Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 6:41 Quote
I painted my headtube badge black shortly after I got the bike in March of last year. Easy

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 11:41 Quote
Anybody have a clue if we will see a Ripmo AF V2 anytime soon?

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
ckkone wrote:

The AF was the "proto V2" before they released the Ripmo V2, so I doubt it. I don't think Ibis doesn't has a track record for changing their models very often, so I wouldn't hold your breath for a new version.

Looking for geo changes?

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 12:57 Quote
mammal wrote:
ckkone wrote:

The AF was the "proto V2" before they released the Ripmo V2, so I doubt it. I don't think Ibis doesn't has a track record for changing their models very often, so I wouldn't hold your breath for a new version.

Looking for geo changes?

Just my guesses but I draw my clue from the newly released Ripley AF, much of the features, down to the way they route cables in the downtube (Both AFs share the same cable port hardware) look pretty much the same with the Ripmo AF aside from weight and maybe some newly designed “swanky” frame protection that Ibis said will be back ordered for the Ripley AF owners.

I’m hoping that the latter’s bits and pieces can be retrofitted for existing Ripmo AF customers like us!

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 17:10 Quote
ckkone wrote:

Id be surprised to see a updated Ripmo AF before 2022

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 18:04 Quote
Scythe024 wrote:
ckkone wrote:

Not much I'd update. They just released the Ripley AF which has a pretty similar looking frame design so they seem pretty keen on it. I am too. It's a bit fugly, but there still isn't a stock alu bike on the market that checks as many boxes, least not for that price.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 15:20 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Scythe024 wrote:
ckkone wrote:

Not much I'd update. They just released the Ripley AF which has a pretty similar looking frame design so they seem pretty keen on it. I am too. It's a bit fugly, but there still isn't a stock alu bike on the market that checks as many boxes, least not for that price.

Not much I'd update either, but maybe they can find a way to shave weight or something. 3 year upgrade cycle seems fairly common though. The amount of people asking if a new version is coming or waiting for a new version because they don't want to buy a 3 year old design is fairly common. They don't care if the older version is still amazing, they just don't want to feel like they bought something only to have a new version shortly after.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 1:48 Quote
Anybody else looked at the Ripley AF and is contemplating drilling holes in the clevis and forward frame mount part of the Ripmo AF to save some weight?!

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 4:50 Quote
vizsla99 wrote:
Anybody else looked at the Ripley AF and is contemplating drilling holes in the clevis and forward frame mount part of the Ripmo AF to save some weight?!

Dude, no.

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 5:00 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
vizsla99 wrote:

Dude, no.

This is what winter does to people.

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 6:08 Quote
vizsla99 wrote:

Dear god, no. Is it the 90's again?

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 6:42 Quote
Even so, you might shave 100g by doing all that lol.

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 7:12 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:

I've got easily a 100grams of blubber just surrounding my belly button, or in the bottom half of my small water bottle. A lighter front tire or rim would probably do the job great.

Looking at the new Ripley AF, I'm curious how they saved so many grams off what looks like the same frame. Would that hollow clevis and driver really add up to that?

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 7:19 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:

I've got easily a 100grams of blubber just surrounding my belly button, or in the bottom half of my small water bottle. A lighter front tire or rim would probably do the job great.

Looking at the new Ripley AF, I'm curious how they saved so many grams off what looks like the same frame. Would that hollow clevis and driver really add up to that?

They do look surprisingly similar, interesting. I guess I assumed the tubes on the Ripley were smaller/thinner since they don't necessarily need to be big and burly.

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 7:24 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:

They do look surprisingly similar, interesting. I guess I assumed the tubes on the Ripley were smaller/thinner since they don't necessarily need to be big and burly.

It's possible they're using thinner wall tubing, but I'd be surprised, as that would require a lot more tube inventory for the supplier between both AF bikes. I'm not sure Ibis is doing the kind of numbers that would justify that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012899
Mobile Version of Website