Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2023 at 11:47 Quote
Superfli wrote:
NERyder wrote:
I had considered the ripley as there were good sales and also the transition Spur. With the spur the main concern is with the SID. I had heard they have a lot of problems and being a heavier rider I thought I might make it more likely to be unreliable.

seems like there are good sales right now on specialized and a couple other brands

I have a Spur. Built fairly lightweight with SID suspension. Functionally the SID forks are superb. It really surprised me how good they were for an XC type fork. Only rebound adjustment and lockout, but for me they have been great. I am worried about all the reports of bushing play, but being pretty light (160lb) and the fact that the Spur is my posh bike that I try not to use in the wet Smile , the forks are fine. I havent even changed the lowers oil yet.
If you want playful, it certainly is. It feels so light and zippy. Absolute hoot on my local stuff. And great on longer XC rides. Only time it comes unstuck is on the fast repeated bumps on steeps when I really should be on my Ripmo!

Thanks for the feedback. I really want something that complements the Ripmo. AF without overlapping toomuch

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2023 at 12:58 Quote
I have both a Ripley v4 and a Ripmo v2s. They overlap a lot, especially how I have my Ripley configured with DVO bits. I ride my hardtail and my Ripmo most. The Ripley has been sitting a lot lately. I'm going to see if putting the Ripley back to a lighter configuration gets me on it more often.

So I think my advice would be to get an Exie and a Ripmo if you want two with clear purposes.
Ripley is great for an all-rounder single-bike solution if you have neither and only want one.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2023 at 13:39 Quote
flgfish wrote:
I have both a Ripley v4 and a Ripmo v2s. They overlap a lot, especially how I have my Ripley configured with DVO bits. I ride my hardtail and my Ripmo most. The Ripley has been sitting a lot lately. I'm going to see if putting the Ripley back to a lighter configuration gets me on it more often.

So I think my advice would be to get an Exie and a Ripmo if you want two with clear purposes.
Ripley is great for an all-rounder single-bike solution if you have neither and only want one.

I think if you had a ripmo with burly squish bits and tires and set up the ripley with lighter tires and a 34 or pike it should be quite a bit more peppy, but I can see how those two get kinda close. I now have a 170 38 on my ripmo, coil and minions so it's not exactly peppy, so I actually think a lot about the ripley with some narrower rims and a semi slick on the back. I have a hardtail right now, but those things get overwhelmed so easy. I know some people ride everything on a hardtial, but man I find it painful after a few weeks on the Ripmo. Just can't roll into rock gardens carefree, which is why I think of selling it for a trail squisher built up lighter. Too old for this crap!

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2023 at 14:03 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
...I have a hardtail right now, but those things get overwhelmed so easy. I know some people ride everything on a hardtial, but man I find it painful after a few weeks on the Ripmo. Just can't roll into rock gardens carefree, which is why I think of selling it for a trail squisher built up lighter. Too old for this crap!

I'm 43yo and love riding my hard tail on challenging terrain. You just go slower and/or ride differently. Doesn't have much to do with age, probably more to do with using the appropriate riding style for the weapon at hand. More bikes is more better-er though, obviously.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2023 at 14:07 Quote
I think if you had a ripmo with burly squish bits and tires and set up the ripley with lighter tires and a 34 or pike it should be quite a bit more peppy, but I can see how those two get kinda close. I now have a 170 38 on my ripmo, coil and minions so it's not exactly peppy, so I actually think a lot about the ripley with some narrower rims and a semi slick on the back. I have a hardtail right now, but those things get overwhelmed so easy. I know some people ride everything on a hardtial, but man I find it painful after a few weeks on the Ripmo. Just can't roll into rock gardens carefree, which is why I think of selling it for a trail squisher built up lighter. Too old for this crap!

I have a DVO Sapphire & Topaz G3 on my Ripley. i30 carbon wheels with 2.35" Ground Control tires.
Ripmo has an Onyx & a Jade X coil. i35 carbon wheels with 2.5" DHF/Aggressor tires.

We have insane pine and cypress root gardens here. I generally grab the Ripmo for the reasons you mentioned. If I'm not doing that, I tend to grab the hardtail. And the Ripley is just kind of lost in the middle. I have to make reasons to ride the Ripley, which I do, but it happens less than I'd like.

I'm going to put the lighter Fox stuff back on and see if that helps. I doubt it, but you never know. I love the Ripley, it's awesome. I just don't ride it much since I got the Ripmo.

I originally got the Ripmo thinking exactly as the thread went. Wow, these two would be a great compliment to each other! And it hasn't really worked out that way at all.

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 3:45 Quote
Yes, sorry this is a ripley AF large, XX1 Drivetrain, fox 36 on the front at 140mm, Shimano dual piston XTr brakes. Bike yolk stem with OneUp Carbon bar, now have bike yolk, dropper post 185 drop. Light bicycle 930s carbon rims with Sapim and cxray Spokes 28hole with onyx Vesper hubs. Bonty 2.4 xr4 rear tire with xr5 front tire. Bike is now 30.1 lbs I absolutely love this bike!!

O+
Posted: May 1, 2023 at 7:12 Quote
flgfish wrote:

I have a DVO Sapphire & Topaz G3 on my Ripley. i30 carbon wheels with 2.35" Ground Control tires.
Ripmo has an Onyx & a Jade X coil. i35 carbon wheels with 2.5" DHF/Aggressor tires.

We have insane pine and cypress root gardens here. I generally grab the Ripmo for the reasons you mentioned. If I'm not doing that, I tend to grab the hardtail. And the Ripley is just kind of lost in the middle. I have to make reasons to ride the Ripley, which I do, but it happens less than I'd like.

I'm going to put the lighter Fox stuff back on and see if that helps. I doubt it, but you never know. I love the Ripley, it's awesome. I just don't ride it much since I got the Ripmo.

I originally got the Ripmo thinking exactly as the thread went. Wow, these two would be a great compliment to each other! And it hasn't really worked out that way at all.

I took my Ripmo on an easier / fast trail (coil/38170 minions) and still had a blast. The bike is easily considered too much for that trail, but it just made the fun parts funner. Maybe it's ok to just have one bike, feels so wrong though!

O+
Posted: May 4, 2023 at 15:22 Quote
Just ordered a transition spur Devore build. Going to use the savings on upgrading the wheels. Also thinking about upgrading the suspension to fox but going to try the Sid. I rode a demo yesterday and that bike is super fun. I think that and the ripmo really covers all the bases for me. Really excited to have the variety

Posted: May 6, 2023 at 4:24 Quote
You won't be disappointed with the Spur! I rode mine on my local trails the other day. So bloody quick and poppy! Jumping roots at every opportunity, setting pb's on segments and leaving my mates gasping trying to keep up

O+
Posted: May 6, 2023 at 5:09 Quote
Superfli wrote:
You won't be disappointed with the Spur! I rode mine on my local trails the other day. So bloody quick and poppy! Jumping roots at every opportunity, setting pb's on segments and leaving my mates gasping trying to keep up
Nice! It is just so solid for how light it is. I am replacing the cranks to SLX, replacing the shifter to XT and I grabbed a pair of I9 1/1 alloy trail wheels off jenson 20% off with free shipping so $616 total and those are only 1685 grams. Not a weight weenie but for this bike I do want to keep it light. Really excited for the variety.

I rode the tall boy, the yeti 115, pivot trail429, ripely and some straight cross country bike like the intense sniper and the transition just had such a strong blend of amazing stiff frame, firm suspension and super poppy. The Ripley was just to similar to the ripmo in feel to justify it as a second bike. I will say though, there are so many good bikes now, it is hard to go wrong as long as you throw a leg over before buying. Bikes have really come a long way in the last 7-8 years

O+
Posted: May 16, 2023 at 9:41 Quote
So I grabbed an Ibis Ripmo AF Deore last fall, been a blast so far! I'm not a bike tech or really familiar with all the components (whats better and why) on a bike but I kind of wanted to learn a bit and thought maybe upgrading components on this bike slowly would be a good way to get familiar with working on a bike and just being able to compare bike components in general. So I guess my question would be, what would be the order of priority for upgrades on my bike? Assuming certain things are worth upgrading.?

I was kind of thinking about what seems like some simple upgrades like a 35mm handlebar/grips and stem? Or I see alot of people saying that the KS droppers aren't great, maybe I swap that out? I did already put on a wolftooth dropper lever to replace the stock one. Also, I have a Maxxis Aggressor tire I was going to swap the rear Assegai for this weekend. Or should I be looking elsewhere where an upgrade would be more evident?

Here is the actual specs of my bike, appreciate any advice/recommendations!

SPECIFICATIONS

Fork
DVO Onyx D1, 160mm

Shock
DVO Topaz T3 Air, 210mm x 55mm, Optional upgrade: DVO Jade X Coil

Hubs
Ibis, 110x15mm Boost front, 148x12mm Boost rear with MICRO SPLINE driver

Wheels
Ibis S35 aluminum

Spokes
Ibis wheelset

Tires
Maxxis Assegai, EXO+ casing, 120 TPI, 29” x 2.5” WT

Chain
435mm, None, Shimano Deore M6100, 30 tooth, alloy, Shimano Deore M6100, 12-speed

Crank
Shimano Deore M6100, 24mm spindle, Length: 170mm (SM/MD), 175mm (LG/XL)

Bottom Bracket
341mm (30mm drop), Shimano BB52, 73mm BSA threaded

Rear Derailleur
Shimano Deore M6100, 12-speed, SHADOW RD+

Shifters
Shimano Deore M6100, 12-speed

Brakeset
Shimano Deore M6120, 4-piston, Shimano RT66 rotors (203mm front, 180mm rear), Shimano Deore M6120

Handlebar
Ibis aluminum, 780mm width, 4° upsweep, 9° backsweep, 20mm rise

Saddle
WTB Silverado, 142mm width

Seatpost
KS Rage-i dropper, 31.6mm, Standard single bolt, 31.6mm, Standard single bolt
Drop:150mm (MD)

Stem
Ibis, 31.8mm bar clamp, Length: 40mm (SM/MD), 50mm (LG/XL)

Grips
Lizard Skins Charger

Headset
Cane Creek 40, ZS44 upper, ZS56 lower

O+
Posted: May 16, 2023 at 10:00 Quote
I think the dropper will work for a while, until it doesn't then get a new longer one. Most of the parts work pretty well. Although the cockpit is a bit weak. I think the bike climbs a lot better when you get faster tire on the back than the Assguy, which is quite slow. I rode the bike with a lighter/narrower rimmed wheelset and the bike felt quite a lot faster. I like the grip of bigger knobby tires and wide rims, but the climbs suffer. Otherwise the suspension is great so you're pretty sorted there, which is more important than much else.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2023 at 10:43 Quote
I think the dropper will work for a while, until it doesn't then get a new longer one. Most of the parts work pretty well. Although the cockpit is a bit weak. I think the bike climbs a lot better when you get faster tire on the back than the Assguy, which is quite slow. I rode the bike with a lighter/narrower rimmed wheelset and the bike felt quite a lot faster. I like the grip of bigger knobby tires and wide rims, but the climbs suffer. Otherwise the suspension is great so you're pretty sorted there, which is more important than much else.

Ya thats what I gathered for the rear tire, will swap that out this weekend and give it a go. So it sounds like cockpit should be my focus first hey? handlebar/grips/stem? Also the deore shifters or are they fine?

I guess as a side question, I understand the ripmo AF isnt the lightest bike around, so if I was swapping the handlebars out do I go carbon to get it a bit lighter or just say f it and grow bigger legs pushing the extra weight uphill?

Posted: May 16, 2023 at 11:07 Quote
IMO unless you really want to explore different options, and if you don't have any major problems with the current bar/stem setup, I wouldn't really switch to a 35mm setup. Personally, I don't see the point of switching to a stiffer setup just to buy a more expensive carbon bar that's engineered to be 'compliant' but in reality feels the same as a regular 31.8 bar. And in terms of weight you would be saving up to 40 grams for a few hundred dollars.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2023 at 11:22 Quote
domdb wrote:
IMO unless you really want to explore different options, and if you don't have any major problems with the current bar/stem setup, I wouldn't really switch to a 35mm setup. Personally, I don't see the point of switching to a stiffer setup just to buy a more expensive carbon bar that's engineered to be 'compliant' but in reality feels the same as a regular 31.8 bar. And in terms of weight you would be saving up to 40 grams for a few hundred dollars.

I too don't really get the 35mm thing, but I did find the ibis bars a bit noodly and underwhelming. Honestly, the bike just works as you have it (aside from the slow tire thing). There are always better bits, but I'd just wait to break these before upgrading. Oh, a 203mm rotor on the back is worth it if you're heavier/faster. As for weight, tires and rims are the only thing I really feel. As said many times, how much of a performance increase do you feel when your bottle is empty vs full? I have a 38 fox on mine now vs the DVO. It's bigger and heavier but climbs haven't been impacted in any way I can really notice. One day your rear hub may break and more engagement is nice, but not a game changer.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008803
Mobile Version of Website