close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 19:40 Quote
Is the damper on the DVO Oynx Ripmo AF different than the retail? I've tried both baseline tunes, Ibis one out of the box and DVO's later. It's been a long time since I tried Ibis one and now that I'm more experienced, I hope I can feel the difference a bit more. I'm not sure if riding just hasn't slowed down enough for me yet or what, but I hardly ever pay attention to what my suspension is doing while trying not to die. The baseline for both is so drastically different it's confusing me. DVO weight limit doesn't go that high, so a 200-210 rider is maxing out the OTT which seems strange. I'm about 185 and with gear 195, so I'm near max OTT with DVO recommended. With Ibis its about a 7. I guess what balanced out the two is the air pressure in it. They also have very different takes on LSC where DVO just recommends it being fully open with much slower rebound (like half of what Ibis recommends.). Maybe I should just rent the ShockWiz and just go with whatever that recommends for what I ride and be done with it.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 19:49 Quote
Scythe024 wrote:
Is the damper on the DVO Oynx Ripmo AF different than the retail? I've tried both baseline tunes, Ibis one out of the box and DVO's later. It's been a long time since I tried Ibis one and now that I'm more experienced, I hope I can feel the difference a bit more. I'm not sure if riding just hasn't slowed down enough for me yet or what, but I hardly ever pay attention to what my suspension is doing while trying not to die. The baseline for both is so drastically different it's confusing me. DVO weight limit doesn't go that high, so a 200-210 rider is maxing out the OTT which seems strange. I'm about 185 and with gear 195, so I'm near max OTT with DVO recommended. With Ibis its about a 7. I guess what balanced out the two is the air pressure in it. They also have very different takes on LSC where DVO just recommends it being fully open with much slower rebound (like half of what Ibis recommends.). Maybe I should just rent the ShockWiz and just go with whatever that recommends for what I ride and be done with it.

I called DVO a while back asking about different tunes between the Ripmo OE Diamond vs aftermarket models and they said they were tuned the same. It felt like the Ripmo one had a lighter tune but I think it was mostly due to the aftermarket one (bought used) needing to be serviced (new wiper seals and air piston)

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 4:55 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
700-pirate wrote:

I got this test frame and managed to give it a good beating this weekend. It rides steep terrain well but I can feel the flex on jumps and tight turns. I know some flex is good but this just feels uncontrolled.

Climbs well and the suspension feels good. Not a slam it still is really fun and fast.

You probably ride more aggressively than I do, but man, I don't find this bike flexy at all. Maybe my standards are low, though, haha

I too haven’t noticed any flex either but I only use this bike as a trail bike. The rear triangle is solid so it’s weird that this happens. I wonder if it’s the linkages or the way they designed the rear triangle vs the carbon one.

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 5:48 Quote
I think its maybe just the BB area. The BB shell definitely flexes. Maybe my quads lol. Former combat swimmer Razz

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 6:53 Quote
700-pirate wrote:
I think its maybe just the BB area. The BB shell definitely flexes. Maybe my quads lol. Former combat swimmer Razz

Mine has a gusset welded above the bb, it was deemed unnecessary and not included on later frames.
It's interesting that after they made this decision that's where you noticed flex.

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 8:52 Quote
Turpsicle wrote:
700-pirate wrote:

Mine has a gusset welded above the bb, it was deemed unnecessary and not included on later frames.
It's interesting that after they made this decision that's where you noticed flex.

Bingo! That could be it!

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 0:46 Quote

Watch out when using loctite on the cabelport screws. When I tried to loosen the screws the threaded rivet comes loose an spins in the frame. i had to drill out the screws and replace the rivet. I used one size bigger thead to get more support in the frame. Painfull job XD

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 5:38 Quote
Hello all. I'm wondering if on a medium frame AF if there is space for the oneup components EDC V2 tool (either threadless or threaded). Thanks!

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 17:28 Quote
Thinking about trading in my Marin alpine trail 7 for a ripmo AF with the Jade coil.

Any thoughts to help me make a decision? Cheers

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 20:34 Quote
Anybody see the new bike ibis seemed to be teasing

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 21:36 Quote
Cole Lucas EWS Bike. Looks like a normal Ripmo with special paintjob

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 6:59 Quote
RidingThommy wrote:
Yep, that's what it seems to be. Everyone else is on the regular colors, but he has custom paint. I paused it on the big screen, and don't see anything non-V2 about it.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 9:28 Quote
mammal wrote:
RidingThommy wrote:
Yep, that's what it seems to be. Everyone else is on the regular colors, but he has custom paint. I paused it on the big screen, and don't see anything non-V2 about it.

They DID have Wallner racing the V2 with a V1 paintjob to 'hide' the changes before it was released. It's probably too early for them to be testing a V3 but I wonder if they'll go full enduro and release a super Ripmo 160r/170f or the like with another degree chopped off the front... not as a replacement but as a true long travel 29 option.

I'm guessing the moped market is bigger though and think they're just leaving monies on the table by not having an e-Ripmo yet. They'd sell the crap out of that bike. If I were them I'd be dumping all my extra cash into developing that bike.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
mammal wrote:
RidingThommy wrote:

They DID have Wallner racing the V2 with a V1 paintjob to 'hide' the changes before it was released. It's probably too early for them to be testing a V3 but I wonder if they'll go full enduro and release a super Ripmo 160r/170f or the like with another degree chopped off the front... not as a replacement but as a true long travel 29 option.

I'm guessing the moped market is bigger though and think they're just leaving monies on the table by not having an e-Ripmo yet. They'd sell the crap out of that bike. If I were them I'd be dumping all my extra cash into developing that bike.

I could easily make my next bike an e-Rip AF. EASILY.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 14:28 Quote
I know it's been said before, but check those 4 upper link bolts! I lost one on a long ride and called Ibis to hopefully get it replaced. It must happen often because he had me check to see if the link was bent from being used without one of the bolts. I took a bolt out and tried to thread it in the spot where it fell out and sure enough, it did not want to thread in. Clay at Ibis is sending me a new link with bolts. Kudos to them for taking care of me but check them bolts! He mentioned using a "copious amount of 243 Loctite, maybe letting it dry slightly before threading in."

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008439
Mobile Version of Website