close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 7:42 Quote
A quick update after the first ride with the Cascade Link.

The link appears to give me a more consistent, and smash-happy leverage curve at both ends of the travel, when paired with my Topaz. I look forward to collecting more data points, making a couple tweaks to my settings, and hear other people's feedback on it (both air and coil folks). So far, it seems well worth the coin!

I wrote a bunch more words about my experience here (post #5495): https://www.mtbr.com/threads/ripmo-af-thread.1114563/page-275#post-15356744

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 at 5:41 Quote
mammal wrote:
A quick update after the first ride with the Cascade Link.

The link appears to give me a more consistent, and smash-happy leverage curve at both ends of the travel, when paired with my Topaz. I look forward to collecting more data points, making a couple tweaks to my settings, and hear other people's feedback on it (both air and coil folks). So far, it seems well worth the coin!

I wrote a bunch more words about my experience here (post #5495): https://www.mtbr.com/threads/ripmo-af-thread.1114563/page-275#post-15356744
Great info thanks, I don't *need* one but it's sure tempting!

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 4:57 Quote
Anyone else riding their AF with the topaz in trail mode when riding on non descent focused rides? I have been doing it for a while on the technical rides in my area north of Boston. The firmer platform helps with clearance of both the bb and the pedals of the twisty technical trails in my area. If I am riding trrrain where I am likely to go a lot faster I put it into open position, but find the trail (horizontal) position has served me best over the last year on the New England janky stuff I ride near home.

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 6:00 Quote
NERyder wrote:
Anyone else riding their AF with the topaz in trail mode when riding on non descent focused rides? I have been doing it for a while on the technical rides in my area north of Boston. The firmer platform helps with clearance of both the bb and the pedals of the twisty technical trails in my area. If I am riding trrrain where I am likely to go a lot faster I put it into open position, but find the trail (horizontal) position has served me best over the last year on the New England janky stuff I ride near home.
Usually just when climbing for me, but I leave it on between climb segments when I can't be bothered to flick it off.

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 8:19 Quote
NERyder wrote:

Interesting i will give that a shot. When fully locked out the topaz doesnt feel right almost like the bike is less efficient.

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 17:21 Quote
I usually run mine full open. Only time I change it is when climbing on a fire road or riding pavement to the trail.

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 6:24 Quote
Kmccann137 wrote:
NERyder wrote:

Interesting i will give that a shot. When fully locked out the topaz doesnt feel right almost like the bike is less efficient.

Yeah the fully locked out setting I think is really only useful for long fire roads. I never use it but do switch between open and trail mode

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
Hey, wondering where you all bought your Ripmo AF's from, a dealer or online? I have a dealer somewhat close to me that carries Ibis, and I also know there are a few online bike shops that sell them. Just curious if it would make a difference in how quickly I could get the bike if I bought online vs. preordered on a website, and just which option is better.

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 10:06 Quote
metro24 wrote:
Hey, wondering where you all bought your Ripmo AF's from, a dealer or online? I have a dealer somewhat close to me that carries Ibis, and I also know there are a few online bike shops that sell them. Just curious if it would make a difference in how quickly I could get the bike if I bought online vs. preordered on a website, and just which option is better.

Right now, I would buy bikes from wherever they're in stock. That's the only way to ensure you're not waiting forever. If you email Ibis, they will give you a list of top dealers in the US who may have inventory.

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 10:11 Quote
Circe wrote:
metro24 wrote:

Right now, I would buy bikes from wherever they're in stock. That's the only way to ensure you're not waiting forever. If you email Ibis, they will give you a list of top dealers in the US who may have inventory.

Gotcha. I will do that, thanks!

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 11:19 Quote

I got a heavy ish build and it climbs really well. I got my bar roll sorted and its a different bike now.

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 15:15 Quote
Circe wrote:
metro24 wrote:

Contact Charlie @ wrenchscience in Berkley,CA. Purchased a tuned up, brand new RipmoAF from them. Ordered in early Mar, Recieved in mid-May. Was lucky to score a “cancelled order” from another human. Excellent communication and customer service.

Check every online source daily and you’ll surely come across a similar lucky deal.

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 6:03 Quote
Any advice for the following?: experiencing a harsh-feeling ‘clang’ with the topaz at the tail end of fast/steep rock gardens. Sag, pressure, rebound set up more or less according to Ibis manual for a 180 lbs rider. Worth adding air to the bladder, adjusting rebound, etc? I know nothing about volume spacers but am willing to try anything if that’s the best solution. Thanks in advance.

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 7:05 Quote
tlandberg wrote:
Any advice for the following?: experiencing a harsh-feeling ‘clang’ with the topaz at the tail end of fast/steep rock gardens. Sag, pressure, rebound set up more or less according to Ibis manual for a 180 lbs rider. Worth adding air to the bladder, adjusting rebound, etc? I know nothing about volume spacers but am willing to try anything if that’s the best solution. Thanks in advance.

If you haven’t messed with volume spacers, you probably need to pull the negative chamber spacers out and put them in the positive side. Lots are doing that to add compression progression

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 7:36 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
tlandberg wrote:

If you haven’t messed with volume spacers, you probably need to pull the negative chamber spacers out and put them in the positive side. Lots are doing that to add compression progression

Thanks! Will I have to buy additional spacers or can I just move the ones already in there from the negative to the positive?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007540
Mobile Version of Website