Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 18:05 Quote
Hi,

I was wondering how the DVO diamond and topaz work on the Af compare to what fox and RockShox have? I was also wondering how much you guys got the Af because a few months ago on Jenson you could get 25 percent off any full price item which would make the Ripmo AF 2,250.

Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 18:11 Quote
Shredfast wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering how the DVO diamond and topaz work on the Af compare to what fox and RockShox have? I was also wondering how much you guys got the Af because a few months ago on Jenson you could get 25 percent off any full price item which would make the Ripmo AF 2,250.

I tried that. The discount wasn’t working on bikes. Not just the Ripmo.

Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 22:55 Quote
Shredfast wrote:
Hi,

Im a bike technician myself and work a a big brand dealer here in Greece so I always had top spec bikes with Fox or Rockshox Suspensions. This time I went with the Ripmo AF Base NX and I can tell you that the DVO that is spec'd with are by FAR the best fork and shock I've ever had. I guess I will stick with dvo products for a long time.

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 3:08 Quote
Anyone find a good 165mm carbon crankset for the RAF?

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 8:28 Quote
Shredfast wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering how the DVO diamond and topaz work on the Af compare to what fox and RockShox have?

Disclaimer: I've haven't owned a Fox or Rockshox product from the last 3 model years, but lots of experience with older Fox/RS and have owned recent high end Manitou products. Never ridden a bike with DVO before the RAF.

The Diamond and Topaz have been great on the hand full of rides I've gotten in so far on the RAF, and overall impression is good. The Topaz is quite simple, but effective. Small bump compliance is good, but not enough riding yet to really comment on the small details, as I'm just now finding my ideal air spring pressure. I'm finding that required spring pressure for me is slightly firmer than when using the suggested sag guidelines for my weight. There's still the option of adding/swapping volume spacers, but I doubt I'll need that. The Diamond is really good so far, and between air pressure and OTT adjustments, I'm able to get good support without adding much LSC (I've been going between 1 and 2 for LSC). At the moment, the fork is set up VERY supple at initial stroke, and ramps up nicely for support.

Some Extra Points for DVO:
I love the fact that both Diamond and Topaz are user serviceable, because I like to tinker and save money. Setup support from DVO seems to be amazing. I submitted a small question about the negative spring, as I thought it was an air spring and was concerned with the fork sucking down into it's travel when releasing air (more than I'm used to with other forks). In less than a day, Bryson Martin himself emailed me back and explained the system. The fact that the Owner of DVO replied to such a simple question, speaks volumes to me about the company.

In short, I've ridden the bike about 6 times, and I'm very impressed with DVO.

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 9:02 Quote
Kmccann137 wrote:
Anyone find a good 165mm carbon crankset for the RAF?

Only eThirteen from what I've found.

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 15:37 Quote
schwaaa31 wrote:
Shredfast wrote:
Hi,

I think it might work because the same thing happened when I was buying a bike rack from them but I just called customer service and they made it work.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 4:45 Quote
Shredfast wrote:
schwaaa31 wrote:
Shredfast wrote:
Hi,

I think it might work because the same thing happened when I was buying a bike rack from them but I just called customer service and they made it work.

Almost every online sale with XX% off doesn’t apply to bikes, and will be in the fine print when you “click for details”. I would be very surprised if a call to anyone changed that. Backcountry actually specifies “discounts don’t apply to Ibis and Yeti bikes” on its sale page.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 9:06 Quote
Paddybananas wrote:
Almost every online sale with XX% off doesn’t apply to bikes, and will be in the fine print when you “click for details”. I would be very surprised if a call to anyone changed that. Backcountry actually specifies “discounts don’t apply to Ibis and Yeti bikes” on its sale page.

Same with Competitive Cyclist who says you can take 20% off your first order.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 22:41 Quote
dubod22 wrote:
I've had the Ripmo AF for a couple of months now and love it. The weird thing is, I puncture a hell of a lot now, having gone years without a puncture on my Nukeproof 290 and Merida 160 before that.

It may be down to one or more of the following reasons, but I was wondering whether anyone else was experiencing something similar;

1) I'm hitting things harder at the same tyre pressure as before. I am going faster no doubt. This bike simply encourages faster speeds.
2) I changed from Stans Flows MK3 to DT Swiss EX511. Profile of the rim cutting tyres?
3) Coincidence and just bad luck - you wait for one bus and 3 come along at once and all that.

Anyway, the Ripmo AF is going to go down as a classic for sure. The one thing they could tidy up on is giving it a proper chainstay protector like those seen on the Enduro/Megatower/Ransom as my ziptied old tyre looks a bit funky

I have a Merida one sixty 7000 carbon 2017. How does the Ripmo AF compare? The Merida feels little twitchy to me at speeds and goes off line in the rough definitely not a point and shoot for me. I am not the most confident rider even though I have been riding for over 5 years now. So something more confidence inspiring would be awesome. Bike looks RAD AF!!!

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 23:35 Quote
mtbernz wrote:
dubod22 wrote:
I've had the Ripmo AF for a couple of months now and love it. The weird thing is, I puncture a hell of a lot now, having gone years without a puncture on my Nukeproof 290 and Merida 160 before that.

It may be down to one or more of the following reasons, but I was wondering whether anyone else was experiencing something similar;

1) I'm hitting things harder at the same tyre pressure as before. I am going faster no doubt. This bike simply encourages faster speeds.
2) I changed from Stans Flows MK3 to DT Swiss EX511. Profile of the rim cutting tyres?
3) Coincidence and just bad luck - you wait for one bus and 3 come along at once and all that.

Anyway, the Ripmo AF is going to go down as a classic for sure. The one thing they could tidy up on is giving it a proper chainstay protector like those seen on the Enduro/Megatower/Ransom as my ziptied old tyre looks a bit funky

I have a Merida one sixty 7000 carbon 2017. How does the Ripmo AF compare? The Merida feels little twitchy to me at speeds and goes off line in the rough definitely not a point and shoot for me. I am not the most confident rider even though I have been riding for over 5 years now. So something more confidence inspiring would be awesome. Bike looks RAD AF!!!

I have only positive things to say about the Ripmo. Merida are doing some sweet bikes, and I actually have my 160 built up, but the Ripmo is up there with the best modern bikes. The only thing that can be a possible 'disadvantage' when comparing it to the current crop of superbikes (Firebird 29, SB150) etc is the fact it's not carbon, and that's not even a disadvantage really. If Ibis team riders decided to use this on the EWS circuit, you'd still see it getting top 10s regularly.

The fact that it's alloy is a greater selling point to me. I'm not as precious with it as I would be with a carbon and even if the carbon model was identical and even the same price, I'd take the alloy every time.

You wont regret it, so might as well hit the 'buy' button now and get on with it.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 0:31 Quote
mtbernz wrote:
I have a Merida one sixty 7000 carbon 2017. How does the Ripmo AF compare?

• Wheel size: The larger wheels on the Ibis will add stability and smoothness.
• Steering geometry: Ibis has slightly more stability. Shorter travel fork will not steepen quite as much at full compression.
• Sizing: Ibis is more than a half size larger, i.e. a Medium Ripmo AF fits somewhere between a Medium and Large One Sixty. You can also size up on the Ripmo AF due to the short seat-tube if you want extra length.
• Kinematics - pedaling anti-squat: A lot higher on the Ibis. Less squish when pedaling, but also more pedal kickback when climbing.
• Kinematics - motion ratio: Merida is less progressive, so it will feel firm and sit higher in its travel, while the Ibis will have a bit more sag and be more supple at first, then firm up.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 1:18 Quote
Thanks for the info really appreciated!!!

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 18:44 Quote
Any tall riders in this thread? I love the new Ripmos but I am 6’4 (mostly long legs) and I’m worried an XL won’t work. I know their site says an XL is up to 6’6 but I often don’t trust the websites completely. Curious if there are any riders out there around 6’4 that can comment on the fit. Mostly worried about having to Jack the seatpost so high it throws the whole geo off.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005804
Mobile Version of Website