Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 12:39 Quote
mammal wrote:
Well, my RAF is almost 3 years old now. So I treated it to a 8.5x2.5 Jade to try out long travel mode. Looking forward to the first shake-down ride after work today.

Ripmo AF with 8.5x2.5 Jade for longer travel 170 168mm . 2mm offset bushing for clearance and retaining geo.

Interested to hear how this rides.

So you’ve gone for the ~5mm longer shock, what bushings / mount kit have you gone for? Offset both ends or just one?

Fork wise, just boosted yours up to 170mm?

This mod is certainly one I’d consider.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 13:00 Quote
yetiboyjay wrote:
Interested to hear how this rides.

So you’ve gone for the ~5mm longer shock, what bushings / mount kit have you gone for? Offset both ends or just one?

Fork wise, just boosted yours up to 170mm?

This mod is certainly one I’d consider.

I'm interested too, looking forward to trying it.

Sorry - Not Sorry, but you should check out this forum thread if you're keen. Probably more info than I can provide:
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/hairbrained-long-travel-ripmo-af-idea.1182090/page-9#post-15837347

As others on that forum have done, I installed a 2mm offset bushing in the rear eyelet to help with clearance and retain mostly stock geo. The only issue on that forum is that someone said they installed this setup with a Cascade Link installed, and I've confirmed you can't do that, at least on a size large frame.

Edit: forgot to add... Yeah, I swapped out the stock Diamond for the Onyx in August, and just ran it in 170 mode off the bat. I was already rebuilding it after buying it barely used, so it was an easy air spring spacer adjustment.

Cheers!

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 14:05 Quote
Mine is getting new wheels. I had to rebuild my stock rear wheel after a season in the park. Rim held up ok, but spokes were shot. Second season didn't help. So I was gonna do another rear wheel, but ended up ordering the send 1 and 2 rims and found some TOR hubs online which have the specs I'm after and were I9 or CK expensive. I'll run those for normal riding then use the old stock wheels with big inserts, which should be enough for me. Hate having to swap out tires and inserts for a pedally ride and no pedalling with assgais and dh inserts - I'm fat enough.

Oh and my new 38 is going on there too!

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 15:43 Quote
Mine got carbon wheels and still going strong after three years. Really wanted a carbon frame but hard to justify when my RAF rides so good.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 16:04 Quote
Kmccann137 wrote:
Mine got carbon wheels and still going strong after three years. Really wanted a carbon frame but hard to justify when my RAF rides so good.

Yeah, no chance I'm having almost twice the fun on the carbon frame. Infact, hearing rocks ping off my frame without a care is probably adding to the fun, as is the extra 1500 bucks I can spend on my 'other' bike hahha

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2023 at 7:25 Quote
170 Zeb does pretty well on the RAF for those who were wondering…

photo

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2023 at 20:09 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
I miss bikes!
I used my extra rims and threw some 45nrth studded wrathchilds on them with spare torpor’s and cassette and been doing some snow riding. Just enough traction to work but enough slip to make XC trails sketchy fun. Lots of “tokoyo drifting” around corners Good to get out on the bike in nature.
photo

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2023 at 20:38 Quote
I ride pretty much year round snow free being in western Washington. Did the old double the other day: morning bike play date and then a ski in the evening at the local mountain. Legs were shot but well worth it.

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 6:43 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
I ride pretty much year round snow free being in western Washington. Did the old double the other day: morning bike play date and then a ski in the evening at the local mountain. Legs were shot but well worth it.

I can only pull this off in March, but it makes life feel complete. Although, I'm more of a morning ski, afternoon bike kinda guy, unless I'm after slush, which usually means afternoon skiing. Until then, no bikes!

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 7:06 Quote
I was shuttling DH bikes in the sunshine the weekend before last. Likely the same thing this weekend, or get the RAF out for another rip. Usually only the lower mellow trails are clear in North Vancouver Januarys, but this year everything melted early.

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 9:07 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:

I can only pull this off in March, but it makes life feel complete. Although, I'm more of a morning ski, afternoon bike kinda guy, unless I'm after slush, which usually means afternoon skiing. Until then, no bikes!

I do the night ski because of the economics… day ticket is $125+ vs $60 for night time…. Not to mention less people and that’s when the snow ends up getting fun again here.

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 9:21 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

I do the night ski because of the economics… day ticket is $125+ vs $60 for night time…. Not to mention less people and that’s when the snow ends up getting fun again here.

Very logical.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.037219
Mobile Version of Website