bike I've been on and descended beautifully. Couldn’t believe the AF lived up to the hype. I ordered a carbon V2 same day. Picked up last week and went riding.

When I hit our usual trail it did not climb as well as I experienced on the AF. The AF loved to climb and felt light for being a heavier bike. But my new V2 felt sluggish. You assume carbon should climb better. Unfortunately it's more complicated than that.

There were some differences in the V2 spec versus the AF. I imagine one if not all of these differences contributed to the tougher climbing. Here are some differences between the two bikes (both size L):

Rear tire - not sure what was on the AF but it seemed quicker and lighter. The carbon V2 came with a DHR II MaxxGrip from the shop (not my choice) - I assume this tire is hurting climbs a lot. Any rear tire suggestions? Leaning towards a Rekon or Aggressor in 2C (not 3C).

Oval Chainring - AF demo had an Oval black 32t chainring. Sounds crazy but I've watched videos of people praising these for climbing. My v2 has the standard GX circular 32t.

Rear Shock - AF demo had a standard Topaz T3 but I specd the Jade X coil (450 lb spring) on the V2. Coil does well in pedal position (not a fan of the complete lockout for tech climbs). The T3's pedal position seemed slightly better. Great grip and minimal bob. The the coil in trail position was good but had slightly more movement and lost some of its traction compared to open. Descending is a different story - no surprise the coil wins here. Trying to avoid locked on either shock to keep some traction but the coil lock out is significantly more firm.

Crank Arms - Pretty sure the AF had 175mm cranks but can't say for sure. The shop wouldn't give a straight answer when I asked what the demo was spec'd. I wanted 175mm on the V2 but they could only get 170mm on order. I know people are going shorter lately but curious if anyone else noticed a loss in *perceived" climbing power from going to shorter cranks.

Stem - AF had a 50mm stem and I tried a 35mm stem on the V2. Anyone notice a big difference in 50mm vs 35mm for climbing?

Appreciate any opinion/experience on how these different components affect your climbing. To clarify the V2 did descend better than the AF - it's climbing I want to fix.

It’s the coil that hurting your climbing. Oval might make a bit of difference but it won’t be much. If you want climbing efficiency, move back to the air spring.

I think you're right - swapping rear tires and the oval helped a little but still feeling a bit sluggish. Unfortunately the Topaz is waiting on production until the end of the month. Are you running an air shock? If so, which one? Thanks for your feedback.

I've had an AF for almost a year. Started off with the Jade X as I hadn't ridden a coil before. After about 6 months on it I got rid of it. Tried multiple springs, ultimately felt like I couldn't find a rate that worked for me and no matter what I did the shock felt poorly damped and bouncy. For the weight penalty I expected it to be incredible but it wasn't. Tried a DPX2 which was better, and now on an X2 which I think it perfect. Others' experiences will obviously be different, but for me the Jade X was a letdown. FWIW I weigh about 195-200 w/ gear, started off w/ a 550-lb spring and then tried a 500-lb.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
sonoranbiker wrote:
I've had an AF for almost a year. Started off with the Jade X as I hadn't ridden a coil before. After about 6 months on it I got rid of it. Tried multiple springs, ultimately felt like I couldn't find a rate that worked for me and no matter what I did the shock felt poorly damped and bouncy. For the weight penalty I expected it to be incredible but it wasn't. Tried a DPX2 which was better, and now on an X2 which I think it perfect. Others' experiences will obviously be different, but for me the Jade X was a letdown. FWIW I weigh about 195-200 w/ gear, started off w/ a 550-lb spring and then tried a 500-lb.

Dammit now you make me want to try an air shock haha. My only experience with an air shock is the Monarch RC3 on my 2014 Trance so not anywhere close to the Ripmo.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
sonoranbiker wrote:

Dammit now you make me want to try an air shock haha. My only experience with an air shock is the Monarch RC3 on my 2014 Trance so not anywhere close to the Ripmo.

I preffer my dpx2 over the jade x hands down. I got it from fanatic bike as a carbon ripmo take off for $200. I only put the coil on for lift access or races, but for trail riding the air beats it.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 19:41 Quote
tlandberg wrote:
What are thoughts on setting up OTT for the onyx? New DVO setup guide has the chart set up for weight. For example 190 lbs = 12 turns. But to get 25% sag, I’m running 70 psi, which is far less than what DVO recommends, more in line with a 170 lb. rider. So I’m wondering: better to set up OTT according to weight chart or according to psi you’re running? Obviously this would just be as a baseline.

I'm about 170 rider weight and running 3 turns OTT based on settings DVO emailed me personally. I think they were about spot on with 3 turns. They also recommended 65 PSI which is very close too. I think I'm preferring it a touch lower at 60 PSI - either way, lower PSI/OTT than their latest guide suggests.

I'm wondering if their latest guide was setup for the Onyx at 180MM instead of 160MM - or more geared towards park riders? I can't imagine running this shock at 70 PSI for my weight, would only ever use 75% travel. And anything over 4 turns OTT and the suppleness is lost.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 1:21 Quote
So i emailed dvo because i keep having an issue with the topaz t3. On many kicker jumps it feels like the HSR is too fast. Tried to slow the LSR but no change of course. The anwsered pretty fast and they will let me know how to tune the shim stack of the HSR and custom tune it.

Anybody else have the same "problem" with me?

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 4:48 Quote
FiLaReToS wrote:
So i emailed dvo because i keep having an issue with the topaz t3. On many kicker jumps it feels like the HSR is too fast. Tried to slow the LSR but no change of course. The anwsered pretty fast and they will let me know how to tune the shim stack of the HSR and custom tune it.

Yep, same. Kicks out way fast on certain hits, accompanied by a, for lack of a better word, clang! sound.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
Standard Marsh guard for a fork fits pretty good. Should be good for the muddy season. Attaches in 3 spots, the third is the upper little black link behind the seat tube. Already tested it out and had no issues

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 9:29 Quote
tlandberg wrote:
FiLaReToS wrote:

Yep, same. Kicks out way fast on certain hits, accompanied by a, for lack of a better word, clang! sound.

I don't have a Ripmo, but I do have a Topaz on my GG Megatrail and I've noticed this too. I thought it was my crappy riding technique kicking up the back, or too soft of a fork.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 14:37 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
tlandberg wrote:

I'm about 170 rider weight and running 3 turns OTT based on settings DVO emailed me personally. I think they were about spot on with 3 turns. They also recommended 65 PSI which is very close too. I think I'm preferring it a touch lower at 60 PSI - either way, lower PSI/OTT than their latest guide suggests.

I'm wondering if their latest guide was setup for the Onyx at 180MM instead of 160MM - or more geared towards park riders? I can't imagine running this shock at 70 PSI for my weight, would only ever use 75% travel. And anything over 4 turns OTT and the suppleness is lost.

That makes sense. I suspect I’m overdoing it with the OTT and am going to try dialing it back at least a few turns. The guy I spoke to at DVO, forget his name, suggested that the onyx needs way less OTT than the diamond, as it’s a bit plusher. Def. not a technical take, pretty subjective, but maybe he’s right.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 16:45 Quote
Where are you seeing 75 psi in the Onyx for a 170lb rider? I'm ~ 170 geared up and the guide I see (I think the newer one) says 45-55 psi depending on how much sag I want.

dresendsit wrote:
tlandberg wrote:

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 19:44 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Standard Marsh guard for a fork fits pretty good. Should be good for the muddy season. Attaches in 3 spots, the third is the upper little black link behind the seat tube. Already tested it out and had no issues

Not bad idea at all

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 5:16 Quote
randomlad wrote:
Where are you seeing 75 psi in the Onyx for a 170lb rider? I'm ~ 170 geared up and the guide I see (I think the newer one) says 45-55 psi depending on how much sag I want.

dresendsit wrote:
tlandberg wrote:

Interesting. Never seen that guide, but its lower psi suggestions are more in line with what I’ve experienced to achieve proper sag. Funny, though, bc that makes by my count three different guides to choose from: the original DVO guide, the newer one, and now this. Fwiw, the newer dvo guide suggests 80 psi for a 180 lb rider, which is far too high imo. And the OTT settings in the guide you linked are about 5 turns less than the recommendations in the newer dvo guide. I wonder what’s causing the huge discrepancy between the newer dvo guide and the one you linked.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 7:13 Quote
tlandberg wrote:
randomlad wrote:

dresendsit wrote:

Interesting. Never seen that guide, but its lower psi suggestions are more in line with what I’ve experienced to achieve proper sag. Funny, though, bc that makes by my count three different guides to choose from: the original DVO guide, the newer one, and now this. Fwiw, the newer dvo guide suggests 80 psi for a 180 lb rider, which is far too high imo. And the OTT settings in the guide you linked are about 5 turns less than the recommendations in the newer dvo guide. I wonder what’s causing the huge discrepancy between the newer dvo guide and the one you linked.

Great question! I JUST got mine on Thursday, so haven't even given it a real ride yet and went right to Ibis for set-up info. My guess is bike-specific and most recent is likely the closest to reality, but with any luck I'll get 'er out today and see how it feels! I'll definitely bring a shock pump to mess around, maybe even toss a ShockWiz on there if I'm feeling ambitious.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008401
Mobile Version of Website