Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 8:00 Quote
Yeah I didnt even realize there was a bushing the cleavis. I have had my bike for 2.5 years and ride it hard. I never serviced anything and it runs good as far as I can tell.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 9:49 Quote
also anyone found a way to keep the OTT from moving?
Mine was at 5 and two rides later I checked it and it had wound itself all the way up to 14 lol

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 9:54 Quote
Kmccann137 wrote:
Yeah I didnt even realize there was a bushing the cleavis. I have had my bike for 2.5 years and ride it hard. I never serviced anything and it runs good as far as I can tell.

Wow, even with bearings, pivots should get an inspection at least once a year. If something seizes, it may continue to rotate, but by wearing things you don't want to wear.

Have you tried removing the shock, and seeing how well the rear linkage move by hand? I'm guessing not well.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 10:51 Quote
mammal wrote:
Kmccann137 wrote:

Wow, even with bearings, pivots should get an inspection at least once a year. If something seizes, it may continue to rotate, but by wearing things you don't want to wear.

Have you tried removing the shock, and seeing how well the rear linkage move by hand? I'm guessing not well.

Will do, off topic but what dh bike do you think mirrors the ripmo in feel? Like what would be the dh equivalent to ripmo?

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 11:08 Quote
Kmccann137 wrote:
Will do, off topic but what dh bike do you think mirrors the ripmo in feel? Like what would be the dh equivalent to ripmo?

Who knows, it's a bit of a weird question. The intended design of a DH bike is so different from a good-pedaling trail bike, there really shouldn't be a DH equivalent of a Ripmo, unless they really screwed up.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 11:09 Quote
13en wrote:
also anyone found a way to keep the OTT from moving?
Mine was at 5 and two rides later I checked it and it had wound itself all the way up to 14 lol

I had the same issue. I emailed DVO and they sent me a 3d printed cap to hold the OTT adjuster in place. Send DVO an email and they should help you out. Otherwise if you have access to a 3d printer you could print your own. I've seen some designs in the DVO threads here or on MTBR.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 11:24 Quote
Thanks for all the responses about the Ripmo. I'm close to putting the order in, but one last question: Coil or Air? Pretty set on the GX build, but have never owned a coil shock bike.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 12:39 Quote
benuntu wrote:
Thanks for all the responses about the Ripmo. I'm close to putting the order in, but one last question: Coil or Air? Pretty set on the GX build, but have never owned a coil shock bike.

I've never ridden the RAF with a coil, but have owned a crap load of air and coil bikes. Air is way easier to set up for your weight, and to change setup if you want to tweak it later down the road, while coil requires the right spring (many people end up trying/buying multiple springs, weights/progressive coil, etc.). Coil is plusher than air, but a bit heavier. They have pretty much the same damper design, and service intervals should be similar.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 12:49 Quote
benuntu wrote:

I've run air and coil (as well as stock and cascade link) on both the RAF and the v2.

Every time I go coil I come back to air as it helps on the climbs and makes the whole bike handle lighter / more agile. And if you go cascade link, it improves the dh performance anyways so you can still get gnarly with air.

That said I can ride beat up, flowy, jumpy trails faster with a coil out back whilst maintaining more control because the grip and predictability is insane.

I think I'll eventually settle into having both with full hardware as a shock swap only takes 3 minutes.

If I were you I'd start with air. I ride utah so lots of natural singletrack and medium to high speed flow trails, some shuttles in the summer and plenty of rocks when I head down south. Even riding a coil on the RAF in southern utah I was wanting an air shock to help on the ups.

If you're riding fast often through rough terrain consider a coil, otherwise start w/ air. If only the coil spec is available then just buy the damn thing!

p.s. the light Ibis tune on the Jade-x wasn't supportive enough for me on the stock link, but I'm 225#.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 13:07 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Coil looks cooler.

damn straight

RAF
photo

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 15:34 Quote
Jenson has both coil and air in stock in Medium which is perfect for me. The coil is the GX build at $4195, the air is an SLX build at $4399. Either price point works for me. The GX build has a carbon bar and Code RSC, and the SLX has an alloy bar and full SLX drivetrain and brakes. I've been running SLX/XT for years, but my Remedy has a full GX groupset and I dig that too. Never run the Code RSC but they seem to get good reviews.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 16:28 Quote
I would avoid anything Shimano for a while until they get caught up with parts availability. I can't get anything from them for a longgg time and I manage a shop and have been watching their inventory like a hawk.

O+
Posted: May 20, 2022 at 16:30 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Coil looks cooler.

damn straight

RAF
photo

Is that a Cascade link? Thoughts on it?

O+
Posted: May 20, 2022 at 17:51 Quote
If you find yourself searching for ways to make the bike descend better then the CL is worth the cost IMO.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013448
Mobile Version of Website