Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 20:12 Quote
Scythe024 wrote:
Anybody rocking a Green Race Face Turbine R 35 stem? I'm curious to see if it matches the DVO suspension green, at least the caps, not the green fork casing.

In case anyone was curious, I rolled the dice and got the green hoping it would match. Glad I did too!

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 8:48 Quote
Can anyone with a Deore, SLX or XT 4pot brake set provide the width of the caliper?

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Can anyone with a Deore, SLX or XT 4pot brake set provide the width of the caliper?
I've got Saint on my RAF, but I grafted Deore 4 pot calipers onto the SLX levers on my hard tail.

The width of the main body of the caliper is 36mm but the widest part is at the top where the brake line and bleed screw enter side by side. That part is 39mm. It's a pretty massive caliper. Great performance though, way better than the 2 piston calipers they replaced.

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 9:26 Quote
mammal wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
I've got Saint on my RAF, but I grafted Deore 4 pot calipers onto the SLX levers on my hard tail.

The width of the main body of the caliper is 36mm but the widest part is at the top where the brake line and bleed screw enter side by side. That part is 39mm. It's a pretty massive caliper. Great performance though, way better than the 2 piston calipers they replaced.

Thanks, quite unrelated to this thread but I bought some MT5s for the wife’s bike but it has horrible post mount placement inside the frame, so they don’t have enough clearance. The MT5 caliper is 41mm. I think the Shimanos will fit as the bleed screw and banjo are in a spot that won’t hit the frame.

Thanks for the help.

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 18:47 Quote
Scythe024 wrote:
Scythe024 wrote:
Anybody rocking a Green Race Face Turbine R 35 stem? I'm curious to see if it matches the DVO suspension green, at least the caps, not the green fork casing.

In case anyone was curious, I rolled the dice and got the green hoping it would match. Glad I did too!

looks amazing. I've got some atlas green pedals en route Smile

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 18:37 Quote
Anybody have any recommendations or thoughts on whether the ~$300 upgrades to a fox float 36 factory grip 2 and/or the rear fox shock are good value and worth the money?

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 18:51 Quote
Stephendavis17 wrote:
Anybody have any recommendations or thoughts on whether the ~$300 upgrades to a fox float 36 factory grip 2 and/or the rear fox shock are good value and worth the money?

Upgrade to a Bike Yoke dropper and run the Onyx and Topaz.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 2:27 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Stephendavis17 wrote:

I didnt find the KS terrible but the lever certainly was. A wolftooth lever later and my intention to upgrade the dropper disappeared.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 3:47 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
Stephendavis17 wrote:

I didnt find the KS terrible but the lever certainly was. A wolftooth lever later and my intention to upgrade the dropper disappeared.

The KS is a good dropper. Bike Yoke is on another level IMO and fully user serviceable.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 4:06 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Snowrydr01 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

The KS is a good dropper. Bike Yoke is on another level IMO and fully user serviceable.

The lever that came with my KS post was one of the worst things I ever used. Just changed it out for a brand-x one for £25 which works a treat.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 9:58 Quote
Great tip on the lever change. Everyone happy with the DVO suspension? Did some more research and looks like the upgrade might not be that much of a performance enhancer...

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
Stephendavis17 wrote:
Great tip on the lever change. Everyone happy with the DVO suspension? Did some more research and looks like the upgrade might not be that much of a performance enhancer...

Happier with my DVO on the AF than I was my last bike with Fox Factory.

Comparing Jade X and DHX2 isn’t much different other than the rebound is more noticeable per click. The Topaz is also nice, easy to set up and nice to be able to tune volume of positive and negative air chambers.

Comparing the Onyx SC fork to the 36... don’t think I will ever buy another Fox fork. Once I found settings I liked for the dvo I haven’t touched it. The Factory 36 was pretty much tinker with it because it’s hot out, colder, really cold, at the bike park and so forth.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
Stephendavis17 wrote:

Suspension is such a personal opinion. If I were to sum up what I've learned from most people's experiences so far (PB and MTBR) it would be this:

- The DVO stuff on the RAF are tuned with a "traction tune", which means light damping. Heavier riders often have a bit of an issue finding the appropriate settings because of this. I guess DVO is offering a custom tune option now, so this might be beneficial for those riders.
- DVO products are pretty tune-able, and can be serviced at home with pretty simple tools. People who like to tinker and work on their own stuff usually find this very beneficial, but those who like to set/forget are usually less impressed with DVO, and those who don't want to do the servicing won't see that benefit.
- The DVO forks often need at least some level of servicing to reach their potential. Some are shipped in good working order. Some are shipped with an insufficient amount of oil in the lowers and just need a lower service. Some need a damper service off the bat. I can't comment on the % that need this, but it hasn't been uncommon at all on the two forum threads.
- The Diamond can seem a bit under-gunned for some riders, in comparison to the frame and rear shock's capabilities. I'm sure the Onyx being spec'd now will go a long way in addressing this, but I think it's a bigger problem with heavier riders creating more flex with the Diamond than lighter riders. That said, the Onyx still has the tenancies that I mentioned above, regarding forks.
- The Topaz seems to be pretty well received from most people that are looking for a poppy, more lively ride. It's a pretty simple shock, and seems to be very reliable. Again, heavier riders can have difficulty finding the right settings. Riders that want a more plush chunk-eating shock are probably better suited to the Jade-X.
- A few riders with the Jade-X have had issues with shaft wear, due to side loading. DVO has revised their coating to try and address this, but the issue been reported with that coating as well. With the right spring, I think people get along quite well with the Jade, but I can't really comment more, as I have a Topaz.

Now my personal experience. Going into my RAF purchase, I wanted a long travel trail-bike that I could still ride gnarlier terrain with on occasion. My choice of the Diamond and Topaz definitely fit the bill. I'm around 170lbs without kit on, and both work well for me. I did need to service the lowers on my Diamond after receiving the bike, but it felt really good afterward. I'm about to do a complete service on my Topaz and Diamond when my damper oil arrives next week, and happy I'm that I don't need to send them in for a $300+ service bill.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 11:48 Quote
How about compared to a Lyrik Ultimate? Considering that route for myself to save some weight...Or even a Mezzer, I've heard good things about those. If you can get past the fact that it looks backwards lol

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006686
Mobile Version of Website