Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Mar 21, 2020 at 21:27 Quote
Just thought I'd pass on that I had a terrible time getting the Assegai tires to seat to the Ibis S35 rims when I converted to tubeless. Not sure if it's the rim or just the combo, but it was a major pain. Used a compressor, soap on the bead, etc...

A day later helped my buddy put an Assegai on his Devinci and I got it to seat in 10 seconds. Go figure.

Anyway, not sure if I just had bad luck or what, but don't get discouraged if you also have a hard time converting to tubeless with the Ibis S35/Assegai combo. Once it's on, it's solid though...

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
PNWbike wrote:
Just thought I'd pass on that I had a terrible time getting the Assegai tires to seat to the Ibis S35 rims when I converted to tubeless. Not sure if it's the rim or just the combo, but it was a major pain. Used a compressor, soap on the bead, etc...

A day later helped my buddy put an Assegai on his Devinci and I got it to seat in 10 seconds. Go figure.

Anyway, not sure if I just had bad luck or what, but don't get discouraged if you also have a hard time converting to tubeless with the Ibis S35/Assegai combo. Once it's on, it's solid though...

Same setup and the tires got seated in seconds. No compressor , just a normal pump. Really like the rimes too. When and if i will have to replace them will buy the same again.

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 9:44 Quote
Tire tolerances aren't the most precise. Sometimes we get an undersized tire that's a wrestling match to mount and sometimes the tire almost falls into place on its own. The only consistently weird fits that I know were WTB tires from a couple years ago, which were always difficult, and Panaracers from a few years ago, which were always loose.

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 12:11 Quote
Last ride before the Covid-19 General Lockdown.

Cheers guys and stay safe tup

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 13:58 Quote
FiLaReToS wrote:
PNWbike wrote:

Same setup and the tires got seated in seconds. No compressor , just a normal pump. Really like the rimes too. When and if i will have to replace them will buy the same again.

Good to hear you had better luck!

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
Im wondering about running cushcore or not to keep tire roll to a minimum, my guess is that with 35mm internal rim the tires will be less likely to roll and with a DD casing on the rear I should get away of poncture. I usually run much lower pressure up front so my concern is there.
What is your experiences with the assegai 2.5 exo/exo+ on the front at around 20psi? Enough support for a 200lbs rider in some hard cornering? Do you feel any roll??

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 9:38 Quote
Wide rims make a huge difference. That should be sufficient.

Front tires don't collapse like rears, so you should be fine.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 9:57 Quote
You'll be fine as long as you don't use plus sized cheap variant of Schwalbe NNs

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 7:41 Quote
So I'm pretty sure the Ripmo AF SLX will be my next bike. I'm 6'0" and normally ride large frames. The bike shop owner suggested an XL frame for me as he said the ripmo af is sized a bit smaller. And on the ibis website I'm on the tall end of height range suggested for a L and the lower end of the height range suggested for an XL. Let me know what height you guys are, the size you got, and if you like it. Thanks!

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:
So I'm pretty sure the Ripmo AF SLX will be my next bike. I'm 6'0" and normally ride large frames. The bike shop owner suggested an XL frame for me as he said the ripmo af is sized a bit smaller. And on the ibis website I'm on the tall end of height range suggested for a L and the lower end of the height range suggested for an XL. Let me know what height you guys are, the size you got, and if you like it. Thanks!

I'd say probably XL, but that depends on whether you have long arms and your preference. I'm 5-11, with a pretty average ratio of arm/leg length, on a Large with a 45mm stem, and it feels good. If my arms were much longer, and/or I really wanted to run a 35-40mm stem, I'd probably want to be on an XL. Also depends on what you're used to riding, I've got an even mix of tight switchbacks and steeper straight terrain, so I wanted to keep the wheelbase a bit more compact, and my previous bike was a large 2015 Trance (not a super long reach).

I think most people will probably steer you towards XL.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 7:51 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:

I'm 6' as well and went with the large with a 185mm Bike Yoke. Fits me great! I would not want to be on a bigger size

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 11:08 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:

I think it depends a lot on what bike you are coming from. I'm 5'9" which is top of Med and bottom of Large sizing. However, my other bike is an older version Bronson; size Med. The Med Ripmo rides and feels way "bigger" than my medium Bronson, so I'm glad I didn't go with a Large.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 11:58 Quote
PNWbike wrote:
I think it depends a lot on what bike you are coming from. I'm 5'9" which is top of Med and bottom of Large sizing. However, my other bike is an older version Bronson; size Med. The Med Ripmo rides and feels way "bigger" than my medium Bronson, so I'm glad I didn't go with a Large.

Absolutely! There's no standardization in bike sizing and nominal sizes are all over the map. If we adjust the reach to account for stack (i.e. calculate reach values at a constant stack), we find:

• The Medium Bronson v2 is between an XS and Small Ripmo v2 (if XS existed).
• The Medium Ripmo v2 is closer to XL than Large in Bronson v2 sizing.

There have been more extreme examples in the past - same time, same category. The XL in one model was smaller than the Small in another.

Take-aways:

• Ignore nominal sizes.
• Look at the reach values.
• Add 40% of the difference in stack to the reach, with larger stack adding to effective reach and vice-versa.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 12:04 Quote
PNWbike wrote:
kookseverywhere wrote:

I'm coming from a Large Trek Fuel Ex which feels like it could be a bit bigger. Once my local shop reopens I'm going to take the L Ripmo AF demo out, unfortunately they don't have an XL demo though. Virus has all the shops closed so here I am at home obsessing over geo numbers of different bikes.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 12:29 Quote
I'm 6'1" and ordered the XL (patiently waiting)

I did ride lots of other bikes w/ similar geo and have time on both the L and XL OG Ripmo for reference.

XL w/ 50mm stem should be great for me. Any bike w/ 470-475ish reaches and modern seat tube angles feel way too small unless i use a 60mm stem, and even then they feel a little small. I also tend to run the seat pushed pretty far forward even with the 76 deg sta so keep that in mind.

At 6'0" i'd say it's down to personal preference. Throw a leg over either size and see what you think. If i were an inch shorter i'd still go XL but I've got a friend at my height who always goes for larges over XLs. Good luck!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006369
Mobile Version of Website