Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
jro46 wrote:
estinehart wrote:
I have the Onyx and Topaz and love them both. Rather than using Ibis' settings I set it up with the DVO recommended settings and haven't looked back. My cousin has the Factory 36 and a Factory DPX2 on a different bike and is always adjusting them in one way or another. Is it the shock's fault? IDK, maybe he's just a fiddler. Who knows. All I know is that I love the DVO suspension and can't think of any reason I would swap it out for the Fox stuff.

Mind sharing your settings and your riding weight for reference?

As soon as I get home I’ll get those settings for you.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 11:59 Quote
mammal wrote:
bananahammocktan wrote:
I live in Vancouver BC, rode throughout the winter so there is mud and wet but I'm usually a fair weather rider. No pressure washing, just soap, light scrub brush and a garden hose after dirty rides. Bike is kept indoors, dried properly, etc.

I've been going through the shop to inquire about the warranty stuff but maybe I should try contacting Ibis directly. The shop told me yesterday that it seems like I got unlucky and just got a problem bike.

If the headset is covered under warranty, perfect. If not, any suggestions for durable, long lasting one?

I'm in North Van, so mine sees similar usage, although I'm usually on the hard tail November-January. Although it's definitely wet here, it sounds like yours gets reasonable treatment.

As for warranty, it doesn't hurt to contact Ibis. They will probably instruct you to work with the shop, but they're super helpful and responsive, and that way you could get an idea of what they'd do for you before you get potentially brushed off by the shop (I'm sure they're stupid busy).

For the hub, I'd press for warranty if it's actually munched. That way, you're likely to get a whole new wheel. The headset, you usually just need to replace the bearings. If you do, make sure you check them as mentioned above.

As for future maintenance, just make sure your headset is tight, and if it starts getting a bit grindy, you can remove the bearing shields and re-lube them. With the hub, it's probably a good idea to figure out how to pull the freehub off, so you can periodically lube it up. You can do it with the cassette still on, and it's pretty quick. That said, you shouldn't need to do it sooner than in 3 month intervals. Mine is more like 6 months.

Okay I'll give Ibis a shout and see what they say. If the hub is done for, it would be nice to get a whole new wheel. As for the preventative maintenance, I'm usually pretty good but will definitely start being more diligent.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 21:26 Quote
liamshreds24 wrote:
Hey everyone, looking into a Ripmo AF once the 2022 models come out, I'll probably get the deore build and possibly upgrade to SLX drivetrain if I feel like it. (I have actually heard Deore 12 speed is awesome). I was looking around at where to buy them from and I found WrenchScience. I noticed that they have a few options for customization, and was thinking about whether I should replace the Onyx fork with a Fox 36 Factory grip2, as is one of the options. It's $290 extra, which does seem like a decent price. I was wondering how all of you liked the stock fork, and if you had any issues with it/how it would compare to the 36. With that said, they also had the option to replace the Topaz shock with an X2 factory. I wasn't planning on going for this because some people have told me about blowing up new X2s.
Just looking for some opinions on this plan. Thanks Smile

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure if you will be able to order fox suspension on an af anymore. Ibis released an update on their website and I think one of the things they said is that afs will now only come with dvo suspension. They also removed a bunch of other options like dropper post options, crank length, carbon vs alloy handlebars, etc.. I think their reasoning to remove the options is that they will be able to ship bikes faster if there is a smaller variety of parts needed. If I understood correctly, ibis will only ship fox on the carbon v2 models. The v2 models will also only come with fox factory, and dvo will no longer be an option on the v2. However, that being said, the changes in customization were probably due to Covid, so if you are planning on getting the 2022 model, there may be a chance that ibis changes back to what they had before (assuming the industry is normal again) making it possible for you to order fox factory. In the case that ibis does not change back to the fox upgrade for the af, you could ask the shop if they would be willing to switch out the suspension, deducting the dvo from the final price and adding on the fox, but the the upgrade would probably be more expensive than with ibis since they would make you pay retail for the new fork.

I read kind of quickly through the update so sorry if I made any mistakes and sorry if my explanation was confusing. Here is the link for the update from ibis:
https://www.ibiscycles.com/news/the-state-of-the-state

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 6:53 Quote
estinehart wrote:
jro46 wrote:
estinehart wrote:
I have the Onyx and Topaz and love them both. Rather than using Ibis' settings I set it up with the DVO recommended settings and haven't looked back. My cousin has the Factory 36 and a Factory DPX2 on a different bike and is always adjusting them in one way or another. Is it the shock's fault? IDK, maybe he's just a fiddler. Who knows. All I know is that I love the DVO suspension and can't think of any reason I would swap it out for the Fox stuff.

Mind sharing your settings and your riding weight for reference?

As soon as I get home I’ll get those settings for you.

Sadly I have lost my notebook containing my settings and my shock pump is loaned out to a friend so I can't tell you how much air I have. I can go twist knobs and let you know where they are. I am 200-205 depending on beer consumed during the week and I do recall setting the bike up to be plush AF. However, I was 185-195 as I was dieting and crushing CrossFit workouts when I set it up initially.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 11:19 Quote
Ibis recommends for the Onyx SC
75psi
OTT 8-10
HSC 4 from closed
LSC #2-4
LSR 22-30 from closed

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 13:50 Quote
Anyone here run a 35mm stem with the 780 bars? Curious as to how you are liking it if so.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 14:05 Quote
padenw24 wrote:
Anyone here run a 35mm stem with the 780 bars? Curious as to how you are liking it if so.

40mm and 770 works good for me

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 14:21 Quote
padenw24 wrote:

I'm 45mm/780mm. Stem length, at least for me, really depends on the bike fit. I'm 5'11" on a Large, so going shorter than 45 felt too close (I tried a 40). Then I tried a 50, and it felt like I was sweeping my bar around in a big diameter when I turned. It's only 5mm one way or the other, but I find it makes an enormous difference by feel, and 45 ended up being my Goldilocks length.

On my hard tail, which has a bit more room in the cockpit for me, feels perfect with a 40 (tried 35 and 45). I usually prefer the feeling of a shorter stem, but cockpit size usually plays a heavy hand in the decision. The bars on all 3 of my bikes are the same at 780 (RAF/Hard tail/DH bike). I barely ever ride my jump/pump bike, but it's got a 35 stem, so I've got a range between 35-50mm stems to try out when I'm playing around with stem fit on various bikes.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 20:56 Quote
I'm at 770mm with a 40mm stem on a large RAF. Feels good man!

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 4:19 Quote
padenw24 wrote:

35mm with 785. The bars have a 40mm rise too. That cockpit made a huge difference in my riding.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2021 at 6:24 Quote
Thanks for the feedback! I'm currently on a large at a little under 5 10' and was wondering if a 35mm stem would shorten the reach up a little without giving me difficulty weighting the front end in turns. Seems like it may be a good option.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 18:04 Quote
I’m waiting on an AF with an original delivery date of late March. Shop said they ordered a full run of them back in August. Spoke with the shop today and they said some have started to trickle in, only larges so far but they are expecting more of the order soon.

Just an update for those who are waiting and estimating delivery.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 19:16 Quote
Has anyone put a 203mm rotor on the back? Was it worth it? Is it even possible?

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 20:05 Quote
estinehart wrote:
Oh yeah definitely fits. 223mm I don't think will fit though. Worth it depends on your weight but really stronger brakes is always gonna be nicer.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 20:07 Quote
estinehart wrote:

Yup 203 is max rotor size for the rear

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014203
Mobile Version of Website