Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: May 9, 2021 at 20:21 Quote
Orosales wrote:
estinehart wrote:
Ok, part 2 of the question... I'm seeing mixed results on Google about whether or not the Deore brakes can accept metallic pads. I'd like to increase my rear brake grab by either jumping up on rotor size or switching to metallic pads or both. Is it the rotor that needs to be metallic capable or the caliper? The better I get the harder I ride the more I need that grab to save my ass...

I went with 203 ice tech rotors front and rear with Shimano H03C metal finned pads way better grab!

Which brake set do you have? Deore? Slx? Or XT?

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 20:54 Quote
Scythe024 wrote:
Can I use the finned brake pads on a deore 4 piston brakes on my Ripmo AF? I just bought some RT86 rotors I'm going to put on there and looking to upgrade the pads too. If I can't use finned ones, what do you guys recommend? The Shimano D02S? Or another brand of pad?

I'm kind of confused because you're the second person looking to upgrade from the stock deore pads to something like a metallic D02S, but to my knowledge, the stock deore pads are already metallic D02S. Am I missing something here?

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 21:00 Quote
domdb wrote:
Scythe024 wrote:
Can I use the finned brake pads on a deore 4 piston brakes on my Ripmo AF? I just bought some RT86 rotors I'm going to put on there and looking to upgrade the pads too. If I can't use finned ones, what do you guys recommend? The Shimano D02S? Or another brand of pad?

I'm kind of confused because you're the second person looking to upgrade from the stock deore pads to something like a metallic D02S, but to my knowledge, the stock deore pads are already metallic D02S. Am I missing something here?

Mine were resin

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 23:23 Quote
Shimano D02S are indeed metal while D01S are resin.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 4:02 Quote
Scythe024 wrote:
Orosales wrote:
estinehart wrote:
Ok, part 2 of the question... I'm seeing mixed results on Google about whether or not the Deore brakes can accept metallic pads. I'd like to increase my rear brake grab by either jumping up on rotor size or switching to metallic pads or both. Is it the rotor that needs to be metallic capable or the caliper? The better I get the harder I ride the more I need that grab to save my ass...

I went with 203 ice tech rotors front and rear with Shimano H03C metal finned pads way better grab!

I have the Deore brake set.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 6:37 Quote
Scythe024 wrote:
Orosales wrote:
estinehart wrote:

I have the Deore.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 7:19 Quote
Anyone looking to stock up on non-Shimano pads for their 4-piston Shimano brakes, can consider these. I've found the sintered version of these to be every bit as good Shimano pads, and they're $10 CAD. All 3 of my bikes use them, and I've hoarded enough to get through the Pandemic shortages.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/lifeline-shimano-saint-zee-trp-quadiem-slate-pads/rp-prod177629

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 7:55 Quote
mammal wrote:
Anyone looking to stock up on non-Shimano pads for their 4-piston Shimano brakes, can consider these. I've found the sintered version of these to be every bit as good Shimano pads, and they're $10 CAD. All 3 of my bikes use them, and I've hoarded enough to get through the Pandemic shortages.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/lifeline-shimano-saint-zee-trp-quadiem-slate-pads/rp-prod177629

Damn, those are even cheaper than Truckerco pads I've been running.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 5:24 Quote
I am trying to decide between a Ripmo AF or a Nukeproof Mega 2021.
But the Ripmo leaves me wondering, i am 6'6 and i am thinking that the Ripmo is a bit too short for me. I have no chance of demo'ing one because only the online retailers have some stock here.
Anyone near my size that can shed some light on it?

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 5:38 Quote
So ridden both in XL and am 6'2" but long arms. I wouldn't want the Ripmo AF any smaller and could ride it longer if available. The Nukeproof was definitely the bigger bike and I got on with it well but just too long for where I ride mainly. The only criticism of the Nukeproof is that it was hard work on steep switchbacks, to the point where I took a fair few french lines on some.

It's my opinion that at 6'6" the Ripmo would be a bit small for you.

Loved them both, prefer the Ripmo for my size

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 8:28 Quote
MWTBike wrote:
I am trying to decide between a Ripmo AF or a Nukeproof Mega 2021.
But the Ripmo leaves me wondering, i am 6'6 and i am thinking that the Ripmo is a bit too short for me. I have no chance of demo'ing one because only the online retailers have some stock here.
Anyone near my size that can shed some light on it?

I’m almost 6’4” and it’s a tight fit. When I have the money I’ll sell the frame and buy something longer.

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 2:54 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
So ridden both in XL and am 6'2" but long arms. I wouldn't want the Ripmo AF any smaller and could ride it longer if available. The Nukeproof was definitely the bigger bike and I got on with it well but just too long for where I ride mainly. The only criticism of the Nukeproof is that it was hard work on steep switchbacks, to the point where I took a fair few french lines on some.

It's my opinion that at 6'6" the Ripmo would be a bit small for you.

Loved them both, prefer the Ripmo for my size
I was afraid of that, seems like the Ripmo is off my list then.
Thanks for the help!

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 3:24 Quote
I have a Ripmo AF and found a guy that selling a float x2 out of Ripmo V1 and im thinking about it. Of course it has more tuning settings and i like that but is it way better as an air shock than the topaz t3?

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 10:07 Quote
FiLaReToS wrote:
I have a Ripmo AF and found a guy that selling a float x2 out of Ripmo V1 and im thinking about it. Of course it has more tuning settings and i like that but is it way better as an air shock than the topaz t3?

Depends on how heavy you are and what problems you are having with the topaz. The x2 isn’t a good choice if you’re 95kg(?) or more. I forget exactly but if you go to the tuning section of the ibis Ripmo af website it will show you (if not the V2 carbon bike will have it) as the x2 needs a lot of air pressure to work with the af/V2.

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 20:17 Quote
mammal wrote:
estinehart wrote:
Luckily mine do not say that. I’m not sure how to identify metallic pads though.
Metallic pads are usually a bit more shiney have little bits of metal mixed into the compound. Organic pads have more of a homogeneous looking compound. Not sure how to better describe it.

Even easier way to telling which pads you have installed without taking them out just look straight through the caliper :

Copper backing of pads : Metallic D02S

Black backing of pads : Resin D01S

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006042
Mobile Version of Website