close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 8:35 Quote
mammal wrote:
Kmccann137 wrote:
Just bought a Ripmo AF frame for my wife. Going to build it up myself from her Occam. Anyone have any tips on installing the headset (cane creek 40) cups? Just hammer and wood?

That's usually what I do, but a press is better if you have access to one.

You can make your own press with a big bolt, some nuts, and some washers.

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
domdb wrote:
mammal wrote:
Kmccann137 wrote:
Just bought a Ripmo AF frame for my wife. Going to build it up myself from her Occam. Anyone have any tips on installing the headset (cane creek 40) cups? Just hammer and wood?

Considering how often I change a headset, this is always gonna be a shop's job, haha

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 11:38 Quote
What does a shop charge for a headset install?

Posted: Oct 30, 2021 at 21:18 Quote
muggomagic wrote:
IMO the settings from a bike or suspension manufacturer are just a guide. There are way too many variables for them to be anything more than that.
Your best bet is to find a trail that you can ride often and is the sort of stuff you ride regularly and then make one change at a time and keep going until you get it feeling right. It can take a while but it'll be worth it.

I've been playing with my settings for a bit, fork and shock. I found the standard DVO recs much too harsh. After quite a bit of playing around and testing different options, I ended up within a few clicks of the ibis guide on everything. There was a dvo rep at a group this weekend and I chatted with him for a while. The onyx and topaz on the Ripmo are specifically tuned to the bike, so he said the best bet is to start with those values and tweak a little at a time from there

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 10:29 Quote
My bikeyoke dropper seems to extend 90% of the way and then get stuck. I can pull it up the rest of the way, but its not ideal.

Has anyone had to buy the adapter and play with the air pressure? Curious if there's anything else I can do. I just bought the bike off someone would ride it maybe twice this summer, so it's essentially new.

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 11:05 Quote
bricew25 wrote:
My bikeyoke dropper seems to extend 90% of the way and then get stuck. I can pull it up the rest of the way, but its not ideal.

Has anyone had to buy the adapter and play with the air pressure? Curious if there's anything else I can do. I just bought the bike off someone would ride it maybe twice this summer, so it's essentially new.

I believe the bike yoke dropper should have a purge valve right near where the seat attaches. Worth purging that to see if it reolves it

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 14:54 Quote
domdb wrote:
mammal wrote:
Kmccann137 wrote:

That’s a good idea!

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
bricew25 wrote:

Try bleeding, but you likely just need to add more air. A shock pump might be able to fit in there. You have to remove the seat and seat rail holders to access the valve.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 1:39 Quote
Kmccann137 wrote:
domdb wrote:
mammal wrote:

That’s a good idea!
I've used a threaded rod with 2 bits of drilled plywood for years. You just don't get the self centring effect of a proper press so be careful not to press it in unevenly. If it starts feeling tight stop and check sooner rather than later!

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 7:17 Quote
Turpsicle wrote:
Kmccann137 wrote:
domdb wrote:

That’s a good idea!
I've used a threaded rod with 2 bits of drilled plywood for years. You just don't get the self centring effect of a proper press so be careful not to press it in unevenly. If it starts feeling tight stop and check sooner rather than later!

Same here. I found myself tapping in the with wood and hammer so far to make sure the washers and bolts would go in straight that i just end up tapping them the rest of the way.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
bricew25 wrote:

Just in case anyone else has issues. Loosening the seat clamp solved the issue. I guess the BikeYoke doesn't like to be squeezed.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
bricew25 wrote:
bricew25 wrote:

Just in case anyone else has issues. Loosening the seat clamp solved the issue. I guess the BikeYoke doesn't like to be squeezed.

That's been the case for pretty much every cartridge-based dropper I've used.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 9:30 Quote
bricew25 wrote:
bricew25 wrote:

So it was overtorqued?

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 14:11 Quote
Aside from wanting more drop, I'm pretty happy with the dumpy lil dropper that came with the deore build (KS whatever). set and forget for well over a year now. That's all I want.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 14:25 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Aside from wanting more drop, I'm pretty happy with the dumpy lil dropper that came with the deore build (KS whatever). set and forget for well over a year now. That's all I want.

My KS Rage worked great for a season and a half, till I went to a One Up 210. I had one on my hard tail, then couldn't go back to the 170 on my RAF. The guy who bought the Rage is still happily on it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006834
Mobile Version of Website