Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Author Message
Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
Sniff303 wrote:
What are anyone's experiences with the LS spring or the PRORATE spring on the jade X? I need to go to a 500lb spring and was wondering if anyone has used these?

I have a 475-575 and it definitely handles the big jumps A LOT better than my 500.

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 17:39 Quote
Sniff303 wrote:
What are anyone's experiences with the LS spring or the PRORATE spring on the jade X? I need to go to a 500lb spring and was wondering if anyone has used these?

You mean the 425-500# rated PR spring?
I’m on one and it’s by far better than the linear spring in terms of initial stroke support. The linear spring just wallows on climbs I feel but I was on a 400 which is the recommended spring for my weight of 160 which I found was very unsupportive and had to run more preload.

If you are considering going the Cascade link route, suggest using your current linear spring first. Cascade advised some folks on PR spring has had setup issues.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 17:39 Quote
alright guys, i was trying to adjust my ott on a new to me diamond and it was very hard to turn in either direction with no pressure when i started so i assumed that was normal. heard a few small pops and now the ott knob spins freely in either direction with no stops on either end. anyone experience this before? i removed the ott knob and the 4mm wrench on the knob is not broken but if a stick a 4mm into the fork i can spin freely in either direction.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 5:11 Quote
Ssalas wrote:
alright guys, i was trying to adjust my ott on a new to me diamond and it was very hard to turn in either direction with no pressure when i started so i assumed that was normal. heard a few small pops and now the ott knob spins freely in either direction with no stops on either end. anyone experience this before? i removed the ott knob and the 4mm wrench on the knob is not broken but if a stick a 4mm into the fork i can spin freely in either direction.

In the last 6 months mine was stiff to turn if I had air in fork. I know that you are meant to adjust with no air in, so I didnt force it and let the air out - easy to turn then. If yours wasn't easy to turn and you have forced it, I would suggest that you strip down the fork, remove air cartridge and inspect the negative spring/ott
https://tech.dvosuspension.com/setup/diamond/travel-adjust/

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 7:58 Quote
Just put on my Jade-X with the prorate spring. This thing feels so nice over the chunky stuff.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
I find the three settings of the Jade X make it one of the most low-nonsense versatile shocks I've used. Firm for fire roads, mid for flow and open for chunk. I realize other shocks can do all that, but each setting seems more distinct than I've felt on others. The knob is even easy to turn while riding! I keep asking the shop about service and they are just like 'why it's a coil' haha. I don't know why I'd got back to a regular air shock unless I had an xc bike or something, which I hope I never need again.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
I find the three settings of the Jade X make it one of the most low-nonsense versatile shocks I've used. Firm for fire roads, mid for flow and open for chunk. I realize other shocks can do all that, but each setting seems more distinct than I've felt on others. The knob is even easy to turn while riding! I keep asking the shop about service and they are just like 'why it's a coil' haha. I don't know why I'd got back to a regular air shock unless I had an xc bike or something, which I hope I never need again.

The 3 position switch is also great on the Topaz, pretty much the same thing. I love the simple actuation and noticeable difference between the two settings. Although it's true that there are less seals involved in the Jade overall, the damper/lbadder system is basically the same, and it needs the same routine service that the Topaz does. After two seasons, I've only needed to service my damper/bladder, just clean and lube everything else. Not saying you shouldn't love your coil, just pointing out the similarities between Jade/Topaz regarding service requirements.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 10:33 Quote
I’ve been following this thread a long while now. Was shopping for the Ripmo AF and ended up with a new GX/Fox Performance Ripmo V1 for $500 extra right before the pandemic closure/shutdown screwed everything up. Anyhow, since the last few posts have been a DVO appreciation run I’d like to add my 2 cents.
After a year of endless fiddling with the DPX2 I scored a takeoff Topaz in Ripmo spec. Right off the base setup guide it provided a better rear end than any trick I could play with the DPX2. Never before could I have small bump traction and pop. At 210-220lbs I had the DPX2 at near 300psi on a firm setup and 280psi for the plusher side. Either setup required full closed or 1 click from open to not create a deep compression spring board effect. This closes of the compression circuit and kills the small bump. I’ve got about 250 miles on the Topaz and it’s so much better that I haven’t felt the need to delve into the tuning yet. Hands down the best change I’ve made to the bike excluding removing the 2.6” Schwalbe tire combo.
Now I have to wonder if an Onxy would provide a similar improvement over my 36 on the front….

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 13:14 Quote
mrpfp wrote:
I’ve been following this thread a long while now. Was shopping for the Ripmo AF and ended up with a new GX/Fox Performance Ripmo V1 for $500 extra right before the pandemic closure/shutdown screwed everything up. Anyhow, since the last few posts have been a DVO appreciation run I’d like to add my 2 cents.
After a year of endless fiddling with the DPX2 I scored a takeoff Topaz in Ripmo spec. Right off the base setup guide it provided a better rear end than any trick I could play with the DPX2. Never before could I have small bump traction and pop. At 210-220lbs I had the DPX2 at near 300psi on a firm setup and 280psi for the plusher side. Either setup required full closed or 1 click from open to not create a deep compression spring board effect. This closes of the compression circuit and kills the small bump. I’ve got about 250 miles on the Topaz and it’s so much better that I haven’t felt the need to delve into the tuning yet. Hands down the best change I’ve made to the bike excluding removing the 2.6” Schwalbe tire combo.
Now I have to wonder if an Onxy would provide a similar improvement over my 36 on the front….

While my Jade X has been great, every time I take out my other bike with a lyrik ultimate I'm more impressed with the front on that bike, and it took like 3 seconds of tuning, haha.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 23:28 Quote
My topaz just started leaving oil. It’s coming from under the rebound dial. Anyone experienced this? I sent an email to DVO today about it since I am within the two year warranty. Will pass along what they say. I am thinking about unscrewingthe dial completely to see if an o ring or seal related to it and seeing if I can fix it. However I don’t want to void the wattanty. Any thoughts?

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 5:01 Quote
NERyder wrote:
My topaz just started leaving oil. It’s coming from under the rebound dial. Anyone experienced this? I sent an email to DVO today about it since I am within the two year warranty. Will pass along what they say. I am thinking about unscrewingthe dial completely to see if an o ring or seal related to it and seeing if I can fix it. However I don’t want to void the wattanty. Any thoughts?

If you go through the Topaz service guide, you might be able to ID whats leaking. Then make the call whether you want to to the repair. The guide goes through the replacement of every consumable part.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 10:00 Quote
NERyder wrote:
My topaz just started leaving oil. It’s coming from under the rebound dial. Anyone experienced this? I sent an email to DVO today about it since I am within the two year warranty. Will pass along what they say. I am thinking about unscrewingthe dial completely to see if an o ring or seal related to it and seeing if I can fix it. However I don’t want to void the wattanty. Any thoughts?

This happened to me, they warrantied it but it took a while (6 or 7 weeks?), still they also offered a full rebuild and new bladder kit for $100 on top of the warrantied fix of the issue with the rebound leak.

I got a jade x while I was waiting and now going to do some jade x vs. topaz testing

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 10:08 Quote
shaunb85 wrote:
Looking for a bit of set up advice.

Just got the Ripmo AF on the trails, absolutely awesome first ride. However still trying to dial in the Jade X rebound settings.

I am running 500lb Spring at 85kg, Bladder at 185psi. Ride a mixture of off-piste trails.

Anyone at a similar weight share a baseline rebound with setting? Just looking for a position to start tuning from.

I'm your weight, maybe a kg or two more. I tested a 550lb against the 525-650 prorate and found the prorate was better in small bumps and better lower in the stroke. I then got curious and pulled the trigger on a sprindex adjustable (490-560) progressive spring and that has been my favorite, I set it at 520 for chunky rocky sections, 540 for unknown or mixed and 560 for flow/jumps and long climbs. I'm going to sell my prorate so dm me if you're interested although for a little more $ I'd recommend you get the sprindex.

I run my rebound fully closed or maybe 2 from closed. I might try adding a few to see what I think but it's been good at/near closed so far.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 10:11 Quote
Sniff303 wrote:
What are anyone's experiences with the LS spring or the PRORATE spring on the jade X? I need to go to a 500lb spring and was wondering if anyone has used these?

See my comment above. The 550lbs that I tested was the cane creek 550lb LS (non progressive) spring.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 12:04 Quote
Anyone have a topaz they took off their AF that they are looking to sell? Or a JadeX? Basically I need a shock for the AF while I wait five weeks for my leaking topaz to get rebuilt and shipped back and forth


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007763
Mobile Version of Website