Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Author Message
Posted: Mar 29, 2022 at 10:19 Quote

first ride Big Grin

front feels huge compared to my old 27.5 range

Posted: Apr 5, 2022 at 12:34 Quote
Whataboutism wrote:
Currently running the 450 lb spring on my jade x. I’m 185/190 all kitted up. I haven’t put effort into my sag settings just know that it’s deep in the % range. I was going to go the LS 500 lb spring, but am tempted to go with the progressive 525-650. Just wondering opinions if you guess that is too much of a jump. I’m sticking with Dvo springs atm. And I ride chunk and drops/jumps but only bottom out on the bigger ones and not super clank. As well as getting a Tressels pass this year. Opinions welcome. Thanks.

I am 185/190 kitten and when i run my Jade X in the winter, i run a 500. I have even run it for a bit at 550 as a test to stay more front loaded and it was fine too. I couldnt imagine running a 450 and not bottoming out constantly or shifting too much weight balance towards the rear.

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 10:08 Quote
is this normal after bouncing on it a few times?
bike only has 6 rides mostly on fire roads and blues...

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 10:43 Quote
13en wrote:
is this normal after bouncing on it a few times?
bike only has 6 rides mostly on fire roads and blues...
Do the marks remain after you wipe of the shock stanchion? If it wipes away, it's probably just some lube from inside the shock mixing with some dirt from the seal. It's normal for a new or recently freshened up air shock to shed some of the lube during compression. If the marks remain after wiping, there's something wrong. If you're worried about the shock being blown because there's lube on the stanchion, there would be a whole lot more oil there (not grease) if that were the case.

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 13:39 Quote
mammal wrote:
13en wrote:
is this normal after bouncing on it a few times?
bike only has 6 rides mostly on fire roads and blues...
Do the marks remain after you wipe of the shock stanchion? If it wipes away, it's probably just some lube from inside the shock mixing with some dirt from the seal. It's normal for a new or recently freshened up air shock to shed some of the lube during compression. If the marks remain after wiping, there's something wrong. If you're worried about the shock being blown because there's lube on the stanchion, there would be a whole lot more oil there (not grease) if that were the case.

Yeah they wipe away with a little pressure and are more of a sticky grease than an oil
I was a little worried it could be blown or something and wasn't sure if DVO stuff leaks a little commonly or what the deal is with there stuff. Still find it weird it started doing it after a few rides but we will see if it goes away...
Thanks mate

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 15:08 Quote
13en wrote:
Yeah they wipe away with a little pressure and are more of a sticky grease than an oil
I was a little worried it could be blown or something and wasn't sure if DVO stuff leaks a little commonly or what the deal is with there stuff. Still find it weird it started doing it after a few rides but we will see if it goes away...
Thanks mate

It is a bit weird that it's sticky, and that it hasn't done it since new. Usually, they do it most when new or just serviced, and then it decreases with time. And usually it's more of a slippery grease, because it's Slickoleum or comparable product.

In my experience, they show a whole lot of oil when the damper blows. I'm on my 3rd season on the Topaz, have done a damper bleed myself 3 times now without replacing the main seal, and it's still going strong. So in my opinion the seals they use are really good.

One thing you could do is remove the air can completely, and inspect the damper shaft and seal. It should be really obvious once you're in there if the seal has blown (damper fluid everywhere). Then you could make sure it's well lubed with the right grease when it goes back together, and know that it's not some weird sticky lube. It might just be too dry in there, I know the DVO forks often ship without enough splash oil in the lowers, so that could be a similar factory problem.

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 18:50 Quote
13en wrote:
mammal wrote:
13en wrote:
is this normal after bouncing on it a few times?
bike only has 6 rides mostly on fire roads and blues...
Do the marks remain after you wipe of the shock stanchion? If it wipes away, it's probably just some lube from inside the shock mixing with some dirt from the seal. It's normal for a new or recently freshened up air shock to shed some of the lube during compression. If the marks remain after wiping, there's something wrong. If you're worried about the shock being blown because there's lube on the stanchion, there would be a whole lot more oil there (not grease) if that were the case.

Yeah they wipe away with a little pressure and are more of a sticky grease than an oil
I was a little worried it could be blown or something and wasn't sure if DVO stuff leaks a little commonly or what the deal is with there stuff. Still find it weird it started doing it after a few rides but we will see if it goes away...
Thanks mate

To me that just looks like slickoleum from the wiper seal. When it's put together all of the seals are coated in slickoleum, which is pretty sticky so some will spread onto the shaft. It doesn't look like they put any oil in the air can like some other brands do.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 16:10 Quote
OK, Ripmo AF owners...tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly about your bikes. My current bike is a Fuel EX 9.7; great bike but more of a climber than a descender. My previous bike was a Remedy 27.5 with a 160mm Lyrik up front and I'm looking to get back to a more downhill-oriented bike. The trails around here are loose, rough, but not overly steep. However, I do go on trips a few times a year to the bike park and do shuttle runs.

The Ripmo AF looks like a great bike, and I'm just about to make the jump. Just wanted to check what actual owners have to say. Cheers!

This is the build I'm looking at, the coil GX build: https://www.jensonusa.com/Ibis-Ripmo-AF-GX-Coil-Bike-2021

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 16:32 Quote
benuntu wrote:
OK, Ripmo AF owners...tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly about your bikes. My current bike is a Fuel EX 9.7; great bike but more of a climber than a descender. My previous bike was a Remedy 27.5 with a 160mm Lyrik up front and I'm looking to get back to a more downhill-oriented bike. The trails around here are loose, rough, but not overly steep. However, I do go on trips a few times a year to the bike park and do shuttle runs.

The Ripmo AF looks like a great bike, and I'm just about to make the jump. Just wanted to check what actual owners have to say. Cheers!

This is the build I'm looking at, the coil GX build: https://www.jensonusa.com/Ibis-Ripmo-AF-GX-Coil-Bike-2021
Only been riding mine for a month and a bit so no long term experience like some of the guys on here but here is my two cents.
The cable routing and plug sorta things SUCK. Not a deal breaker, but an annoyance at times.
You can definitely tell the company is from Cali lol, not really designed with a lot of wet and muddy riding in mind.
Judging from the rest of this thread and mine every DVO fork seems to come with either not enough oil in the lowers or the bushings too tight so has some stiction in the initial stroke, so that is a little bit of a pain, but not that hard to do a lower service and a lot of information in here on it.
Also pedal strikes are definitely more of an issue that other bikes.

Other than that I really like the bike, works well set up for rough stuff or as a poppy trail bike that's actually fun on dirt jumps depending on how you run the suspension. Really comfortable climbing as well. Another thing that really stood out to me descending is how low slung and fast it feels in flat corners and straights. The low stand over and BB give it a feeling of being more "in" the bike than a lot of other bikes I have ridden.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 16:58 Quote
13en wrote:
benuntu wrote:
OK, Ripmo AF owners...tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly about your bikes. My current bike is a Fuel EX 9.7; great bike but more of a climber than a descender. My previous bike was a Remedy 27.5 with a 160mm Lyrik up front and I'm looking to get back to a more downhill-oriented bike. The trails around here are loose, rough, but not overly steep. However, I do go on trips a few times a year to the bike park and do shuttle runs.

The Ripmo AF looks like a great bike, and I'm just about to make the jump. Just wanted to check what actual owners have to say. Cheers!

This is the build I'm looking at, the coil GX build: https://www.jensonusa.com/Ibis-Ripmo-AF-GX-Coil-Bike-2021
Only been riding mine for a month and a bit so no long term experience like some of the guys on here but here is my two cents.
The cable routing and plug sorta things SUCK. Not a deal breaker, but an annoyance at times.
You can definitely tell the company is from Cali lol, not really designed with a lot of wet and muddy riding in mind.
Judging from the rest of this thread and mine every DVO fork seems to come with either not enough oil in the lowers or the bushings too tight so has some stiction in the initial stroke, so that is a little bit of a pain, but not that hard to do a lower service and a lot of information in here on it.
Also pedal strikes are definitely more of an issue that other bikes.

Other than that I really like the bike, works well set up for rough stuff or as a poppy trail bike that's actually fun on dirt jumps depending on how you run the suspension. Really comfortable climbing as well. Another thing that really stood out to me descending is how low slung and fast it feels in flat corners and straights. The low stand over and BB give it a feeling of being more "in" the bike than a lot of other bikes I have ridden.

Right on, thanks for the info! I'm from Cali too, with not too much in the way of rainfall unfortunately so muddy conditions is rarely an issue. Is there any fix for the cable routing issue? TBH, I've never been happy with any bike's cable routing and I usually mod it myself so it doesn't drive me crazy.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 17:31 Quote
benuntu wrote:
13en wrote:
benuntu wrote:
OK, Ripmo AF owners...tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly about your bikes. My current bike is a Fuel EX 9.7; great bike but more of a climber than a descender. My previous bike was a Remedy 27.5 with a 160mm Lyrik up front and I'm looking to get back to a more downhill-oriented bike. The trails around here are loose, rough, but not overly steep. However, I do go on trips a few times a year to the bike park and do shuttle runs.

The Ripmo AF looks like a great bike, and I'm just about to make the jump. Just wanted to check what actual owners have to say. Cheers!

This is the build I'm looking at, the coil GX build: https://www.jensonusa.com/Ibis-Ripmo-AF-GX-Coil-Bike-2021
Only been riding mine for a month and a bit so no long term experience like some of the guys on here but here is my two cents.
The cable routing and plug sorta things SUCK. Not a deal breaker, but an annoyance at times.
You can definitely tell the company is from Cali lol, not really designed with a lot of wet and muddy riding in mind.
Judging from the rest of this thread and mine every DVO fork seems to come with either not enough oil in the lowers or the bushings too tight so has some stiction in the initial stroke, so that is a little bit of a pain, but not that hard to do a lower service and a lot of information in here on it.
Also pedal strikes are definitely more of an issue that other bikes.

Other than that I really like the bike, works well set up for rough stuff or as a poppy trail bike that's actually fun on dirt jumps depending on how you run the suspension. Really comfortable climbing as well. Another thing that really stood out to me descending is how low slung and fast it feels in flat corners and straights. The low stand over and BB give it a feeling of being more "in" the bike than a lot of other bikes I have ridden.

Right on, thanks for the info! I'm from Cali too, with not too much in the way of rainfall unfortunately so muddy conditions is rarely an issue. Is there any fix for the cable routing issue? TBH, I've never been happy with any bike's cable routing and I usually mod it myself so it doesn't drive me crazy.
I haven't found or heard of any other after market plugs/ports unfortunately yet. Such a dumb design with the tiny screw under the cable and the cables coming out right under the water bottle cage. Facepalm lol And they are really hard plastic so they eat away at the cables slowly.
To stop em from rattling around so much inside the frame you can take off the little plug things and shove some extra cable inside wrapped in electrical tape. There is a good outline on like pg20ish.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 19:54 Quote
benuntu wrote:
OK, Ripmo AF owners...tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly about your bikes. My current bike is a Fuel EX 9.7; great bike but more of a climber than a descender. My previous bike was a Remedy 27.5 with a 160mm Lyrik up front and I'm looking to get back to a more downhill-oriented bike. The trails around here are loose, rough, but not overly steep. However, I do go on trips a few times a year to the bike park and do shuttle runs.

The Ripmo AF looks like a great bike, and I'm just about to make the jump. Just wanted to check what actual owners have to say. Cheers!

This is the build I'm looking at, the coil GX build: https://www.jensonusa.com/Ibis-Ripmo-AF-GX-Coil-Bike-2021

It's not the prettiest bike in the world, but definitely not 'ugly' haha. I've been very happy with it for about 2 years now. So much so I'm not even really sure what I would change to the frame for most of my riding. I do lots of park days in the summer (okanagan, dusty, nothing beyond a black tech trail) and the bike has held up really well. It can feel a bit brutish on the ups depending on your set up, but over all it climbs pretty well for a bigger bike. I've got the DVO coil and the three settings are distinct, which I appreciate. I'm just over 200lb and sometimes wonder if I could do a heavier spring on the large I have, but over all it's not a big deal. I wouldn't be scared to pull the trigger, the frame is great and the stock wheels have held up pretty well too, although the engagement kinda sucks. The DVO fork is finicky and I'm starting to think could be replaced. I have a lyrik on the other bike and it's just way more plush off the top, which my hands like. The OTT adjustment is kinda useless to me. I may get it tuned by a pro, but in the end it's not that bad. I still have a great time on the bike.

One of my major gripes is the lack of proper space for a bottle. I know you can get a little weirdo bottle etc. but I'd rather it was just more traditional in that respect. That said, most rides I can use more than a bottle of water, so it's ok.

Minor gripe, the large should have a longer dropper.

Of note: the assguy tires front and back are a bit over the top if you ask me. I run Minion 2.5sF/2.4back and it's LOTs of grip and those big ass rims plump the tires up quite wide. Actually might go to something that rolls better in the back as we have pretty long climbs here. I like Mary/Dampfs personally. Stash the assguys for park days unless you ride really serious stuff. They are really grippy, but make the climbs that much worse.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 7:12 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
One of my major gripes is the lack of proper space for a bottle. I know you can get a little weirdo bottle etc. but I'd rather it was just more traditional in that respect. That said, most rides I can use more than a bottle of water, so it's ok.

I got a bit creative with my bottle holder so I could fit a full size bottle in my size large frame. Even with the One-Up pump mount lifting the bottle holder up a wee bit, it still fits in there. I bonded a plastic strap across the base of the holder to allow an extra upper mounting hole, and allow the bottle to sit as low as possible. Full size bottle, spare tube, and 100cc pump with tools, all snug and out of the way down low.
Click pictures below to see them... Can't figure out how to display them here for some reason.

benuntu wrote:
OK, Ripmo AF owners...tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly about your bikes.

After 2 and a half years of riding it (I can see myself keeping this bike for the full 7-year warranty period):
- The bushings in the clevis get contaminated really quickly, and need routine service (around monthly for me). The bushings in the lower link are much better protected. That said, I haven't had to replace any yet.
- Geo is great for me. I'd say it's on the conservative side of progressive geo. Perfect for riding throughout the North Van, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton areas. It's stable enough in the fast and rough, but also not too long to be awkward on tight or janky stuff.
- You get used to the weight over time. I came off of Giant Trances that were a few pounds lighter than my NX RAF, that stops making much of a difference once you're used to it. It's a great climber.
- I found the stock leverage curves of the bike to be a bit lacking. Rear wheel felt like it was hanging up slightly in certain fast/rough sections, and I would bottom out the Topaz despite running over max spacers. The Cascade Link helped these things a lot, and now it pretty much behaves exactly how I want it to (plush initial stroke/great ramp-up).
- Parts have been good to me. I've replaced the Guide-T brakes (embarrassingly bad brakes) with Saints, the KS post with One-Up 210mm, and the stock stem with a 45mm. Everything else, aside from a couple new chains, is still motoring along great. Looks like I'll probably get 3 full seasons on the stock NX ring and 4 seasons on the stock NX cassette. Considering I ride this bike from Feb-Nov, that's pretty damn good.
- Lastly, but maybe my favorite part is the DVO suspension. I'm able to fully rebuild both the shock and the fork, and get all small parts from my local suspension shop. This saves me a tonne of money, and there's no hesitation to do it a bit more frequently for better/more consistent performance. It would be great to have LSC adjustment on the Topaz, and I'd prefer the Onyx to my Diamond for a bit more stiffness, but both are very good performers in my opinion. Much better than any entry level stuff from the major players.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 7:42 Quote
The bushings in the clevis get contaminated really quickly, and need routine service (around monthly for me)

How does one know it's contaminated? Do you feel it? I'll be honest, I'm rather insensitive to these kinds of things. I go back and forth with a hardtail so this bike still feels like cheating sometimes. That said, your comment about the rear wheel hanging up on rough sections I can relate to on occassion. There are times when things are really chattery I wonder if my suspension is set to firm, but it's few and far between. Over all it's pretty plush and I do like how high in the travel it sits when in 'mid' setting. Some bikes sink so far back in when seated. Mid setting is great for pedaly flowy stuff.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 7:56 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
How does one know it's contaminated? Do you feel it? I'll be honest, I'm rather insensitive to these kinds of things.

The more you inspect them, the more you notice (Lol). They have to be pretty bad to start to really feel them directly, but it does affect the performance. The contamination really starts wearing on the bushing reducers, mine have worn off most of the hard ano, and are down to bare aluminum. Ibis gives you free replacement bushings, which is pretty cool, but they don't give you the reducers. To buy reducers, you need to buy the full package that comes with the bushings (that are free anyway). So that situation is pretty silly if you ask me, and I'd advise to keep the reducers in as good condition as possible.

jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
I go back and forth with a hardtail so this bike still feels like cheating sometimes. That said, your comment about the rear wheel hanging up on rough sections I can relate to on occassion. There are times when things are really chattery I wonder if my suspension is set to firm, but it's few and far between. Over all it's pretty plush and I do like how high in the travel it sits when in 'mid' setting. Some bikes sink so far back in when seated. Mid setting is great for pedaly flowy stuff.
Yeah, I've said it many times here and on the MTBR forum, but I found it feels like the rear wheel is hanging up a bit, if I fly into something while slightly unweighted. Like if you're kind of pre-jumping into an obstacle to hit it and fly over it. I think that has something to do with the leverage curve around the sag area. The cascade link made that better, made initial stroke more plush, and most importantly, gave me the end stroke support I needed. Pedaling platform maybe reduced by around 5%, but I also find that with things a bit more active during climbing, it leads to better traction for tech climbs (wet, loose, or rough).


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010619
Mobile Version of Website