Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 10:03 Quote
randomlad wrote:
Where are you seeing 75 psi in the Onyx for a 170lb rider? I'm ~ 170 geared up and the guide I see (I think the newer one) says 45-55 psi depending on how much sag I want.

dresendsit wrote:
tlandberg wrote:
What are thoughts on setting up OTT for the onyx? New DVO setup guide has the chart set up for weight. For example 190 lbs = 12 turns. But to get 25% sag, I’m running 70 psi, which is far less than what DVO recommends, more in line with a 170 lb. rider. So I’m wondering: better to set up OTT according to weight chart or according to psi you’re running? Obviously this would just be as a baseline.

I'm about 170 rider weight and running 3 turns OTT based on settings DVO emailed me personally. I think they were about spot on with 3 turns. They also recommended 65 PSI which is very close too. I think I'm preferring it a touch lower at 60 PSI - either way, lower PSI/OTT than their latest guide suggests.

I'm wondering if their latest guide was setup for the Onyx at 180MM instead of 160MM - or more geared towards park riders? I can't imagine running this shock at 70 PSI for my weight, would only ever use 75% travel. And anything over 4 turns OTT and the suppleness is lost.

They have a "V4" guide which suggests too much pressure specifically for the Onyx (see below)

http://tech.dvosuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/DVO-Set-Up-Guide-2020-v4.pdf

The guide you linked is interesting! I might even try going down to 55 PSI and one rotation of HSC but the sweet spot is definitely somewhere near 60PSI. Since you are the same weight I would experiment on the following - I've got about 7 rides in on my bike now (two weeks old)

1) 50-65 PSI range - I'm almost positive anything past 65 and you won't use full travel. I've never experimented below 60 though. My guess is anything below 55 will be too soft.

2) Zero to one turn of HSC; I've been at one rotation of HSC on all my rides but haven't bottomed out the fork yet. Might dial this back to zero. I'm concerned lowering PSI below 60 will lose midstroke support

3) OTT - 3-6 turns. I've found 4 turns is the sweet spot right now. May experiment with 5 turns. Remember as you increase pressure you need to add OTT turns. Less OTT turns is LESS supple. As you add PSI increase OTT to keep sensitivity

4) LSC - I'm not a fan of having to adjust LSC on my Fork throughout the ride but DVO would suggest increasing for climbs and reducing to "1" for descents. I'm not a fan of the "1" setting for climbs - you need at least a 2 or 3. I'm trying to setup the fork where I can leave it at "2" at all times. Be careful if you are in "1" during climbs you may feel very sluggish.

Hope this helps - let us know what you settle on

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 10:18 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
sonoranbiker wrote:
I've had an AF for almost a year. Started off with the Jade X as I hadn't ridden a coil before. After about 6 months on it I got rid of it. Tried multiple springs, ultimately felt like I couldn't find a rate that worked for me and no matter what I did the shock felt poorly damped and bouncy. For the weight penalty I expected it to be incredible but it wasn't. Tried a DPX2 which was better, and now on an X2 which I think it perfect. Others' experiences will obviously be different, but for me the Jade X was a letdown. FWIW I weigh about 195-200 w/ gear, started off w/ a 550-lb spring and then tried a 500-lb.

Dammit now you make me want to try an air shock haha. My only experience with an air shock is the Monarch RC3 on my 2014 Trance so not anywhere close to the Ripmo.

This is interesting. I'm just about seven or eight rides on the Jade X and have mixed feelings, maybe similar to yours. For me the issue isn't with the descents - it feels supportive and planted on chunky descents, that "monster truck" feel. For reference I'm 170 lbs with a 450 spring and 425+ prorate spring. But climbing is not as great - I hate the lockout on climbs its too stiff and you lose traction. Lockout is good for fireroads but I'm doing steeper technical climbs, usually ~1500ft per ride. Leaves you with "trail" and "open". Trail isn't bad and I use this mostly in climbs but you absolutely must switch back to open before hitting anything downhill or the shock is dead, zero rebound/poppyness like in the open setting. I'm starting to enjoy open setting for some climbs but it is bouncy, traction is great though. Overall I think you give up climbing performance on the Jade X compared to an air shock. I can't feel the same efficiency in pedaling as I did with the Topaz I demoed. And I'm not sure the loss in climbing outweighs the benefit in descents.

What I liked about the Topaz is it seemed like I could leave it in the Mid setting and it felt great on climbs but still pretty did well on descents, didn't lose the poppy feel. Which means I don't have to touch the shock at all while riding which I like a lot. I'm tired of flicking switches every time I hit some flowy stuff.

How do you like the X2 for climbing - can you "set it and forget it"?

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 16:29 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:
sonoranbiker wrote:
I've had an AF for almost a year. Started off with the Jade X as I hadn't ridden a coil before. After about 6 months on it I got rid of it. Tried multiple springs, ultimately felt like I couldn't find a rate that worked for me and no matter what I did the shock felt poorly damped and bouncy. For the weight penalty I expected it to be incredible but it wasn't. Tried a DPX2 which was better, and now on an X2 which I think it perfect. Others' experiences will obviously be different, but for me the Jade X was a letdown. FWIW I weigh about 195-200 w/ gear, started off w/ a 550-lb spring and then tried a 500-lb.

Dammit now you make me want to try an air shock haha. My only experience with an air shock is the Monarch RC3 on my 2014 Trance so not anywhere close to the Ripmo.

This is interesting. I'm just about seven or eight rides on the Jade X and have mixed feelings, maybe similar to yours. For me the issue isn't with the descents - it feels supportive and planted on chunky descents, that "monster truck" feel. For reference I'm 170 lbs with a 450 spring and 425+ prorate spring. But climbing is not as great - I hate the lockout on climbs its too stiff and you lose traction. Lockout is good for fireroads but I'm doing steeper technical climbs, usually ~1500ft per ride. Leaves you with "trail" and "open". Trail isn't bad and I use this mostly in climbs but you absolutely must switch back to open before hitting anything downhill or the shock is dead, zero rebound/poppyness like in the open setting. I'm starting to enjoy open setting for some climbs but it is bouncy, traction is great though. Overall I think you give up climbing performance on the Jade X compared to an air shock. I can't feel the same efficiency in pedaling as I did with the Topaz I demoed. And I'm not sure the loss in climbing outweighs the benefit in descents.

What I liked about the Topaz is it seemed like I could leave it in the Mid setting and it felt great on climbs but still pretty did well on descents, didn't lose the poppy feel. Which means I don't have to touch the shock at all while riding which I like a lot. I'm tired of flicking switches every time I hit some flowy stuff.

How do you like the X2 for climbing - can you "set it and forget it"?

Honestly I didn't even love it on the descents. Fast chattery stuff was fine, big hits felt like I was going to get bucked off the bike. Again, to me it felt like poor rebound damping. I like the X2 for both climbing and descending. Not a big switch-flipper, and it seems like the climb switch doesn't do a whole lot anyway so I leave it open pretty much all the time. I live in Tucson, and many of my climbs are loose and rocky so I prioritize traction.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 16:47 Quote
Interesting you guys were having such issues with the Jade X bucking you. I can slow rebound down so much that it will buck as much as a hard tail haha

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 20:58 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Interesting you guys were having such issues with the Jade X bucking you. I can slow rebound down so much that it will buck as much as a hard tail haha

I don't have issues with the Jade X bucking me. On descents its probably the best shock i've ever had. I used the settings provided by DVO and the rebound feels good. This was with both the 450lb spring and the prorate spring. My issue is the climbing. If I was doing shuttle laps or bike park I'd take the coil in a heartbeat. Problem is all my riding on the front range requires me to pedal up first.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 7:18 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:

I don't have issues with the Jade X bucking me. On descents its probably the best shock i've ever had. I used the settings provided by DVO and the rebound feels good. This was with both the 450lb spring and the prorate spring. My issue is the climbing. If I was doing shuttle laps or bike park I'd take the coil in a heartbeat. Problem is all my riding on the front range requires me to pedal up first.

Any report re: LS vs prorate spring? What spring did you use? the 425-500? How much do you weight? What did you feel different between the two springs?

I have a 450 spring and I feel that I may be too squishy and bottoming out too much. I weight 175-178 kitted up.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 7:33 Quote
Tabbibus wrote:
dresendsit wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:

Any report re: LS vs prorate spring? What spring did you use? the 425-500? How much do you weight? What did you feel different between the two springs?

I have a 450 spring and I feel that I may be too squishy and bottoming out too much. I weight 175-178 kitted up.

I'm 175ish kitted up or so. Previously had a 500lb LS spring and liked it. Went with the pro rate 425-500 and feel its softer off the top and ramps up to what my old spring was. I like it so far but only had one ride on it. Small bump compliance is better but ramps up nicely to avoid bottom out.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 9:35 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Tabbibus wrote:
dresendsit wrote:

I'm 175ish kitted up or so. Previously had a 500lb LS spring and liked it. Went with the pro rate 425-500 and feel its softer off the top and ramps up to what my old spring was. I like it so far but only had one ride on it. Small bump compliance is better but ramps up nicely to avoid bottom out.

Oh man, this sounds like something I would really like. Gonna have to look into this.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 12:13 Quote
Tabbibus wrote:
Oh man, this sounds like something I would really like. Gonna have to look into this.

Yeah its pretty nice. If you have a spring that you are bottoming out but the weight is right for you, you can get one a little higher too that ramps up more and has more bottom out resistance but feels the same as what you have. Say I went for a 475-575 instead, it would feel close to the same as my 500 off the top but would ramp up much more towards the end.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Tabbibus wrote:

Yeah its pretty nice. If you have a spring that you are bottoming out but the weight is right for you, you can get one a little higher too that ramps up more and has more bottom out resistance but feels the same as what you have. Say I went for a 475-575 instead, it would feel close to the same as my 500 off the top but would ramp up much more towards the end.

yeah. That is what I was analyzing in my head just now. I wish we could order one and just send it back if we want to swap it to another spring weight

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 13:08 Quote
Tabbibus wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Tabbibus wrote:

yeah. That is what I was analyzing in my head just now. I wish we could order one and just send it back if we want to swap it to another spring weight

I wish there was a "rental" spring option. Its hard to swallow $130 on a prorate spring for a maybe. I wasnt cool with $100 for a standard DVO LS spring so I went with a Cane Creek valt for $60. Even that felt weird for a maybe coming from the Air Shock world where I am constantly trying different PSI to find that just right feel.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 15:38 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
I wish there was a "rental" spring option. Its hard to swallow $130 on a prorate spring for a maybe. I wasnt cool with $100 for a standard DVO LS spring so I went with a Cane Creek valt for $60. Even that felt weird for a maybe coming from the Air Shock world where I am constantly trying different PSI to find that just right feel.

If more people buy springs, I wouldn't be opposed to try a spring swap thing between reliable people so we could all try different rates. Just pay shipping back and forth. I have 2 now that I can swap/ship if people want to try one of my rates out.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 15:49 Quote
Liking the DHR2 front, Rekon rear for dry conditions. Probably going to swap back to the Assegai front DHR2 rear when muddy season comes around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXm88dybjUg

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 15:58 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Snowrydr01 wrote:

If more people buy springs, I wouldn't be opposed to try a spring swap thing between reliable people so we could all try different rates. Just pay shipping back and forth. I have 2 now that I can swap/ship if people want to try one of my rates out.

I have a 400 I would love to trade for a 450 to see what thats like

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 17:13 Quote
I have 450. Looking for 500 or 425-500.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006633
Mobile Version of Website