Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Author Message
Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 3:58 Quote
@benuntu, you can use a zip ties to measure sag and it has the added benefit of not having the possibility of damaging the shock.

It's an old trick, but it works. And I think the really cheap and terrible zip ties that can easily be snapped are probably the best for the job, as they're easy to remove when you've finished setting the sag.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 1:55 Quote
Has anybody had an issue with the rear axle coming loose? It has happened to me twice recently. I know I could put loctite on the threads but usually that is just putting a band-aid on the issue. I'm wondering if I should switch to an axle with a cam mechanism.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 2:04 Quote
davefw wrote:
Has anybody had an issue with the rear axle coming loose? It has happened to me twice recently. I know I could put loctite on the threads but usually that is just putting a band-aid on the issue. I'm wondering if I should switch to an axle with a cam mechanism.

Did you just post this on FB too...? There's no torque spec, so maybe you don't tighten it enough? What grease are you using? Loctite is something you want to avoid, if you want to loosen it on the trailside.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 3:03 Quote
Scout290 wrote:
davefw wrote:
Has anybody had an issue with the rear axle coming loose? It has happened to me twice recently. I know I could put loctite on the threads but usually that is just putting a band-aid on the issue. I'm wondering if I should switch to an axle with a cam mechanism.

Did you just post this on FB too...? There's no torque spec, so maybe you don't tighten it enough? What grease are you using? Loctite is something you want to avoid, if you want to loosen it on the trailside.

Yeah, I think it was tight enough. I will probably replace the axle with a maxle. I reckon a cam mechanism would be more secure.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 4:06 Quote
davefw wrote:
Scout290 wrote:
davefw wrote:
Has anybody had an issue with the rear axle coming loose? It has happened to me twice recently. I know I could put loctite on the threads but usually that is just putting a band-aid on the issue. I'm wondering if I should switch to an axle with a cam mechanism.

Did you just post this on FB too...? There's no torque spec, so maybe you don't tighten it enough? What grease are you using? Loctite is something you want to avoid, if you want to loosen it on the trailside.

Yeah, I think it was tight enough. I will probably replace the axle with a maxle. I reckon a cam mechanism would be more secure.

Just make sure the pitch (I believe it's called) and thread match with the current axle. I believe Ibis uses a Shimano axle?

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 4:30 Quote
Scout290 wrote:

Just make sure the pitch (I believe it's called) and thread match with the current axle. I believe Ibis uses a Shimano axle?

Oh that's a good point, thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 9:18 Quote
@davefw may be worth checking out if burgtec has a thru axle/maxle that is compatible.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 9:40 Quote
davefw wrote:
Scout290 wrote:

Just make sure the pitch (I believe it's called) and thread match with the current axle. I believe Ibis uses a Shimano axle?

Oh that's a good point, thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

Thread pitch is 1.5 for the rear axel.

Have you tried just cleaning the axel and greasing it? There should also be a thin plastic washer that sits between the axel head and where it contacts your frame. I don’t see how the washer would change anything, but I certainly don’t loctite my axel and it has never tried to loosen up.

Maybe email Ibis, they are responsive and have probably heard of the issue before.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 18:24 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
davefw wrote:
Scout290 wrote:

Just make sure the pitch (I believe it's called) and thread match with the current axle. I believe Ibis uses a Shimano axle?

Oh that's a good point, thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

Thread pitch is 1.5 for the rear axel.

Have you tried just cleaning the axel and greasing it? There should also be a thin plastic washer that sits between the axel head and where it contacts your frame. I don’t see how the washer would change anything, but I certainly don’t loctite my axel and it has never tried to loosen up.

Maybe email Ibis, they are responsive and have probably heard of the issue before.

I had the same problem; washed the axle, greased it, and really cranked on it with my multitool when I installed it. Stopped happening.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 4:40 Quote
Built my AF large at 28.9 lbs..this bike is a ripper!! Xx1 Drivetrain,Shimano XTR brakes,Derby hoopes with 240 hubs and sipim cxray spokes, bikeyoke stem with OneUp bar and dropper..xr4 2.6 front tire and 2.4 rear tire. Fox 36 at 140mm.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 15:18 Quote
dgw7000 wrote:
Built my AF large at 28.9 lbs..this bike is a ripper!! Xx1 Drivetrain,Shimano XTR brakes,Derby hoopes with 240 hubs and sipim cxray spokes, bikeyoke stem with OneUp bar and dropper..xr4 2.6 front tire and 2.4 rear tire. Fox 36 at 140mm.

140 mm fork on a Ripmo?

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 17:06 Quote
radicalpugilism wrote:
dgw7000 wrote:
Built my AF large at 28.9 lbs..this bike is a ripper!! Xx1 Drivetrain,Shimano XTR brakes,Derby hoopes with 240 hubs and sipim cxray spokes, bikeyoke stem with OneUp bar and dropper..xr4 2.6 front tire and 2.4 rear tire. Fox 36 at 140mm.

140 mm fork on a Ripmo?

Probably a ripley af since those are 130mm and he just overforked it. 28.9 lbs would be impressive for a large ripmo af too

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 18:36 Quote
domdb wrote:
radicalpugilism wrote:
dgw7000 wrote:
Built my AF large at 28.9 lbs..this bike is a ripper!! Xx1 Drivetrain,Shimano XTR brakes,Derby hoopes with 240 hubs and sipim cxray spokes, bikeyoke stem with OneUp bar and dropper..xr4 2.6 front tire and 2.4 rear tire. Fox 36 at 140mm.

140 mm fork on a Ripmo?

Probably a ripley af since those are 130mm and he just overforked it. 28.9 lbs would be impressive for a large ripmo af too

I was thinking it was a Ripley AF as well.

28.9 for a Ripley AF would still be impressive!

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 11:40 Quote
Looking for more ramp up and support from my topaz, thinking i am going to move the negative band to the positive side?

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 11:46 Quote
13en wrote:
Looking for more ramp up and support from my topaz, thinking i am going to more the negative band to the positive side?
That will help.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008153
Mobile Version of Website