Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
mammal wrote:
DVO Fork Issues - Step 1: Have you given the fork a lowers service? It's all through this thread and the one on MTBR, but many of the DVO forks come without much lubrication in the lowers, and it's a pointless wild goose chase trying to hone in settings when that's the case. The small amount of bath oil they put in the lowers mixes with the slickoleum and doesn't provide enough lube down there. DVO is great for giving advice on settings and warranty service, but I don't think they are too keen on acknowledging the issues with lubrication in the lowers (DVO isn't the only company who've had this issue over the years, BTW). Very important if you haven't done that.

As for the Topaz, over the past year and a half, I don't think I've heard of them being "harsh" per say. If anything, negative comments usually come from not enough mid-stroke support or bottom out resistance (often heavier riders). Are you blowing through the travel too quickly/often on the rear? I'm 175lbs, and needed to max out volume spacers in my positive chamber to prevent bottoming, but the shock has never felt "harsh".

Info on body weight and current settings would help, so the hive mind can give suggestions on that.
I have taken my bike in to have my the LBS to have them check the oil and add new oil in. Haven't had them do a full service of it. Was going to see if just adding new lower leg oil helped. I have heard similar issues across here and the MTBR threads.

I typically don't have too many issues with blowing through my travel. Thinking through things the feedback I am getting may be more related to the fork. I added my settings in another comment, but these are my current settings for the topaz:
Rider weight fully geared: 185-190
Bladder PSi=185
Air Pressure= 200 PSI
Rebound=3
Negative spacers=0
Positive spacers =2

My settings for the onyx fork:
OTT: 8
Air Pressure: 75 psi
Rebound: 10
HSC: 3
LSC: 2

I am not the best suspension expert so anything would help. I think I am more frustrated that my hands feel so much of the feedback and just hasn't been fun.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 9:28 Quote
jro46 wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:
That's too bad. Curious to hear what others say. In my experience running the Topaz on 2 different bikes I like it WAY better than the dpx2 both in small bump sensitivity and overall adjustment. But I'm over 200 pounds and in general, the dpx2 on pretty much every demo bike I've ridden, including several rides on the Ripmov1 has been negative. I just don't think it works that well at higher pressures. Anyways, there's no reason I can think of why the Topaz shouldn't feel awesome on the RAF. I'm on a Super Deluxe now and there's no noticeable performance difference between the two that I can tell.

How much do you weigh and what's your setup? (neg/pos spacers, sag, secondary air can pressure) Also what trails here in SLC are you riding most often? The rear can feel less than smooth in steep, rocky terrain when it's unweighted and trying to get back into it's travel and get over the anti-squat hump (cascade link should help here).

Can't comment on the Onyx. Have you pulled the lowers and checked the oil?

Appreciate your feedback. Riding weight varies between 185-190. Right now may settings for my topaz are: Bladder PSi=185, Air Pressure= 200 PSI, Rebound=3, Negative spacers=0, and Positive spacers =2. The type of terrain I see more of my issues are high speed steep rough sections. I get a ton of feedback on from high speed chatter and just feels like the rear end is hitting every bump and not flowing as much through as I would expect. I understand you can't get it perfect, but I also don't think it should be as rough as I have experienced. I have ridden the same trails with different suspension and don't notice it nearly as bad.

I’ve had a very similar experience with the topaz, hence pulling the trigger on the cascade link.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 9:30 Quote
jro46 wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:
That's too bad. Curious to hear what others say. In my experience running the Topaz on 2 different bikes I like it WAY better than the dpx2 both in small bump sensitivity and overall adjustment. But I'm over 200 pounds and in general, the dpx2 on pretty much every demo bike I've ridden, including several rides on the Ripmov1 has been negative. I just don't think it works that well at higher pressures. Anyways, there's no reason I can think of why the Topaz shouldn't feel awesome on the RAF. I'm on a Super Deluxe now and there's no noticeable performance difference between the two that I can tell.

How much do you weigh and what's your setup? (neg/pos spacers, sag, secondary air can pressure) Also what trails here in SLC are you riding most often? The rear can feel less than smooth in steep, rocky terrain when it's unweighted and trying to get back into it's travel and get over the anti-squat hump (cascade link should help here).

Appreciate your feedback. Riding weight varies between 185-190. Right now may settings for my topaz are: Bladder PSi=185, Air Pressure= 200 PSI, Rebound=3, Negative spacers=0, and Positive spacers =2. The type of terrain I see more of my issues are high speed steep rough sections. I get a ton of feedback on from high speed chatter and just feels like the rear end is hitting every bump and not flowing as much through as I would expect. I understand you can't get it perfect, but I also don't think it should be as rough as I have experienced. I have ridden the same trails with different suspension and don't notice it nearly as bad.

Hm. Seems like your shock setup is really close to ideal already. I was at 0 neg / 2 pos with an off the shelf Topaz w/ medium compression tune. Sag at 29-30% and bladder at 200 as I'm about 225 locked and loaded. IME bikes like the Sentinel and La Sal Peak do level the chunk better.

Not saying you should go there but you can always keep throwing money at it and try a coil and cascade link.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 9:44 Quote
tlandberg wrote:
I’ve had a very similar experience with the topaz, hence pulling the trigger on the cascade link.

Do you have the link where you bought the cascade link or did you by it from a LBS?

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 9:52 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
jro46 wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:

Hm. Seems like your shock setup is really close to ideal already. I was at 0 neg / 2 pos with an off the shelf Topaz w/ medium compression tune. Sag at 29-30% and bladder at 200 as I'm about 225 locked and loaded. IME bikes like the Sentinel and La Sal Peak do level the chunk better.

Not saying you should go there but you can always keep throwing money at it and try a coil and cascade link.

I agree those shock settings sound pretty good for your weight. I've found that coming from some other bikes, the RAF doesn't eat the high-speed chunk as well as some. The new link (directly from Cascade Components) has helped a lot in that regard, and I'm still on the Topaz.

Since you've had the fork lowers serviced, at least that's off the board. I have the diamond, so my settings don't necessarily apply, but I've found that it's really important to find the right balance between OTT and air spring pressure. I've found that if you adjust the OTT so it's almost ready to sink into it's travel by itself with no weight on the bike (but not quite), that's perfect. Too much OTT and the fork will pack down into the mid-stroke too easily, and not enough will make it harsh off the top.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 12:00 Quote
mammal wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
muggomagic wrote:

Only time I've had an issue is when I didn't turn the clutch off so there was tension on the chain so it wouldn't quite sit right.

I couldn't even get it to grab onto the threads with the wheel off, that's what go me worried. Hopefully I'm just a moron.

Hopefully you're NOT a moron, or you've got a bigger uphill battleWink

I'd inspect the threads carefully, male and female side to make sure they're not cross threaded. Also, when you insert the axle in the non-threaded side, does tit project the axle in a cock-eyed direction as it reaches the threaded side? It may be difficult to tell due to the clearance around the axle, but worth it to check.

Sometimes when there is some minor thread damage to the female side, you can thread the axle in from the outside, just to chase the threads into a workable condition, but at that point it might be better to get a tap, or have the shop do it.

Thanks for the tip!

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 20:14 Quote
mammal wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:
jro46 wrote:

I agree those shock settings sound pretty good for your weight. I've found that coming from some other bikes, the RAF doesn't eat the high-speed chunk as well as some. The new link (directly from Cascade Components) has helped a lot in that regard, and I'm still on the Topaz.

Since you've had the fork lowers serviced, at least that's off the board. I have the diamond, so my settings don't necessarily apply, but I've found that it's really important to find the right balance between OTT and air spring pressure. I've found that if you adjust the OTT so it's almost ready to sink into it's travel by itself with no weight on the bike (but not quite), that's perfect. Too much OTT and the fork will pack down into the mid-stroke too easily, and not enough will make it harsh off the top.

Yeah I agree for the longest time I had very littile ott and low pressures and got some hand pain but then i gave'er some more pressure and more ott and she is feelin' mint.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 12:00 Quote
jro46 wrote:
tlandberg wrote:

Do you have the link where you bought the cascade link or did you by it from a LBS?

Just from the cascade components website.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 17:27 Quote
mammal wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:
jro46 wrote:

Any suggestion on how much change to OTT I should try?

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 16:13 Quote
New bike question... A store close to me has a Ripmo AF 29 in stock. Fox 36" factory fork, Factory X2 shock. SLX brakes, looks like SLX shifter with deore derailleur. $4k.

It would be a bike for my son - He's 14, about 110lb (pretty tall and lanky). I know the Ripmo is well regarded bike, just wondering about the suitability of it for him.

We are based in the PNW, and do a lot of climbing to go down. We do a mix of flow, rough stuff. I know the suspension package is most likely WAY above what he needs honestly, but something to grow into?

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 0:31 Quote
mattyinthesun wrote:

We are based in the PNW, and do a lot of climbing to go down. We do a mix of flow, rough stuff. I know the suspension package is most likely WAY above what he needs honestly, but something to grow into?

It's a lot of bike relative to his current weight, but if he's into biking he'll want it over the next couple of years. If you are spinning easy stuff to go up the weight won't be a problem.

The Fox suspension combination isn't offered any more but would be considered an upgrade, they are DVO only now. For interest you can check if it has a gusset welded between the bottom/seat tube, if yes then its a first-run frame. Not a problem though.

People on here are waiting months for a pre-order, so if the size is right I would go for it!

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
Turpsicle wrote:
mattyinthesun wrote:

It's a lot of bike relative to his current weight, but if he's into biking he'll want it over the next couple of years. If you are spinning easy stuff to go up the weight won't be a problem.

The Fox suspension combination isn't offered any more but would be considered an upgrade, they are DVO only now. For interest you can check if it has a gusset welded between the bottom/seat tube, if yes then its a first-run frame. Not a problem though.

People on here are waiting months for a pre-order, so if the size is right I would go for it!

Agree. Buy the damn bike! Lucky kid.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 10:48 Quote
It's a V1 frame - so I am guessing old stock?

It might honestly be too much bike for him. From reading a few reviews it is pretty long, slack and heavy. It might be a bit much for him.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 13:08 Quote
mattyinthesun wrote:

It might honestly be too much bike for him. From reading a few reviews it is pretty long, slack and heavy. It might be a bit much for him.

The Carbon Ripmo is one of the lightest bikes in the category. Complete, it should weigh around 30lbs. That’s pretty dang light for a enduro bike. The AF is 2 lbs heavier. It weighs around what most companies carbon bikes weigh, so still very light.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 13:53 Quote
Circe wrote:
mattyinthesun wrote:

The Carbon Ripmo is one of the lightest bikes in the category. Complete, it should weigh around 30lbs. That’s pretty dang light for a enduro bike. The AF is 2 lbs heavier. It weighs around what most companies carbon bikes weigh, so still very light.

I don't want to be rude but that's starting to sound a bit fanboyish. I came from an XO yeti sb6, that was a lightweight Enduro bike. The Ibis Mojo SLR before that was even lighter.

The NX AF is around 34lbs and the SLX/deore frankenbuild won't be much below that. Sure the AF can be light, but it'll cost to get there!

I still think it is a great deal but the kid's got to jump on it and see. He is currently a very light dude.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006502
Mobile Version of Website