Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
O+
Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 7:02 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Any tall riders in this thread? I love the new Ripmos but I am 6’4 (mostly long legs) and I’m worried an XL won’t work. I know their site says an XL is up to 6’6 but I often don’t trust the websites completely. Curious if there are any riders out there around 6’4 that can comment on the fit. Mostly worried about having to Jack the seatpost so high it throws the whole geo off.

Not sure how much help this is but I am 6’2 with a 35in inseam and the bike feels great. I am on a XL OG Ripmo. Previously I was on a XL Jeffsy and with the seat up while climbing I did feel as though I was towering over the bike at times. Have not had the same feeling on the Ripmo.

O+
Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
Found this thread and read the entirety after my buddy just put a deposit down for AF NX build. Before this I was leaning towards the Giant Reign 2 due to having a local bike shop (Kitchener area) vs Ibis being 1hr away in GTA traffic. But now I'm wondering if it's worth the drive for the better suspension.

Is it fair to say Ripmo AF is much better buy than the Reign or any Giant fans here?

Note, coming from an ancient hardtail that's been through its paces, probably hit as much tech or jumps as it can possibly take without rattling apart, so its going to be a leap in bike either way for sure. But want something park ready even if it's a lot of bike for the trails around KW.

O+
Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 18:17 Quote
oftherocks wrote:
Found this thread and read the entirety after my buddy just put a deposit down for AF NX build. Before this I was leaning towards the Giant Reign 2 due to having a local bike shop (Kitchener area) vs Ibis being 1hr away in GTA traffic. But now I'm wondering if it's worth the drive for the better suspension.

Is it fair to say Ripmo AF is much better buy than the Reign or any Giant fans here?

I can't say that i have ridden a modern Reign but the shop i bought my AF from also carries Giant. I looked at the Reign pretty hard and the owner actually has a Reign 29 SX that is one of his personal bikes. It's a bit more bike than the AF and standard Reign though.

The owner was willing to knock a pretty decent % off the Reign also since they are harder to move in a world of Santa Cruz, Yeti, Ibis, etc. For me the research and comparison ended when i saw it had a pressfit bottom bracket.
Never again.

For your money the AF is a better buy since it comes with top level suspension as opposed to the middle of the road setup of the Reign 2.

O+
Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 23:47 Quote
After a 2 month wait my ripmo af turned up yesterday . Now I've just got to get it built up. Made a start and fitted my old gx drivetrain, hunt wheels. Still got the brakes to sort and the steerer to cut, then its onto setup. Looking good so far though.
Off to bikeparkwales next friday so I best get a wriggle on!

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
In the span of 3 rides I have slashed the sidewalls on 2 exo minions, anyone else have this problem? On my previous bike (Stumpjumper evo) I ran exo high rollers and didn't tear a single sidewall for over 4 years. Seems weird that a bike could cause me to tear sidewalls, but maybe the increased travel and wider rims have something to do with it? Going with the double down this time.

Posted: Mar 1, 2020 at 21:54 Quote
jpculp wrote:
In the span of 3 rides I have slashed the sidewalls on 2 exo minions, anyone else have this problem? On my previous bike (Stumpjumper evo) I ran exo high rollers and didn't tear a single sidewall for over 4 years. Seems weird that a bike could cause me to tear sidewalls, but maybe the increased travel and wider rims have something to do with it? Going with the double down this time.

1. EXO casings are pretty light-duty. I recommend the EXO+ for most people, as it's slightly tougher.
2. Wide rims make a huge difference. As soon as the sidewall extends beyond the lugs, it's no longer shielded from damage by the lugs.
3. Your rear-centre is a bit longer, so you're probably clipping things you were previously narrowly avoiding.
4. You're probably riding a bit faster on a more capable bike.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
jpculp wrote:
In the span of 3 rides I have slashed the sidewalls on 2 exo minions, anyone else have this problem?

Better ideas from RMR, above (edited).

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
jpculp wrote:

What size were the minions you slashed?

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 9:16 Quote
NateMob wrote:
jpculp wrote:

What size were the minions you slashed?

2.5", just ordered a double down high-roller, hopefully it will be sturdy enough! Definitely riding this bike more aggressively and with less precision because the suspension is so good.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 13:56 Quote
NateMob wrote:
oftherocks wrote:

I can't say that i have ridden a modern Reign but the shop i bought my AF from also carries Giant. I looked at the Reign pretty hard and the owner actually has a Reign 29 SX that is one of his personal bikes. It's a bit more bike than the AF and standard Reign though.

The owner was willing to knock a pretty decent % off the Reign also since they are harder to move in a world of Santa Cruz, Yeti, Ibis, etc. For me the research and comparison ended when i saw it had a pressfit bottom bracket.
Never again.

For your money the AF is a better buy since it comes with top level suspension as opposed to the middle of the road setup of the Reign 2.

Thanks for this, makes sense. I called in a order to the Ibis dealer yesterday, going for it.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 19:58 Quote
What are thoughts on chain guard for Ripmo AF NX build?

Thinking I'll add bash guard for sure and probably huck Norris to the tubeless.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 7:22 Quote
oftherocks wrote:
I was leaning towards the Giant Reign 2 due to having a local bike shop (Kitchener area) vs Ibis being 1hr away in GTA traffic. But now I'm wondering if it's worth the drive for the better suspension.

Is it fair to say Ripmo AF is much better buy than the Reign or any Giant fans here? .

Even though it sounds like you've made your decision, I figured I'd chime in because I was also seriously considering the Reign 29 Alum, and that's probably going to be a common theme for people looking for big value 2020 bikes.

I've owned a Reign in the past, and am just coming off a Trance for the last two years. I've always been impressed with the quality of their frames/builds, and the value they pass on to the customer. That said there were two big reasons why I ended up on a Ripmo. First is the obvious one, I'd need to drop a lot more cake on a Reign 29, if I want decent suspension. That's one area I won't be satisfied with a compromise, and the fact that there's only a base model Alum build was almost a non-starter (calculator and quick google search for Yari upgrades...).

The one thing that may get missed (reason #2), is the Front-center jump between Medium and Large frames. The medium Reign 29 has about the same reach as the medium Ripmo, but then the Large Reign jumps 38mm to the Large, bringing it to around the same as the XL Ripmo. It's like the Reign 29 has a size Small, Medium, XL, and XXL. It's not an apples-apples comparison, as the Reign seat angle is a bit steeper, but that doesn't justify the huge jump in length between sizes. At 5'11", knew I'd either end up on a frame that's too short, or one that's a bit too long. With the Large Ripmo, it feels perfect. I'm not sure what the heck Giant was up to with their sizing this year...

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 7:26 Quote
oftherocks wrote:
What are thoughts on chain guard for Ripmo AF NX build?

Thinking I'll add bash guard for sure and probably huck Norris to the tubeless.

I'm using a V1 Oneup Bash Guide and it works great. I did have to grind down(shorten) the top bolt for the guide so it would clear the lower Ripmo link that sits directly behind it.

Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 7:42 Quote
NateMob wrote:
I'm using a V1 Oneup Bash Guide and it works great. I did have to grind down(shorten) the top bolt for the guide so it would clear the lower Ripmo link that sits directly behind it.

If the Ripmo has tight clearance behind the guide (I have a Bird AM9 with the same problem), the Funn Zippa Lite guide and Zippa Bash are nice items with an especially low profile on the back side.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 15:20 Quote
The new steed ripmo af
Finished chucking the bike together and setting the suspension up. Hoping I can squeeze a ride on it before I head off to wales on the weekend!
Really happy with the bike so far, just need to tidy some bits up

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011323
Mobile Version of Website