Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: May 2, 2021 at 13:45 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
mammal wrote:
Sniff303 wrote:
Not sure if this has been discussed. I will ride one day and if I ride a day or two later my air bladder keeps losing air pressure. I’ll have it in the 180 range and it will be down to 110/120. Has anyone else had their topaz do this.

Some people have reported this, and I believe even DVO suggests checking/topping up pressure in the bladder every ride or two. I think it comes from the bladder and the air valve base piece and how they fit together, but mine has never had the issue. From new, and then after disassembling everything for service this January, the bladder hasn't leaked on mine.

That said, it's easy to think that it's losing pressure when it's not, as so much of that small air volume goes into your pump when you first attach it. If it's noticeably lower after a day or two than when you reattach the pump again right after you've reached your 190psi, then it's obviously losing air. But I know a lot of people get confused with the pressure loss on reattachment of the pump, so just wanted to mention that. Cheers.

The bladder is extremely small. If you want to truly see the air pressure you need to prime your hand pump by threading on, but not enough to actually open the bladder. Pump it to the pressure you last set it at and then finish screwing on the pump and allow the pump/bladder to equalize.

That’s ridiculous. Pump it to your pressure. Remove pump. Put pump back on and note what that pressure is, probably drop 30-40psi. Now you know if it’s dropping much after a week or two.

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
Superfli wrote:
I'll add my settings for reference. I'm very happy with my diamonds. Very supply, yet enough support and very rarely bottom out.
155lb
110-115 psi
5.5 turns OTT
9 clicks from open of HSC (1.5 turns)
1 LSC
Rebound is almost open/fast.

Onyx takes very different air pressures so no direct comparison here. I haven't settled on any settings except "fairly open", I'll add what I end up with later.

140lb
0 turns OTT
Currently have 65psi which gives 27mm sag, 16% of 170mm "firm"

The recommended 2-3 OTT at this pressure gave too much negative spring and the exposed stanchion at rest after a test ride measured 155-160mm.

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 15:16 Quote
DHhack wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
mammal wrote:

Some people have reported this, and I believe even DVO suggests checking/topping up pressure in the bladder every ride or two. I think it comes from the bladder and the air valve base piece and how they fit together, but mine has never had the issue. From new, and then after disassembling everything for service this January, the bladder hasn't leaked on mine.

That said, it's easy to think that it's losing pressure when it's not, as so much of that small air volume goes into your pump when you first attach it. If it's noticeably lower after a day or two than when you reattach the pump again right after you've reached your 190psi, then it's obviously losing air. But I know a lot of people get confused with the pressure loss on reattachment of the pump, so just wanted to mention that. Cheers.

The bladder is extremely small. If you want to truly see the air pressure you need to prime your hand pump by threading on, but not enough to actually open the bladder. Pump it to the pressure you last set it at and then finish screwing on the pump and allow the pump/bladder to equalize.

That’s ridiculous. Pump it to your pressure. Remove pump. Put pump back on and note what that pressure is, probably drop 30-40psi. Now you know if it’s dropping much after a week or two.

Yeah, basically the same result. 1000 ways to skin a cat, homie.

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 18:38 Quote
First ride (2.5 hr) on the a new Ripmo AF. Here's my report coming off a 2014 Trek Fuel 8:
- small bump sensitivity on the suspension is awesome and the it plowed through large BC roots and rocks like they weren't even there - downhill further pumped blood into my appendage as this thing hammered the downhill like I was on a couch with monster truck wheels.
- I noticed the weight a touch on the uphill but this may have had more to due with my winter lethargy and the Assegai tires.
- slight pedal bob noticed when out of the saddle pumping hard (fork and shock in mid mode) but nothing that even hints at a cause for concern
- bought the Deore version with plans of putting a full XT kit on when parts come available but honestly the 4 pot Deore brakes blew away my old 2 pot XT's - zero complaints with the 12 speed drive train or any other components.
- Lizard skin grips were grippy AF but a little on the thin side - going to put the ole Ergon GE's back on.
- Only thing I might change right away is the Assegai tires......these too are grippy AF but the poor rolling resistance was noticeable.....they smashed the loose stuff uphill and were great on the down but I wasn't a fan everywhere else.........just my personal opinion though........others may find them perfect for their needs - likely going back to my favorite DHR front and Aggressor rear.
That's about all the writing my time allows for right now.........hope those of you who are waiting for your Ripmo's get to mount up soon.

PS - the multi step suspension setup was a bit of a pain in the sack and is best done with beer on hand. I followed the DVO setup guide and the suspension for me (at 187lbs) was not spot on but an excellent baseline. Please note that whoever came up with the manual air pressure designations was possible high on cocaine at the time of drafting as for me they provided about 5% sag and needed to be aired down considerably. I was initially a little shocked and concerned at first but they seemed to ride fine today.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 16:34 Quote
I have a 2020 AF NX build with Fox (36 Performance, DPX2) and only rode the bike for three months before taking it into the shop for warranty issues for the front and rear Fox suspension. It's been in the shop for 6 weeks so far (waiting on Fox), they said the headset and rear hub are also shot. The KS dropper has always been sketchy too, getting caught mid travel, not raising sometimes.

I ride often but not enough to warrant this many issues. I also trust the shop as they are quite reputable and well reviewed.

Are new bikes more fragile than they used to be or did I just get a lemon? Anyone else have similar issues?

(I hope I just got a lemon, I don't want to put anyone off this bike, its super fun)

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 18:25 Quote
canuck8 wrote:
First ride (2.5 hr) on the a new Ripmo AF. Here's my report coming off a 2014 Trek Fuel 8:
- small bump sensitivity on the suspension is awesome and the it plowed through large BC roots and rocks like they weren't even there - downhill further pumped blood into my appendage as this thing hammered the downhill like I was on a couch with monster truck wheels.
- I noticed the weight a touch on the uphill but this may have had more to due with my winter lethargy and the Assegai tires.
- slight pedal bob noticed when out of the saddle pumping hard (fork and shock in mid mode) but nothing that even hints at a cause for concern
- bought the Deore version with plans of putting a full XT kit on when parts come available but honestly the 4 pot Deore brakes blew away my old 2 pot XT's - zero complaints with the 12 speed drive train or any other components.
- Lizard skin grips were grippy AF but a little on the thin side - going to put the ole Ergon GE's back on.
- Only thing I might change right away is the Assegai tires......these too are grippy AF but the poor rolling resistance was noticeable.....they smashed the loose stuff uphill and were great on the down but I wasn't a fan everywhere else.........just my personal opinion though........others may find them perfect for their needs - likely going back to my favorite DHR front and Aggressor rear.
That's about all the writing my time allows for right now.........hope those of you who are waiting for your Ripmo's get to mount up soon.

PS - the multi step suspension setup was a bit of a pain in the sack and is best done with beer on hand. I followed the DVO setup guide and the suspension for me (at 187lbs) was not spot on but an excellent baseline. Please note that whoever came up with the manual air pressure designations was possible high on cocaine at the time of drafting as for me they provided about 5% sag and needed to be aired down considerably. I was initially a little shocked and concerned at first but they seemed to ride fine today.

I sold my 2016 trek fuel ex 8 29er in june and I got the af a month ago, so its hard to compare exactly since its been a while since I rode the fuel, but the biggest change I noticed was suspension imo. When I had the fuel, I never got along with the suspension, especially the shock. I must have been running 15% sag, and I had a decent amount of pedal bob and was still bottoming out super hard on small features. I ended up snapping one of the linkage bolts holding the shock because I was bottoming it out too often.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 6:18 Quote
Hey everyone, looking into a Ripmo AF once the 2022 models come out, I'll probably get the deore build and possibly upgrade to SLX drivetrain if I feel like it. (I have actually heard Deore 12 speed is awesome). I was looking around at where to buy them from and I found WrenchScience. I noticed that they have a few options for customization, and was thinking about whether I should replace the Onyx fork with a Fox 36 Factory grip2, as is one of the options. It's $290 extra, which does seem like a decent price. I was wondering how all of you liked the stock fork, and if you had any issues with it/how it would compare to the 36. With that said, they also had the option to replace the Topaz shock with an X2 factory. I wasn't planning on going for this because some people have told me about blowing up new X2s.
Just looking for some opinions on this plan. Thanks Smile

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 6:43 Quote
liamshreds24 wrote:
Hey everyone, looking into a Ripmo AF once the 2022 models come out, I'll probably get the deore build and possibly upgrade to SLX drivetrain if I feel like it. (I have actually heard Deore 12 speed is awesome). I was looking around at where to buy them from and I found WrenchScience. I noticed that they have a few options for customization, and was thinking about whether I should replace the Onyx fork with a Fox 36 Factory grip2, as is one of the options. It's $290 extra, which does seem like a decent price. I was wondering how all of you liked the stock fork, and if you had any issues with it/how it would compare to the 36. With that said, they also had the option to replace the Topaz shock with an X2 factory. I wasn't planning on going for this because some people have told me about blowing up new X2s.

I have the Onyx and Topaz and love them both. Rather than using Ibis' settings I set it up with the DVO recommended settings and haven't looked back. My cousin has the Factory 36 and a Factory DPX2 on a different bike and is always adjusting them in one way or another. Is it the shock's fault? IDK, maybe he's just a fiddler. Who knows. All I know is that I love the DVO suspension and can't think of any reason I would swap it out for the Fox stuff.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 6:46 Quote
bananahammocktan wrote:
I have a 2020 AF NX build with Fox (36 Performance, DPX2) and only rode the bike for three months before taking it into the shop for warranty issues for the front and rear Fox suspension. It's been in the shop for 6 weeks so far (waiting on Fox), they said the headset and rear hub are also shot. The KS dropper has always been sketchy too, getting caught mid travel, not raising sometimes.

I ride often but not enough to warrant this many issues. I also trust the shop as they are quite reputable and well reviewed.

Are new bikes more fragile than they used to be or did I just get a lemon? Anyone else have similar issues?

(I hope I just got a lemon, I don't want to put anyone off this bike, its super fun)

I can't speak for the Fox stuff, as I've got a Diamond and Topaz on mine. 3 months sounds way too soon for the Cane Creek headset and stock Ibis hub to give up and die. I've never found Cane Creek Headsets to have amazingly long lasting bearings, but I usually get at least a season out of them. I do repack them after a while though. And I've been on the stock hub for 14 months now, and all it's needed is a bit of a freehub re-grease from time to time, no issues for me. Ibis is really good about warranty for the stuff that came on the bikes, so hopefully you'll get taken care of.

The headsets are super standard fare, and most people's concerns with the hubs are related to POE, as opposed to quality issues. Sucks that you seem to have gotten a bit of a weak package of parts.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 9:52 Quote
Curious, where do you live? Are you riding in a ton of mud and pressure washing? Are there any factors that might be exacerbating component wear?

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 9:58 Quote
estinehart wrote:
I have the Onyx and Topaz and love them both. Rather than using Ibis' settings I set it up with the DVO recommended settings and haven't looked back. My cousin has the Factory 36 and a Factory DPX2 on a different bike and is always adjusting them in one way or another. Is it the shock's fault? IDK, maybe he's just a fiddler. Who knows. All I know is that I love the DVO suspension and can't think of any reason I would swap it out for the Fox stuff.

Mind sharing your settings and your riding weight for reference?

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 9:59 Quote
liamshreds24 wrote:

I don't have an opinion on the Fox stuff, and have a Diamond/Topaz on my RAF. One bit of useful feedback I've seen on this thread and the MTBR thread, is that heavier riders often have a hard time finding a good balance of plush feeling with enough mid-stroke support with the DVO suspension. I'm around 170lbs without kit, and I love my setup, but I know some riders around 195/200 have reported not being able to find a sweet spot with the DVO stuff. They spec a "Traction Tune" on their rear shocks, which is essentially a very light compression tune.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
I live in Vancouver BC, rode throughout the winter so there is mud and wet but I'm usually a fair weather rider. No pressure washing, just soap, light scrub brush and a garden hose after dirty rides. Bike is kept indoors, dried properly, etc.

I've been going through the shop to inquire about the warranty stuff but maybe I should try contacting Ibis directly. The shop told me yesterday that it seems like I got unlucky and just got a problem bike.

If the headset is covered under warranty, perfect. If not, any suggestions for durable, long lasting one?

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 10:09 Quote
Cool, thanks for the input guys. On the contrary, I actually weigh around 130 and am 5'11... lol. Thinking I will end up going with the stock Onyx fork after hearing what you had to say. Thanks again!Salute

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
bananahammocktan wrote:
I live in Vancouver BC, rode throughout the winter so there is mud and wet but I'm usually a fair weather rider. No pressure washing, just soap, light scrub brush and a garden hose after dirty rides. Bike is kept indoors, dried properly, etc.

I've been going through the shop to inquire about the warranty stuff but maybe I should try contacting Ibis directly. The shop told me yesterday that it seems like I got unlucky and just got a problem bike.

If the headset is covered under warranty, perfect. If not, any suggestions for durable, long lasting one?

I'm in North Van, so mine sees similar usage, although I'm usually on the hard tail November-January. Although it's definitely wet here, it sounds like yours gets reasonable treatment.

As for warranty, it doesn't hurt to contact Ibis. They will probably instruct you to work with the shop, but they're super helpful and responsive, and that way you could get an idea of what they'd do for you before you get potentially brushed off by the shop (I'm sure they're stupid busy).

For the hub, I'd press for warranty if it's actually munched. That way, you're likely to get a whole new wheel. The headset, you usually just need to replace the bearings. If you do, make sure you check them as mentioned above.

As for future maintenance, just make sure your headset is tight, and if it starts getting a bit grindy, you can remove the bearing shields and re-lube them. With the hub, it's probably a good idea to figure out how to pull the freehub off, so you can periodically lube it up. You can do it with the cassette still on, and it's pretty quick. That said, you shouldn't need to do it sooner than in 3 month intervals. Mine is more like 6 months.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006939
Mobile Version of Website