Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 16:17 Quote
NomadJax wrote:
Hey all! Long time listener, first time caller ...

Am taking a hard look at the Ibis Ripmo as my next right (likely v1). I'm 5'5 and 150lbs so I seem to fall smack dab in the middle of their sizing recommendations.

Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations on what size (S or M) would be best for me?

I appreciate a fair degree on handling on my bikes (currently riding a 27.5 Canyon Spectral sized S) but I'm looking to upgrade to something with a more efficient pedaling platform, strong climbing capability, and enough travel to be comfortable on the downs ... which the Ripmo seems to meet.

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations!

Depends on your arm length. Im 5,7” and i ride a medium with a 5’11” arm span. I probably could have sized up to a large if I wanted something more plow worthy.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 8:59 Quote
SkinnieAF wrote:
Anyone with the Cascade link for their AFs run a Jade-X with a prorate spring?

I am using your question as motivation to type out a general summary of “stuff I have learned” since going down the coil/Sprindex/Cascade rabbithole as a layperson. Parts of this will be obvious to some but news to others. Parts may be outright wrong, I look forward to the feedback/corrections from actual engineers/smart people.

Progressive Springs

Basically they are all different so one persons experience might not be super useful unless you get exactly the same setup for yourself.
There is a lot of hand waving vagueness around progressive MTB springs, Most mountain bike coils are a “dual rate” spring rather than a smoothly increasing curve. Typically the diameter of the rod is consistent and the variation in pitch gives the different rates. In motorsport it is also possible to vary the spring rate by changing the diameter of the rod, but from my poking around that does not seem to be a thing for MTB.
The unloaded effective rate of a typical progressive MTB coil is a combination of the 2 coil pitches, as the spring compresses the tighter pitched segment is eventually fully compressed and therefore inactive, leaving the “firmer” wider spaced coils to define the rate until full compression.
Testing Progressive Springs and Cleaning up Snake Oil
Delboy is correct - Progressive Springs
Every manufacturer seems to have their own recipe for when this inflection point is, they usually list 2 spring rates and if you are lucky also a % of compression that is “progressive”

Some examples (not necessarily Jade-X compatible):

MRP 350Plus 20% progression at 50% compression
https://mrpbike.com/products/enduro-progressive-coil-springs
DVO Prorate 350 14% progression at ?% compression
https://dvosuspension.com/product/prorate-spring/
Race Only Springs, 350 16% progression at 70% compression
https://www.raceonlysprings.com/product/progressive-shock-spring/
Cane Creek VALT ?% progression from 50% compression, if you believe the marketing graph and rough measuring of the photo then this one could be triple rate?
https://canecreek.com/product/coil-shock-springs-linear-progressive/
Sprindex……
https://sprindex.com/pages/overview
“Specifically designed to have a progressive spring rate for the last 20% of stroke…”
That is different, there is no rate specified and the inflection is way deeper in the travel than the others. There is also vagueness that follows with “about 80% being linear” and it is kind of buried in the bottom of the description, so that means it is time for some wildly unqualified speculation!
Basic Sprindex Functionality: A coil spring is just a torsion bar wound up on itself, Sprindex adjusts the length of the bar by driving a wedge into the final coil, without shortening the stroke of the shock = more force required to bend the shorter bar = higher spring rate
__Geek SpeculationGeek __
It seems to me this is a (possibly beneficial) side effect of the standardised adjustment widget having to fit in every variation of Sprindex in the catalog, meaning every single spring has the same tighter pitch for the last coil.
If this is true then it follows that the effective progression will vary depending on how much of this last coil is locked out by the adjuster. “Heaviest” adjustment = more linear as only the equally spaced coils are active. This also means that they can not clearly define the rate
__Geek end SpeculationGeek __

Cascade Link
This only has 1300 views as of now and it is the guy that actually designs them explaining how they help against bottom out:
TLDW bottom out is reduced by either increased compression damping or using a higher springrate to absorb the energy. The link allows the use of a higher springrate than standard, by increasing leverage at the start of wheel travel to give acceptable small bump sensitivity.

Barely any of the reviews or youtubers seem to get this, or at least they communicate it really badly by saying “running the same setup I had before” for air shocks.

Given the huge variety of progressive springs on the market I can see why Cascade would just “not recommend” them.
Maybe it would be great, maybe a certain combo would be shite.

What I am currently running
It was not until nearly the end of season when everything came together. I am mostly riding rocky, fast, lift assisted alpine trails.
Rider weight 65kg (143lbs?)
Link :Cascade
Spring: Sprindex 380-430 maxed out at 430 almost exclusively now
(Previously with standard link: DVO LS 350 linear)
The plushness is real and I pretty much don't bottom out any more, but I can see why Ibis didn't go this extreme. The bike has changed character way more than I expected, I love it for what I ride but it is definitely less “Ibisy”

Thankyou for coming to my TED Talk.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 12:44 Quote
Turpsicle wrote:
SkinnieAF wrote:
Anyone with the Cascade link for their AFs run a Jade-X with a prorate spring?

I am using your question as motivation to type out a general summary of “stuff I have learned” since going down the coil/Sprindex/Cascade rabbithole as a layperson. Parts of this will be obvious to some but news to others. Parts may be outright wrong, I look forward to the feedback/corrections from actual engineers/smart people.

Some good info there.

The cascade explanation video couldn't be played for me, so I'm not sure if this was covered, but I thought it would be helpful to add... By reducing leverage toward the bottom stroke, the cascade link allows the compression and rebound damping rate to be varied in the same proportions as the spring rate. For example, if the CL provided a spring rate that was 1.2 X greater than the stock link at the 140mm travel point, the effective compression damping would also increase by the same proportion at that travel point, and same for the effective rebound damping as the travel cycled back through the 140mm travel point. This isn't achieved by using a prorate spring alone, which only affects the spring rate, and can result in overwhelmed compression/rebound circuits at certain points of travel (most importantly the rebound, since a compressed prorate spring will be storing more energy at full travel than a stock spring).

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
mammal wrote:
...For example, if the CL provided a spring rate that was 1.2 X greater than the stock link at the 140mm travel point, the effective compression damping would also increase by the same proportion at that travel point, and same for the effective rebound damping as the travel cycled back through the 140mm travel point. This isn't achieved by using a prorate spring alone, which only affects the spring rate, and can result in overwhelmed compression/rebound circuits at certain points of travel (most importantly the rebound, since a compressed prorate spring will be storing more energy at full travel than a stock spring).
True fact! I had forgotten that gem in amongst everything else.
The video should work now BTW

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 15:26 Quote
WWJSNDO wrote:
FENDER RUBS TIRE
The 21 AF comes with the DVO Onyx SC D1 and 2.5 Maxxis Assagai Tires that rubs the DVO Fender when installed.
My dealer said this is a known problem and they won’t install the Fenders when they assemble the bike for rider safety.
Who else has this problem?

No issue here. Might get the occasional rock rubbing from the tire picking it up but otherwise works well.

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 9:47 Quote
WWJSNDO wrote:
FENDER RUBS TIRE
The 21 AF comes with the DVO Onyx SC D1 and 2.5 Maxxis Assagai Tires that rubs the DVO Fender when installed.
My dealer said this is a known problem and they won’t install the Fenders when they assemble the bike for rider safety.

Yes, the clearance is tight and you'll hear rocks pinging in there all the time. Other than occasional noise though it hasn't caused any problems and it looks pretty sleek. It is kinda small though so I might try one of the RRP proguards on there. It would be nice if someone made an aftermarket bolt on fender, but there are probably issues with clearance.

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
tuckfordouble wrote:
WWJSNDO wrote:
FENDER RUBS TIRE

Yes, the clearance is tight and you'll hear rocks pinging in there all the time. Other than occasional noise though it hasn't caused any problems and it looks pretty sleek. It is kinda small though so I might try one of the RRP proguards on there. It would be nice if someone made an aftermarket bolt on fender, but there are probably issues with clearance.

I hear rocks get in there but its been a total non-issue for me after over year. It is strangely small for an aggro fork, though.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 10:24 Quote

Interesting! I wonder if the tire clearance is any better than the DVO one. It definitely has better coverage.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 15:58 Quote
I have been doing a lot more gravity riding lately and am going to upgrade my brake rotors by moving the front 203 to the rear and getting a new front brake rotor that is 220/223. I know I will need new post mounts but any suggestions on the rotor for the front? Hope and Madura rotors are available but willing to wait for the right one. I have not had any experience with non shimano rotors, but open to trying some. Right now the brakes are SLX with the stock shimano rotors

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 16:24 Quote
Galfer rotors and pads for life. I will not buy another brand again. Best I have found by a long shot.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 17:51 Quote
Thanks fir the recommendation

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 0:03 Quote
tuckfordouble wrote:

Interesting! I wonder if the tire clearance is any better than the DVO one. It definitely has better coverage.

The newer mudhuggers are a lot better for clearance as they are raised either side of the fork crown.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 17:59 Quote
Just bought a Ripmo AF frame for my wife. Going to build it up myself from her Occam. Anyone have any tips on installing the headset (cane creek 40) cups? Just hammer and wood?

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 18:34 Quote
Kmccann137 wrote:
Just bought a Ripmo AF frame for my wife. Going to build it up myself from her Occam. Anyone have any tips on installing the headset (cane creek 40) cups? Just hammer and wood?

That's usually what I do, but a press is better if you have access to one.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006967
Mobile Version of Website