Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Author Message
Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 7:58 Quote
muggomagic wrote:
Finally got round to fitting the mudhugger with the fork crown mount. Feels nice and solid when bouncing around outside the garage but haven't had a chance to test it on the trail yet. Looks to be a bit more of a gap between tyre and guard than on the cable tied mudhugger that it replaced.




Thought I’d post a quick update on this for anyone interested.

Went to a very wet BikePark Wales yesterday and the mudhugger was really effective. Very sturdy on the very rocky trails (which was my only concern really) and did a great job of keeping the spray off of me. Certainly seems to provide a bit more cover than the previous version that I had on there.

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 9:52 Quote
SkinnieAF wrote:
Grilledcheesetriple wrote:
SkinnieAF wrote:
I'm looking to to change out my cranks to 170mm or even 165mm. What did you guys change to and what BB did you use?
Why change your BB if you're just looking for shorter cranks?

I'm a noob. So I thought you'd have to change out your BB lol

To be fair you could have to, for instance if you are going from sram to shimano.

Posted: Dec 31, 2021 at 19:21 Quote
Anybody come up with a rear fender that protects the upper link?

Posted: Jan 1, 2022 at 12:34 Quote
Grilledcheesetriple wrote:
Anybody come up with a rear fender that protects the upper link?

Marsh guard style plastic fender attached to the seatstay works pretty well for me. I've only had one rock in there and things stay pretty clean. There's some minor rubbing on the link and tire, but that's unavoidable imo. I put some mastic tape on the link as well to protect the paint and keep things quiet.

Posted: Jan 3, 2022 at 11:38 Quote
Thanks that's great to know. So the fender rubs on the upper link and on the tire. Does the rubbing ok only happen at full compression of the shock or close to it ?

Posted: Jan 3, 2022 at 21:41 Quote
Grilledcheesetriple wrote:
Thanks that's great to know. So the fender rubs on the upper link and on the tire. Does the rubbing ok only happen at full compression of the shock or close to it ?

The upper link kinda presses on the fender as it goes through the travel. I could probably cut down the fender to avoid that but I wasn't that concerned. At bottom out the fender slightly hits the seat tube, but no clearance issues on the seat (running the post about 10cm out from slammed on a large AF). There might be a more elegant solution, but this was pretty cheap and easy and does a good enough job of keeping rocks and mud away from the moving parts. Also running the stock 2.5 assegais on 35mm rims and the tire rub is very minor and not noticeable while riding.

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 12:38 Quote
Is the rear triangle different sizes depending on the frame, or is it pretty universal? I'm about to get a replacement frame and wondering if I can replace my large with a medium keeping the same rear triangle? All that depends on if they let me do that.

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 15:08 Quote
Scythe024 wrote:
Is the rear triangle different sizes depending on the frame, or is it pretty universal? I'm about to get a replacement frame and wondering if I can replace my large with a medium keeping the same rear triangle? All that depends on if they let me do that.
Same size on all.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 10:01 Quote
Scythe024 wrote:
Is the rear triangle different sizes depending on the frame, or is it pretty universal? I'm about to get a replacement frame and wondering if I can replace my large with a medium keeping the same rear triangle? All that depends on if they let me do that.
A new "imperfect cosmetic" rear triangle was 30% of frame+shock RRP as crash replacement in Europe. Maybe something like that is available to you.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 23:39 Quote
Hello everone, new here as I've been riding ripmo AF for few months now. Bought it used, just barely though, but the previous owner was lighter than me so I have 400 spring which is too soft for me at about 75 kilos, online guide says I should use 450. And since I'm about to order stiffer spring I'd like to ask for an opinion, what to chose, 450 regular spring, 450 progressive (I'd say I'm pretty aggresive rider and I can hit pretty big stuff), I recon 400 progressive does not make any sense right?

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 2:29 Quote
winko wrote:
Hello everone, new here as I've been riding ripmo AF for few months now. Bought it used, just barely though, but the previous owner was lighter than me so I have 400 spring which is too soft for me at about 75 kilos, online guide says I should use 450. And since I'm about to order stiffer spring I'd like to ask for an opinion, what to chose, 450 regular spring, 450 progressive (I'd say I'm pretty aggresive rider and I can hit pretty big stuff), I recon 400 progressive does not make any sense right?

Im the same weight as you and i blew through the travel on a 450 regular spring. Went to a 450-550 progressive spring and really liked it but still found it way too easy to bottom out. Took a cascade link and 500 regular spring to sort my issues. I have recently ditched the jade shock and gone cane creek as I found the jade had amazing traction but no pop. I now also use a sprindex spring which is adjustable from 430-500 and is also progressive at the end of the stroke. If you don’t mind paying the extra cash I would recommend you going down the sprindex route.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 22:08 Quote
winko wrote:
Hello everone, new here as I've been riding ripmo AF for few months now. Bought it used, just barely though, but the previous owner was lighter than me so I have 400 spring which is too soft for me at about 75 kilos, online guide says I should use 450. And since I'm about to order stiffer spring I'd like to ask for an opinion, what to chose, 450 regular spring, 450 progressive (I'd say I'm pretty aggresive rider and I can hit pretty big stuff), I recon 400 progressive does not make any sense right?
+1 for the sprindex 430-500 first since you're buying a spring anyway.
The Cascade link is pricey and will increase pedal bob, (I use the trail mode instead of open on road climbs now) but improves descending capability and will let you run 500 comfortably

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 10:11 Quote
I picked up a medium ripmo af last week and I'm loving it so far however the ks dropper post is too short for my ideal saddle height so there's more of the seatpost exposed than I would like when the seat is dropped. Has anyone run a one up 210mm dropper on a medium ripmo? Just wondering if you can slam it most of the way to the collar? I think you can shorten it by inserting shims anyway so I don't think I need to go with a 180mm dropper.

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 10:29 Quote
davefw wrote:
I picked up a medium ripmo af last week and I'm loving it so far however the ks dropper post is too short for my ideal saddle height so there's more of the seatpost exposed than I would like when the seat is dropped. Has anyone run a one up 210mm dropper on a medium ripmo? Just wondering if you can slam it most of the way to the collar? I think you can shorten it by inserting shims anyway so I don't think I need to go with a 180mm dropper.

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripmo-af The website has a chart with maximum dropper insertion for all of the frame sizes if you scroll down. For a medium you can insert it max 210mm down the seat tube.

Oneup has a calculator to tell you what length of post you can fit based on these measurements. https://can.oneupcomponents.com/pages/oneup-dropper-post-selector-v2

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 11:16 Quote
tuckfordouble wrote:
davefw wrote:
I picked up a medium ripmo af last week and I'm loving it so far however the ks dropper post is too short for my ideal saddle height so there's more of the seatpost exposed than I would like when the seat is dropped. Has anyone run a one up 210mm dropper on a medium ripmo? Just wondering if you can slam it most of the way to the collar? I think you can shorten it by inserting shims anyway so I don't think I need to go with a 180mm dropper.

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripmo-af The website has a chart with maximum dropper insertion for all of the frame sizes if you scroll down. For a medium you can insert it max 210mm down the seat tube.

Oneup has a calculator to tell you what length of post you can fit based on these measurements. https://can.oneupcomponents.com/pages/oneup-dropper-post-selector-v2

Thank you. That's a very helpful calculator.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009549
Mobile Version of Website