Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 19:42 Quote
domdb wrote:
OpeSorryAbootThat wrote:
It appears to have been a few months since the last similar post, so I though I would check to see if anyone had recently had a new Ripmo AF delivered (calling @BooZiggy).

I ordered mine back in December and was told it would be in the shop by march (it sounded like the shop had already had the bike on order) and now the shop says there is no definite word from Ibis. I'm trying not to pester them since I am certain there's a million other people in the same boat but it's still frustrating.

Ordered mine in june, got it in march. Was originally told it would arrive in august, then september, then december, then january, and then in april. I got 'lucky' and ibis agreed to send my bike without casette and shifter so that I could get it in march instead of later. Since ibis pay around $60 for the $100 retail deore casette and $15 for the $30 retail deore shifter, they were only able to refund 60 for the casette and 15 for the shifter. That meant I had to pay the rest out of my own pocket to get the parts. The bike did come with slx cranks though.

Yikes... Now I’m a little worried. I was told by my shop that I got lucky and hopped on the last slot they’d already pre-ordered ordered several months ago in anticipation of another high demand season (I put a deposit down early/mid march). They said it should be here sometime in April, but no definitive answer of course, and the couple times I’ve checked they hadn’t heard any updates.

While I’ve been waiting I’ve been buying some parts I was intending to upgrade my Deore build with... Things have gotten a bit out of hand since I’ve been without a bike for a couple years (due to an injury), and seem to be channeling my anticipation/excitement into parts buying Rolleyes . Anyways, so far I have a full drivetrain to put on it as soon as the shop gets my bike in (E*Thirteen carbon cranks and Helix cassette, XTR shifter, XT derailleur... depending on how long the wait is and how my self-control fairs, I may add Hope V4s to the list).

Anyways, did you ask Ibis directly if they’d ship without drivetrain components or did your shop facilitate that? I was planning to either sell the take-off parts or keep some as spares, but if I could get my bike faster without the drivetrain, I totally would at this point.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 23:57 Quote
OpeSorryAbootThat wrote:
domdb wrote:
OpeSorryAbootThat wrote:
It appears to have been a few months since the last similar post, so I though I would check to see if anyone had recently had a new Ripmo AF delivered (calling @BooZiggy).

I ordered mine back in December and was told it would be in the shop by march (it sounded like the shop had already had the bike on order) and now the shop says there is no definite word from Ibis. I'm trying not to pester them since I am certain there's a million other people in the same boat but it's still frustrating.

Ordered mine in june, got it in march. Was originally told it would arrive in august, then september, then december, then january, and then in april. I got 'lucky' and ibis agreed to send my bike without casette and shifter so that I could get it in march instead of later. Since ibis pay around $60 for the $100 retail deore casette and $15 for the $30 retail deore shifter, they were only able to refund 60 for the casette and 15 for the shifter. That meant I had to pay the rest out of my own pocket to get the parts. The bike did come with slx cranks though.

Happy to hear I can expect to get my bike in -1 to 6 months based on the replies. Hopefully it comes in soon, glad to hear folks have been getting SLX bits rather than Shimeng Toumey on their Deore orders.

My shop told me that Ibis won't ever spec bikes with worse parts. I'm pretty sure deore is the lowest groupset ibis buys for any of their bikes so it's impossible to get anything lower like tourney (but they might ship without parts like in my case). I don't think tourney is even available in 12s. My shop was explaining to me how some of the xt, xtr, xo1, and xx1 specced bikes are taking longer since there is either less options and parts that ibis can upgrade to to replace the missing part, or there is no parts at all (only the case with the highest groupsets).

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 0:04 Quote
yycyyc wrote:
OpeSorryAbootThat wrote:
domdb wrote:

Happy to hear I can expect to get my bike in -1 to 6 months based on the replies. Hopefully it comes in soon, glad to hear folks have been getting SLX bits rather than Shimeng Toumey on their Deore orders.

I placed an order in Feb. I was told that they should have the frame by March 30th (haven't checked to confirm) with the Deore build kit arriving 2 - 3 months after. Fingers crossed for a June arrival!

You will probably get your bike quicker than it took for me because I think one of the big problems with my order was that I think my bike shop waited quite some time to order the rafs after I ordered through them (I imagine your bike shop already had a bunch of rafs ordered when u placed your order). I remember my frame arrived relatively quickly to ibis, but the deore groupset is what was causing problems. In september I tried to work out a deal with ibis through my shop for them to send the frame with only a few parts but I think at the time, if you removed or changed parts on your order it basically put the order at the back of the line. The shop employee was also extremely reluctant to try to make a deal with Ibis. Ironically, in the end, Ibis ended up doing what I had wanted to do. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, Ibis seems to be more flexible now and your shop is probably dealing the situation much better than how mine did.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 0:30 Quote
shammer8 wrote:
domdb wrote:
OpeSorryAbootThat wrote:

Yikes... Now I’m a little worried. I was told by my shop that I got lucky and hopped on the last slot they’d already pre-ordered ordered several months ago in anticipation of another high demand season (I put a deposit down early/mid march). They said it should be here sometime in April, but no definitive answer of course, and the couple times I’ve checked they hadn’t heard any updates.

While I’ve been waiting I’ve been buying some parts I was intending to upgrade my Deore build with... Things have gotten a bit out of hand since I’ve been without a bike for a couple years (due to an injury), and seem to be channeling my anticipation/excitement into parts buying Rolleyes . Anyways, so far I have a full drivetrain to put on it as soon as the shop gets my bike in (E*Thirteen carbon cranks and Helix cassette, XTR shifter, XT derailleur... depending on how long the wait is and how my self-control fairs, I may add Hope V4s to the list).

Anyways, did you ask Ibis directly if they’d ship without drivetrain components or did your shop facilitate that? I was planning to either sell the take-off parts or keep some as spares, but if I could get my bike faster without the drivetrain, I totally would at this point.

I tried to get my shop to ask for me since, well, thats pretty much the point of buying through a shop, right? However, like I've said before, it turned out my shop just didn't want to cooperate; every time I called them or went to the shop to talk to them they would avoid the question and just give me the same bs response that the whole industry was delayed. Of course that's the truth, but what upset me was that they didn't seem to want to try to work anything out with Ibis. I was then going to contact Ibis myself, but I got really busy and just lost my motivation. If I were you, I would ask the shop to contact ibis first, but if it seems like that's not working out or if your impatient which I totally understand, give them a call or email.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 0:48 Quote
domdb wrote:
I tried to get my shop to ask for me since, well, thats pretty much the point of buying through a shop, right? However, like I've said before, it turned out my shop just didn't want to cooperate; every time I called them or went to the shop to talk to them they would avoid the question and just give me the same bs response that the whole industry was delayed. Of course that's the truth, but what upset me was that they didn't seem to want to try to work anything out with Ibis. I was then going to contact Ibis myself, but I got really busy and just lost my motivation. If I were you, I would ask the shop to contact ibis first, but if it seems like that's not working out or if your impatient which I totally understand, give them a call or email.

Thanks! My shop has been really good about getting in touch with Ibis so far, from what I can tell anyways. I decided to go with carbon wheels a week after I spec’d my build, and they made sure I could make the change without effecting my place in line. They also answered some questions I had that they had to ask Ibis about, and got right back to me, and when I asked if I could bring some parts to swap out in the initial build, they said they’d do so at no extra cost. I’ll see what they think about getting a bike faster sans Deore drivetrain.

If it ends up being brakes that hold it up, I guess that will probably be all the encouragement I need to go full bling with some Hope V4s (if I can even find a pair) Razz Though I’m a bit torn between those or TRP DH-R Evos, Magura MT-7s, or Hayes Dominions... But that’s all just me getting ahead of myself before I even have the bike to hang my excessive parts buying decisions on. My self justification is that I’ve never really liked the Shimano on/off brake feel. If blinging out gets me the bike faster, that will just add fuel to my stimulus burning fire.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 12:58 Quote
shammer8 wrote:
domdb wrote:
OpeSorryAbootThat wrote:

I ordered in August and had a March date from then. March date came and Ibis pushed back to mid April. Mid April came and now saying mid May. My shop has been great and from what they say are in contact with their Ibis rep pretty regularly. I know they've gotten bikes in without cassettes and shifter so they've had success getting bikes missing parts. They've been able to source those with a little more flexibility than Ibis I guess.

Not sure what to think at this point. I signed up for March but am worried its going to start getting pushed back monthly until who knows. My shop has been great and I can tell they're just as frustrated as me, maybe more. They're a smaller volume dealer though so I'm sure Ibis isn't doing them any favors.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
ArclightIronworks wrote:
DHhack wrote:
ArclightIronworks wrote:

Mahalo plinden1. After talking with a tech wizard at DVO today, am totally convinced that rock'n the DVO front (Onyx D1, 44mm offset, 160mm, custom tuned) and DVO rear (Jade X with 500# coil) shocks are ROI positive. Perhaps swapping the 500# coil with a progressive 450-550# based on my physical specs [200lbs, 6ft 2in].

DVO was super helpful over the phone and said to write themnand they'll provide written baseline setup info.

Appreciate your recommendation to save fund$, without loss of performance, by targeting the Shimano XTM8100 groupset vice the XTR9100. Am not a gram-saving MTB'r by any stretch. She'll be run hard for sure!

God, I love talking to talented, professional, and insightful humans. Thanks again! Cool

I’m your size (6’4” and 205ish) and went for the 525-650 spring. The 500 straight rate spring used up its travel very easily. With 1000 gram Versus trail tires I’m roughly 34.6lbs (bathroom scale) on the XL with X01 full drivetrain.

DHhack - Awesome. And dully noted. Perhaps, I heard the DVO incorrectly today. Ha! Will look into a progressive in the 525-650lbf range. Mahalo! Cool

UPDATE: Expecting the receipt of the bike in early May, having ordered her in early Mar. Based on what I've read in subsequent posts within this threads my Spidey Senses are tingling a tad. Am hopeful my nLBS in CA can work their magic and deliver on-time. Only calling the nLBS once monthly out of respect and to tame the drama. Everyone within the cycling, and many related consumer products, industry is along on this ride.

Recently sold my customized 2010 Kona Caldera HT to a local bro. He loves her, but I'm sans a cycle. Been hiking like a madman to keep the juice alive!

Will continue to deploy patience on this Ibis endeavor

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 8:51 Quote
Hey shredders! Who has time on both the Diamond and Onyx and can weigh in on the differences (yeah it's burlier) and if the Onyx feels "better", whatever that means.

I spent a couple months on the Diamond before moving to a Lyrik but am getting pretty curious about the Onyx now. No real drama from the Lyrik, just kicking around the idea of throwing a coil in there or trying an Onyx.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 12:40 Quote
A year and a half after i bought it as an NX version , i still think that its by far the best bike i've ever had by far. Its a bike that does everything pretty much perfect.

Hope you like it.

Enjoy.

photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 13:05 Quote
FiLaReToS wrote:
A year and a half after i bought it as an NX version , i still think that its by far the best bike i've ever had by far. Its a bike that does everything pretty much perfect.

Hope you like it.

Enjoy.

I'm a year and 3 months with mine, and I'm actually liking it more this year than last. I still loved it when I bought it, but fully adjusting to a 29er took some time, and other changes such as more refined shock/fork setup (performance) and packing the pivots with thicker grease (reduced noise) have pushed the enjoyment levels to an all-time high.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 13:10 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
Hey shredders! Who has time on both the Diamond and Onyx and can weigh in on the differences (yeah it's burlier) and if the Onyx feels "better", whatever that means.

I spent a couple months on the Diamond before moving to a Lyrik but am getting pretty curious about the Onyx now. No real drama from the Lyrik, just kicking around the idea of throwing a coil in there or trying an Onyx.

I can only offer second hand feedback, but I did some shuttles with a guy who works at a very reputable suspension tuning place, who has ridden both. He had an Onyx, saw I had a diamond, so we chatted a bit. He said the dampers are pretty much the same, but that he actually preferred the Diamond air spring for it's ramp-up. Of course, the chassis is a bit stiffer, so from his comments, I'd say it's probably very similar to the Diamond, but a bit stiffer, and you may want to play with air volume if you want the Onyx to ramp like the Diamond.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 14:33 Quote
mammal wrote:
I can only offer second hand feedback, but I did some shuttles with a guy who works at a very reputable suspension tuning place, who has ridden both. He had an Onyx, saw I had a diamond, so we chatted a bit. He said the dampers are pretty much the same, but that he actually preferred the Diamond air spring for it's ramp-up. Of course, the chassis is a bit stiffer, so from his comments, I'd say it's probably very similar to the Diamond, but a bit stiffer, and you may want to play with air volume if you want the Onyx to ramp like the Diamond.

For even more stiffness pick up an Onyx SC E1 (Ebike fork). Downside is it may be valved stiffer as well. I'm still on the hunt for an Onyx, want the rigidity and air bleeders Big Grin

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 14:52 Quote
FiLaReToS wrote:

Hope you like it.

Enjoy.

photo

photo

photo

That’s awesome love the pics. How do you like the fox fork?

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 23:29 Quote
Kmccann137 wrote:
FiLaReToS wrote:

Hope you like it.

Enjoy.

photo

photo

photo

Im not gonna say that its night and day compared to the Diamond that i had from stock , but its waaaay stiffer and it keeps you higher on the travel all the time.

So i guess its better than the diamond for the kind of gnarly trails i ride.

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 12:40 Quote
FiLaReToS wrote:
Kmccann137 wrote:
FiLaReToS wrote:

Hope you like it.

Enjoy.

photo

photo

photo

Im not gonna say that its night and day compared to the Diamond that i had from stock , but its waaaay stiffer and it keeps you higher on the travel all the time.

So i guess its better than the diamond for the kind of gnarly trails i ride.

I am having the same thoughts on the Onyx SC. I was using too much travel in the chunk yesterday.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018534
Mobile Version of Website