Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 17:48 Quote
matt-c wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted already (there's quite a few pages, hard to keep up...), has anyone used the Cascade link with the Topaz and had positive results? I like the air for a lot of applications but it does leave me wanting a bit more at times.

Yep, I find it way better. I needed way too many spacers in the Topaz to keep from bottoming, and now can run only one (far more composed). Also increases leverage at beginning stroke so it feels a bit more supple off the top.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 15:33 Quote
matt-c wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted already (there's quite a few pages, hard to keep up...), has anyone used the Cascade link with the Topaz and had positive results? I like the air for a lot of applications but it does leave me wanting a bit more at times.

I'm running this setup and it feels pretty great. I didn't ride the stock link that much so I can't compare in great detail but the one area I could definitely see change in is bottom out resistance, which is expected. I was running max volume reducers and a lot of pressure for my weight on the stock link but still bottoming out very often, and now that problem has been solved. From what I've read, most people would agree it does exactly what it's marketed to do which is improve sensitivity and bottom out resistance. I think cascade components was also explaining how changing the leverage curve and ratio is better for damping and rebound as opposed to just stuffing the shock with too much pressure for your weight since the link changes the whole stroke of the shock whereas too much pressure overwhelms the shock at bottom out or something like that. If you're interested more about that I would check out cc's comments in this thread and some of their videos since I'm definitely not an expert.

If you are going to install the link however, be careful when screwing in the link bolts as some people including me have almost stripped their frames since the holes aren't always perfectly aligned.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 15:28 Quote
So I was in the LBS and one of the mechs had an email from Ibis sayin a 170 fork should be fine and won't void the warranty.

Im doin it!

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 19:03 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
So I was in the LBS and one of the mechs had an email from Ibis sayin a 170 fork should be fine and won't void the warranty.

Im doin it!

The Onyx I bought a little while ago, I just finished the full service and set it up 170. Going on tomorrow for a shake down ride.

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 7:58 Quote
mammal wrote:

Im doin it!

The Onyx I bought a little while ago, I just finished the full service and set it up 170. Going on tomorrow for a shake down ride.

I expect a full report!

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 9:24 Quote
I expect a full report!

Especially since the Onyx just had the bushings honed at SWWink

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 16:48 Quote
mammal wrote:
I expect a full report!

Especially since the Onyx just had the bushings honed at SWWink

Well it feels pretty buttery smooth, that's for sure! Just a couple lower Fromme laps for a quick shake down, so still tweaking pressure and compression a bit. Set it at 6 OTT and it doesn't feel like it needs more at 70psi. It was sticky before the honing and full rebuild, but it seems pretty sweet now. Helps to be so familiar with the diamond, set up is very similar. Big day in Squamish tomorrow so we'll see how she goes.

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 7:37 Quote
I noticed on the Ibis sight that the Ripmo AF now comes with a Marzocchi Bomber Z1 fork? Anyone know why they changed from the DVO?

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 7:58 Quote
Probably availability. Fox and RockShox are using 90% capacity of the primary stanchion supplier, smaller suspension companies are having a hard time producing still.

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 7:58 Quote
notice how many "special edition" ohlins bikes have been released in the last year?

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 19:22 Quote

Im doin it!

Did it myself two weeks ago. No regerts.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 8:47 Quote
Slowpoke502 wrote:

Im doin it!

way it was meant to be I think.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 9:42 Quote
Slowpoke502 wrote:

Im doin it!

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I do think the bike feels more "balanced" with 160/147, but it really depends on what/how you're riding. I think for less aggressive riders/terrain, there would be a benefit from the sharper steering and reduced dive with the fork in 160 mode.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 11:57 Quote
mammal wrote:
Slowpoke502 wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I do think the bike feels more "balanced" with 160/147, but it really depends on what/how you're riding. I think for less aggressive riders/terrain, there would be a benefit from the sharper steering and reduced dive with the fork in 160 mode.

I get that. But I can't help but think if anyone wanted a burly/heavy alu enduro-y bike they'd probably skew 170 anyway. If I wanted something for more chill terrain I'd go ripley AF. I really want them to release a 170/160 rimpo All The Fs, cause I'd be all over that. 10mm won't kill the pedalling, but would definitely take the edge off the downs & drops.

I may totally disagree with myself once I get mine back set to 170 next month, haha

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 23:23 Quote
The Ripmo is clearly on the AM side. That's why so many people love it: it's a very versatile bike. I'm not sure it would keep these abilities on the uphill with more travel, but i might be wrong.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007812
Mobile Version of Website