Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 8:04 Quote
Im not as tapped into all of the forums so i havent seen anything from them but they have an enduro team running 170/170. My guess is that all their testing was done at the stock numbers and because of that they have to have a hard line that says the bike was only certified at that criteria. To be fair thats how most other companies work too.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 8:27 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
Im not as tapped into all of the forums so i havent seen anything from them but they have an enduro team running 170/170. My guess is that all their testing was done at the stock numbers and because of that they have to have a hard line that says the bike was only certified at that criteria. To be fair thats how most other companies work too.
Exactly this.

Regarding angle sets, I'd be surprised if Ibis authorized that for the RAF. They do apparently authorize 170 forks on the carbon V2, but not for the RAF, so I'd assume it would be the same for angle sets (I could be wrong). That said, I don't really care, they don't authorize a Cascade link (I'm running that) and I've also got a 170 Onyx going on there in about a month. If warranty is needed, I'll just put it back to stock.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 8:57 Quote
Yeah no reason structurally imo to not run 170 up front if that’s your jam.

Also @snowryder my AF was silent so you can get there with proper chainstay protection and cable routing creativity.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 12:03 Quote
WasatchEnduro wrote:

Also @snowryder my AF was silent so you can get there with proper chainstay protection and cable routing creativity.

Some times its good, but it eventually deteriorates into a box of rocks. I pull the access covers for the cabling, wrap the cables in electrical tape then put the covers on, it forces the cables in tighter into the frame so they are less likely to bang around in the frame. Ever since going to an ebike (decoupled cranks so no kickback ever) the rear end feels and sounds like crap. i hear the factory cassette banging into the hub paws, but if i put a better wheel in, then i just get more kick back. If i up shift to a higher gear so there is less kickback, now the rear mech has less tension and want to flop around. I just did a full rebuild on the rear mech and clutch assembly and it helped a bit but is still annoying to hear and feel. It was so bad at my last bike park trip i thought maybe the shock was blown, i pulled my X2 and swapped it with my Jade X and it still felt terrible. To be fair i have never gotten along with the rear end of the AF through 3 shocks and 2 years of ownership for descending. Every choice is a compromise and at the time i was trying to only have one bike but now i wish i had something that didnt prioritize pedaling anti squat over downhill tracking. My Transition Smuggler only has 120mm outback and is infinitely more plush than the ripmo.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 13:07 Quote
Anyone out there in the 5-9/5-10 range pedaling the medium? Too small, too big, just right. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Mike

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 1:37 Quote
Snowrydr01 wrote:
WasatchEnduro wrote:

Some times its good, but it eventually deteriorates into a box of rocks. I pull the access covers for the cabling, wrap the cables in electrical tape then put the covers on, it forces the cables in tighter into the frame so they are less likely to bang around in the frame. Ever since going to an ebike (decoupled cranks so no kickback ever) the rear end feels and sounds like crap. i hear the factory cassette banging into the hub paws, but if i put a better wheel in, then i just get more kick back. If i up shift to a higher gear so there is less kickback, now the rear mech has less tension and want to flop around. I just did a full rebuild on the rear mech and clutch assembly and it helped a bit but is still annoying to hear and feel. It was so bad at my last bike park trip i thought maybe the shock was blown, i pulled my X2 and swapped it with my Jade X and it still felt terrible. To be fair i have never gotten along with the rear end of the AF through 3 shocks and 2 years of ownership for descending. Every choice is a compromise and at the time i was trying to only have one bike but now i wish i had something that didnt prioritize pedaling anti squat over downhill tracking. My Transition Smuggler only has 120mm outback and is infinitely more plush than the ripmo.

V1 Sentinel here. Going to demo a Ripmo af from a friend next saturday, really excited to try something diferent. I’m after a more versatile/ playful bike and I like the Ripmo on paper, and my wallet likes the af version, general comments are great except for the overall weight. Your comment is surprising, don’t get me wrong, I think the Smuggler is a great bike, my surprise is your disappointment on the Af on descents. Really that bad? In my case, I would never use coil cause I climb a lot

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 8:01 Quote
I'm pretty into my new progressive coil. The bike feels way better supported on bigger hits etc but I don't feel it's made the more harsh. Just feels far less like it's gonna break at the bike park hahaha. I like having a coil for the set-and-forgetness of it and seeming lack of maintenance.

Overall I've been very happy with the bike. I don't find it especially quick on the ups as it's 35+ pounds and Minions are not fast rollers, but for all around riding the bike is a great fit and really fun. This winter I'm hoping to put on my other lighter wheels and run faster tires, and then turn my hardtail into something like a Commencal Meta for more aggro trails and park.

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 8:59 Quote
MCskid wrote:
Anyone out there in the 5-9/5-10 range pedaling the medium? Too small, too big, just right. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Mike

I'm 5'11 and find the Large is perfect, although sometimes I feel like I could probably get along with an XL if I wanted a longer fit. Based on this, I'd assume a medium may be on the small side for you. If you are really used to old school bikes that tend to have a more crammed cockpit (and you like it that way), maybe the medium would work. If I were you, I'd go Large, you can always run a super short stem (I've go a 45mm on mine for cockpit fit).

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 9:01 Quote
13en wrote:

If you remove your air can, you may be able to carefully pop that wiper back in place (after thoroughly cleaning everything). Worth a try, it's not really a critical seal, it doesn't hold any damper fluid or air pressure in.

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 9:03 Quote
Pyres wrote:
V1 Sentinel here. Going to demo a Ripmo af from a friend next saturday, really excited to try something diferent. I’m after a more versatile/ playful bike and I like the Ripmo on paper, and my wallet likes the af version, general comments are great except for the overall weight. Your comment is surprising, don’t get me wrong, I think the Smuggler is a great bike, my surprise is your disappointment on the Af on descents. Really that bad? In my case, I would never use coil cause I climb a lot

I found that for my RAF with Topaz, the Cascade link really brought it to life on the descents. A little more active in the first part of travel, and way better support near the end. Always something to consider, if you really like the climbing prowess of the RAF, but find it a bit lacking on the descents like I did.

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 9:37 Quote
mammal wrote:
13en wrote:

If you remove your air can, you may be able to carefully pop that wiper back in place (after thoroughly cleaning everything). Worth a try, it's not really a critical seal, it doesn't hold any damper fluid or air pressure in.
yea i popped it back in by taking apart the air can, still sent it in for warranty because the shock leaks quite a bit of air as well and there was absolutely no reason that should have come out after i just sat on it lol.

It definitely does hold air in, all my air leaked out and I had to ride it out just above bottom out

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 10:07 Quote
mammal wrote:
MCskid wrote:
Thanks, Mike

I'm 5'11 and find the Large is perfect, although sometimes I feel like I could probably get along with an XL if I wanted a longer fit. Based on this, I'd assume a medium may be on the small side for you. If you are really used to old school bikes that tend to have a more crammed cockpit (and you like it that way), maybe the medium would work. If I were you, I'd go Large, you can always run a super short stem (I've go a 45mm on mine for cockpit fit).

I'm 5-9 on a medium and I run an extremely short stem and slam the saddle forward. Love the reach and wheelbase on modern bikes but the extended cockpit lengths mess up my shoulders. I'd say compare the "effective top tube" measurement to a bike you feel comfortable pedaling on and the reach to a bike you feel comfortable descending on to figure out what will be a good fit.

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 10:29 Quote
melanthius wrote:
mammal wrote:
MCskid wrote:
Thanks, Mike

I'm 5-9 on a medium and I run an extremely short stem and slam the saddle forward. Love the reach and wheelbase on modern bikes but the extended cockpit lengths mess up my shoulders. I'd say compare the "effective top tube" measurement to a bike you feel comfortable pedaling on and the reach to a bike you feel comfortable descending on to figure out what will be a good fit.

Yep, horses for courses, everyone's different. If people are coming off of older bikes, it can be hard to translate old/new geo numbers, especially if they aren't super in-touch with how different geo factors affect the "feel". If I were an inch or two shorter, my large would still feel great, but that's not going to be the case for everyone. I have a pretty average ape index, and people with short arms may not agree with me.

Posted: Jul 22, 2022 at 10:33 Quote
mammal wrote:
Pyres wrote:

I found that for my RAF with Topaz, the Cascade link really brought it to life on the descents. A little more active in the first part of travel, and way better support near the end. Always something to consider, if you really like the climbing prowess of the RAF, but find it a bit lacking on the descents like I did.

Ditto that. I preferred the overall suspension feel of my RAF with cascade link and super deluxe over my sentinel with cascade link and super deluxe. (same with a coil, liked it better on the ripmo)

Yeah it's interesting how mileage varies by rider. My sentinel was carbon and a size smaller than the RAF so it was about 1.75 lbs lighter and a hair shorter in the wheelbase, despite being slacker. Sentinel is an awesome bike but I never got the rear end to feel as good as the ripmo across a wide range of terrain.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008778
Mobile Version of Website