Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 12:44 Quote
edited
anyone else break what i assume is a bump stop?

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 13:00 Quote
13en wrote:
Well it seems i was given no volume spacers in my shock so that probably why it has always felt very linear and crappy.
also this bump stop?

Is that a DVO fork? I believe they use oil instead of volume spacers.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 13:17 Quote
That's the Damper Seal Head and shaft on the Topaz, and it looks like the bottom-out O-ring, like he mentioned. Mine hasn't given way in almost 3 seasons of riding, but it doesn't surprise me that a few good bottom-outs would blow that little guy.

The original post didn't show the script about volume spacers (only the quoted reply below showed that), so I'm assuming he edited it after he figured out that the volume spacers go in the air chamber, not the damper area.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 13:20 Quote
Realized I was looking in the wrong spot for the volume spacers (different that other shocks i have had) and they are there lol.

Too bad about the o-ring, hopefully i can get a new one and with spacers moved around am not bottoming out continually.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 13:26 Quote
13en wrote:
Realized I was looking in the wrong spot for the volume spacers (different that other shocks i have had) and they are there lol.

Too bad about the o-ring, hopefully i can get a new one and with spacers moved around am not bottoming out continually.

The shock will need to come apart to replace that oring. I believe it's step 28 in the service guide.
https://tech.dvosuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/topaz_fullservicev2.pdf

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 11:37 Quote
Was their an oil leak, weird sounds, or something else off about the shock before you opened it up and realized the o-ring was broken? I've had some pretty harsh bottom outs recently and my shock has always made a small clicking sound when compressing at the sag point, and it's probably time I service the shock anyway, but I'm just wondering if there's anything I can look out for if this happens to me.

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 7:55 Quote
If you can find out or know the size of the o rings you could find others in a more suitable hard-wearing compound.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 13:05 Quote
Team,

I just put one of these on my bike and after one bike I'm sold: https://dvosuspension.com/product/prorate-spring/

I went up from 500 to a 525/625 spring and really like the way it feels. The bike was feeling weak on harsh landings etc. and now it feels so much more supportive, but not harsh. Placebo or legit upgrade I don't really care, I like the bike better now especially at the park. Worried it might kick my rear end up a bit more with the heavier latter half of the travel, but it's not the case. If you feel the need to get a heavier coil I'd recommend the these progressive options.

Posted: Jul 18, 2022 at 17:14 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Team,

I just put one of these on my bike and after one bike I'm sold: https://dvosuspension.com/product/prorate-spring/

I went up from 500 to a 525/625 spring and really like the way it feels. The bike was feeling weak on harsh landings etc. and now it feels so much more supportive, but not harsh. Placebo or legit upgrade I don't really care, I like the bike better now especially at the park. Worried it might kick my rear end up a bit more with the heavier latter half of the travel, but it's not the case. If you feel the need to get a heavier coil I'd recommend the these progressive options.

Are you also running the cascade link?

Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 8:35 Quote
Kmccann137 wrote:
Team,

No, just the stock one. I think this bike will also climb better with more support too, especially in the mid-setting. heavier spring might have achieved most of it, but definitely feels a lot better on drops etc.

I also broke my chain the other day and did a lap at the park chain free and oh man, it's so nice riding a silent bike.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 5:48 Quote
Kmccann137 wrote:
Team,

No, just the stock one. I think this bike will also climb better with more support too, especially in the mid-setting. heavier spring might have achieved most of it, but definitely feels a lot better on drops etc.

I also broke my chain the other day and did a lap at the park chain free and oh man, it's so nice riding a silent bike.

I have been riding my ebike more as the Ripmo gets set for park duty in the summer. Last time i road the AF i didnt remember how loud and clangy the rear was and was stopping constantly because it felt like the rear was about to fall off but it was just the freehub clanging and giving me kickback. I always think back to the first reviews of the bike that called it "agricultural" and its the best word for the bike.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 7:40 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
Kmccann137 wrote:

I have been riding my ebike more as the Ripmo gets set for park duty in the summer. Last time i road the AF i didnt remember how loud and clangy the rear was and was stopping constantly because it felt like the rear was about to fall off but it was just the freehub clanging and giving me kickback. I always think back to the first reviews of the bike that called it "agricultural" and its the best word for the bike.

It's got an extremely utilitarian vibe to it, although I don't find it rides that way.

I really wish they'd make a double AF (170/160) or at least just approve 170mm front fork usage. I know people do it, but I really dont' wanna go off a drop and find out the hard way why they won't. Just a little slacker and little squishier is all I need for the trails I ride at the park.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 7:44 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:

It's got an extremely utilitarian vibe to it, although I don't find it rides that way.

I really wish they'd make a double AF (170/160) or at least just approve 170mm front fork usage. I know people do it, but I really dont' wanna go off a drop and find out the hard way why they won't. Just a little slacker and little squishier is all I need for the trails I ride at the park.

Mine is at 170/170 from the MTBR thread, been that way for 2 years of park riding with a lot or trail miles with a few races. No problem here. I know a guy who had his V1 carbon at 170 for years. In the winter i drop it back to stock travel so i can use the coil and not have deal with psi changes with temps. I dont like the stock rear travel with the front at 170, it felt like it would push more and id have to be way more over the bars. At 170/170 the balance stays the same just with a bit higher BB

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 7:55 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
Snowrydr01 wrote:

Mine is at 170/170 from the MTBR thread, been that way for 2 years of park riding with a lot or trail miles with a few races. No problem here. I know a guy who had his V1 carbon at 170 for years. In the winter i drop it back to stock travel so i can use the coil and not have deal with psi changes with temps. I dont like the stock rear travel with the front at 170, it felt like it would push more and id have to be way more over the bars. At 170/170 the balance stays the same just with a bit higher BB

Why is ibis so against it? They seem to be ok with angle sets, so not sure why a extra 10mm of travel (less sagged) gets a hard no.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012056
Mobile Version of Website