close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Nov 19, 2021 at 9:45 Quote
domdb wrote:
I know someone who ordered a ripmo last december and it is supposed to arrive in mid december. Do you think ibis will include the new onyx?

There haven't been any reports of RAF's coming with the new Onyx (just people who bought them straight from DVO). I was merely grasping at straws about what might have changed for a "2022" model, but that said, spec'ing a new model fork shouldn't make it any cheaper. I would expect DVO to continue providing the older version for OEM bikes until they run out of stock.

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 15:20 Quote
In stock at Fanatikbike.com

https://www.fanatikbike.com/products/ibis-r-ipmo-af-deore-complete-bike?variant=32367721840686

Hard to find in the Deore groupset.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 10:36 Quote
melanthius wrote:
tuckfordouble wrote:
Just noticed that Ibis now has frame protector kits for the Ripmo/Ripley AF. Comes with downtube, chainstay, seatstay and lower linkage guards. If I hadn't just put on my homemade kydex shield I'd be all over this. https://store.ibiscycles.com/collections/parts/products/alloy-frame-protection-kit

This might be old news but just as a PSA, I learned from Ibis that they just finished putting one of these in the mail for everyone who registered a warranty before the protection kits were available.

My warranty is registered from before these kits were available and I have seen nothing. Anyone gotten these? Or is this a situation where you have to contact them to get it free.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 19:51 Quote
NERyder wrote:
My warranty is registered from before these kits were available and I have seen nothing. Anyone gotten these? Or is this a situation where you have to contact them to get it free.

Sorry, I meant to update here, but only updated on the MTBR forum. I emailed them, and they said they are only supplying the kits to Ripley AF customers. Then he referred me to the product link if I wanted to buy them for my Ripmo AF. So a bit disappointing, but oh well.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 4:30 Quote
mammal wrote:
NERyder wrote:

Sorry, I meant to update here, but only updated on the MTBR forum. I emailed them, and they said they are only supplying the kits to Ripley AF customers. Then he referred me to the product link if I wanted to buy them for my Ripmo AF. So a bit disappointing, but oh well.

Thanks for the response. It is a bit of work to get installed as well. But I might end up ordering it anyway

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 0:03 Quote
Good morning all!

So Im just about to buy a second hand AF for a really good price. However, the bloke selling it has, for whatever reason, swapped the original Onyx for a Diamond D1.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for it? I know the Onyx has been set up sepcifically for the AF...

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ad

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 4:34 Quote
Did he swap it or did it come that way? Mine is a 2021 and came with a diamond. Its a good fork. Pro is its lighter than an onyx, con is that it doesn't go past 160mm.

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 5:24 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
Did he swap it or did it come that way? Mine is a 2021 and came with a diamond. Its a good fork. Pro is its lighter than an onyx, con is that it doesn't go past 160mm.

Interesting... He says he swapped, but like for like, I thought he might have been giving me some BS, but maybe not afterall.

The Diamond is pretty good fork, doesn't feel like it would be out of place on this bike.

Ad

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 6:16 Quote
madedgar wrote:
Snowrydr01 wrote:

Interesting... He says he swapped, but like for like, I thought he might have been giving me some BS, but maybe not afterall.

The Diamond is pretty good fork, doesn't feel like it would be out of place on this bike.

Ad

DVO isnt an "easy" fork to tune but once you get it set up the Diamond is a good fork. I used it for a year+ or chunky bike park and enduro races. The only reason i took it off was to go to the EWS spec 170/160 suspension setup. The diamond still lives on my trail bike at 140mm and in 2 months will be moving over to an Orbea rise. I just did a damper service on it last night and it was much easier than a fox damper service if working on it yourself is a concern.

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 6:51 Quote
[/Quote]

DVO isnt an "easy" fork to tune but once you get it set up the Diamond is a good fork. I used it for a year+ or chunky bike park and enduro races. The only reason i took it off was to go to the EWS spec 170/160 suspension setup. The diamond still lives on my trail bike at 140mm and in 2 months will be moving over to an Orbea rise. I just did a damper service on it last night and it was much easier than a fox damper service if working on it yourself is a concern.[/Quote]

Thats pretty awesome feedback, thanks man. Im not afraid of spending some time to dial it in, nor am i afraid to get my hands dirty to complete servicing duties.

Sounds like I have nothing to be concerned about really!

Cheers

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 7:36 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
madedgar wrote:
Snowrydr01 wrote:

Ad

DVO isnt an "easy" fork to tune but once you get it set up the Diamond is a good fork. I used it for a year+ or chunky bike park and enduro races. The only reason i took it off was to go to the EWS spec 170/160 suspension setup. The diamond still lives on my trail bike at 140mm and in 2 months will be moving over to an Orbea rise. I just did a damper service on it last night and it was much easier than a fox damper service if working on it yourself is a concern.

Can you give details on your 170/160 setup?

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 7:51 Quote
madedgar wrote:
Good morning all!

So Im just about to buy a second hand AF for a really good price. However, the bloke selling it has, for whatever reason, swapped the original Onyx for a Diamond D1.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for it? I know the Onyx has been set up sepcifically for the AF...

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ad

Yeah, doesn't really make sense that he would have swapped an Onyx for Diamond, but you shouldn't worry about the Diamond unless there's something wrong with it. Mine came from Ibis in early 2020 with a Diamond, and it's been a great fork for me. Still going strong, and I can do all the service myself.

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 8:19 Quote
mammal wrote:
madedgar wrote:
Good morning all!

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ad

Yeah, doesn't really make sense that he would have swapped an Onyx for Diamond, but you shouldn't worry about the Diamond unless there's something wrong with it. Mine came from Ibis in early 2020 with a Diamond, and it's been a great fork for me. Still going strong, and I can do all the service myself.

This is the thread that started it, i believe it really picked up on the second page when the mullet option didnt work well.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/hairbrained-long-travel-ripmo-af-idea.1182090/page-3

The short answer is, 170 fox 36 up front, 8.5x2.5 X2 out back with a single offset bushing. Sag set so the bike sits at almost the same point as when its 160/141 so kinematics stay the same. Rear travel is balanced with additional 10mm up travel and 10mm down travel.

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 9:15 Quote
The short answer is, 170 fox 36 up front, 8.5x2.5 X2 out back with a single offset bushing. Sag set so the bike sits at almost the same point as when its 160/141 so kinematics stay the same. Rear travel is balanced with additional 10mm up travel and 10mm down travel.[/Quote]

Are you running the cascade link or just an offset bushing? You've also probably answered this before but how does the fox stuff compare to dvo?

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 9:21 Quote
domdb wrote:
The short answer is, 170 fox 36 up front, 8.5x2.5 X2 out back with a single offset bushing. Sag set so the bike sits at almost the same point as when its 160/141 so kinematics stay the same. Rear travel is balanced with additional 10mm up travel and 10mm down travel.

Are you running the cascade link or just an offset bushing? You've also probably answered this before but how does the fox stuff compare to dvo?[/Quote]

Just the offset bushing, i was worried the cascade link would give too much travel and have interference.

the fork is 36 performance which isnt a fair comparison since its much less adjustable,

The x2 in the back is a 2019 and is pretty damn good at hugging the ground.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006722
Mobile Version of Website