Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 6:53 Quote
Anyone have an issue getting their rear axle back in ? I thought I had stripped it as the stupid thing WOULD NOT BITE. Shop kid made it seems easy, but honestly I've never had issues at all with getting that axle in and now it's a fight, which makes me think something has changed. I was so scared it was screwed up in the midst of bike park season I may have over reacted, though, hahahha

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 6:58 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Anyone have an issue getting their rear axle back in ? I thought I had stripped it as the stupid thing WOULD NOT BITE. Shop kid made it seems easy, but honestly I've never had issues at all with getting that axle in and now it's a fight, which makes me think something has changed. I was so scared it was screwed up in the midst of bike park season I may have over reacted, though, hahahha
Mine has always been smooth, 18 months old. Did you inspect the threads on both the frame and the axle? And see if there are any issues noticeable when you thread it in without the wheel installed?

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 7:17 Quote

Only time I've had an issue is when I didn't turn the clutch off so there was tension on the chain so it wouldn't quite sit right.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 7:25 Quote
mammal wrote:

I'm sure Ibis would say the same for those who are long-shocking or over forking with 170mm up front. None of those people would be divulging that info on a warranty claim.

No doubt, but they could argue that they were just copying what the EWS team are doing Big Grin

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 7:44 Quote
muggomagic wrote:
mammal wrote:

I'm sure Ibis would say the same for those who are long-shocking or over forking with 170mm up front. None of those people would be divulging that info on a warranty claim.

No doubt, but they could argue that they were just copying what the EWS team are doing Big Grin

Ha ha, yeah. Good luck to anyone using that logic with a warranty department.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 7:53 Quote
I go back and forth on the DVO suspension. I have spent a lot of time working with DVO trying to fine tune my settings. Everything still feels pretty harsh. For reference, I have a Topaz T3 rear and Onyx fork. Never had to many issues trying to find a smooth ride when riding fox or rockshox, but for whatever reason every ride my hands hurt from the harsh ride. I have an opportunity to pick up a new dpx2 take off for a pretty good deal. Still looking around for a decent priced fork. The dpx2 is factory with Kashima Coat. For those who have ridden a dpx2 on the ripmo AF, have you enjoyed it compared to DVO? If anyone has heard comparisons of the ride with a dpx2 I would be interested in hearing as well.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 7:55 Quote
muggomagic wrote:

Only time I've had an issue is when I didn't turn the clutch off so there was tension on the chain so it wouldn't quite sit right.

I couldn't even get it to grab onto the threads with the wheel off, that's what go me worried. Hopefully I'm just a moron.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 8:23 Quote
jro46 wrote:
I go back and forth on the DVO suspension. I have spent a lot of time working with DVO trying to fine tune my settings. Everything still feels pretty harsh. For reference, I have a Topaz T3 rear and Onyx fork. Never had to many issues trying to find a smooth ride when riding fox or rockshox, but for whatever reason every ride my hands hurt from the harsh ride. I have an opportunity to pick up a new dpx2 take off for a pretty good deal. Still looking around for a decent priced fork. The dpx2 is factory with Kashima Coat. For those who have ridden a dpx2 on the ripmo AF, have you enjoyed it compared to DVO? If anyone has heard comparisons of the ride with a dpx2 I would be interested in hearing as well.

That's too bad. Curious to hear what others say. In my experience running the Topaz on 2 different bikes I like it WAY better than the dpx2 both in small bump sensitivity and overall adjustment. But I'm over 200 pounds and in general, the dpx2 on pretty much every demo bike I've ridden, including several rides on the Ripmov1 has been negative. I just don't think it works that well at higher pressures. Anyways, there's no reason I can think of why the Topaz shouldn't feel awesome on the RAF. I'm on a Super Deluxe now and there's no noticeable performance difference between the two that I can tell.

How much do you weigh and what's your setup? (neg/pos spacers, sag, secondary air can pressure) Also what trails here in SLC are you riding most often? The rear can feel less than smooth in steep, rocky terrain when it's unweighted and trying to get back into it's travel and get over the anti-squat hump (cascade link should help here).

Can't comment on the Onyx. Have you pulled the lowers and checked the oil?

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 8:25 Quote
mammal wrote:

Ha ha, yeah. Good luck to anyone using that logic with a warranty department.

What do you mean you won't replace the clutch on my Renault Clio? Your Formula 1 team races this track regularly so that can't be the cause of my problems!

Though in all seriousness I can't really see having a warranty related issue from the cascade link. I can see breaking the aftermarket linkage or breaking something else on the bike where you could swap back to the stock link and bring it in for a warranty thing,

The risky scenario in my mind would be having a link catastrophically fail causing other damage to the frame - if it's the ibis links that break then warranty seems appropriate but if using an aftermarket link that fails then I think that's on the user. (I have no experience dealing with Ibis's warranty dept and would err on the side of caution myself)

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
Still trying to get the topaz dialed. What rebound are 180 lbs geared up riders here running? I’m currently at 4 clicks counter clockwise from fully slow, 180 psi air, 180 bladder.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
jro46 wrote:

DVO Fork Issues - Step 1: Have you given the fork a lowers service? It's all through this thread and the one on MTBR, but many of the DVO forks come without much lubrication in the lowers, and it's a pointless wild goose chase trying to hone in settings when that's the case. The small amount of bath oil they put in the lowers mixes with the slickoleum and doesn't provide enough lube down there. DVO is great for giving advice on settings and warranty service, but I don't think they are too keen on acknowledging the issues with lubrication in the lowers (DVO isn't the only company who've had this issue over the years, BTW). Very important if you haven't done that.

As for the Topaz, over the past year and a half, I don't think I've heard of them being "harsh" per say. If anything, negative comments usually come from not enough mid-stroke support or bottom out resistance (often heavier riders). Are you blowing through the travel too quickly/often on the rear? I'm 175lbs, and needed to max out volume spacers in my positive chamber to prevent bottoming, but the shock has never felt "harsh".

Info on body weight and current settings would help, so the hive mind can give suggestions on that.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 8:49 Quote
tlandberg wrote:
Still trying to get the topaz dialed. What rebound are 180 lbs geared up riders here running? I’m currently at 4 clicks counter clockwise from fully slow, 180 psi air, 180 bladder.

I think I'm only a couple clicks from fully closed (2 or 3). I'm close to your weight, 180psi main, 190 bladder, but needed 3.5 spacers in the positive chamber to prevent bottom-out (0 spacers in the negative side). I've since fitted the cascade link, so I'm down to 2 positive spacers.

The topaz comes with 1 negative spacer and 2 positive, so you could play around with that to see if it helps.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 8:56 Quote
muggomagic wrote:

I couldn't even get it to grab onto the threads with the wheel off, that's what go me worried. Hopefully I'm just a moron.

Hopefully you're NOT a moron, or you've got a bigger uphill battleWink

I'd inspect the threads carefully, male and female side to make sure they're not cross threaded. Also, when you insert the axle in the non-threaded side, does tit project the axle in a cock-eyed direction as it reaches the threaded side? It may be difficult to tell due to the clearance around the axle, but worth it to check.

Sometimes when there is some minor thread damage to the female side, you can thread the axle in from the outside, just to chase the threads into a workable condition, but at that point it might be better to get a tap, or have the shop do it.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
mammal wrote:
tlandberg wrote:

I think I'm only a couple clicks from fully closed (2 or 3). I'm close to your weight, 180psi main, 190 bladder, but needed 3.5 spacers in the positive chamber to prevent bottom-out (0 spacers in the negative side). I've since fitted the cascade link, so I'm down to 2 positive spacers.

The topaz comes with 1 negative spacer and 2 positive, so you could play around with that to see if it helps.

Nice, thanks. I’m awaiting delivery of my link. Hopefully mid August. Look forward to comparing notes!

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 9:14 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
That's too bad. Curious to hear what others say. In my experience running the Topaz on 2 different bikes I like it WAY better than the dpx2 both in small bump sensitivity and overall adjustment. But I'm over 200 pounds and in general, the dpx2 on pretty much every demo bike I've ridden, including several rides on the Ripmov1 has been negative. I just don't think it works that well at higher pressures. Anyways, there's no reason I can think of why the Topaz shouldn't feel awesome on the RAF. I'm on a Super Deluxe now and there's no noticeable performance difference between the two that I can tell.

How much do you weigh and what's your setup? (neg/pos spacers, sag, secondary air can pressure) Also what trails here in SLC are you riding most often? The rear can feel less than smooth in steep, rocky terrain when it's unweighted and trying to get back into it's travel and get over the anti-squat hump (cascade link should help here).

Can't comment on the Onyx. Have you pulled the lowers and checked the oil?

Appreciate your feedback. Riding weight varies between 185-190. Right now may settings for my topaz are: Bladder PSi=185, Air Pressure= 200 PSI, Rebound=3, Negative spacers=0, and Positive spacers =2. The type of terrain I see more of my issues are high speed steep rough sections. I get a ton of feedback on from high speed chatter and just feels like the rear end is hitting every bump and not flowing as much through as I would expect. I understand you can't get it perfect, but I also don't think it should be as rough as I have experienced. I have ridden the same trails with different suspension and don't notice it nearly as bad.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025907
Mobile Version of Website