Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Author Message
Posted: Mar 30, 2024 at 7:49 Quote
How are we all torquing the inward facing bolts on the rocker link? The ones which thread into (just below) the seatstay, I noticed after a weekend of hard riding one has come loose, loctited and tightened with an allen key but want to make sure it’s done properly so I can sleep at night. I’ve tried a long reach socket, extenders, swivel adaptors and a combination of all these things at the same time. Can’t get the socket to go into the head when using my torque wrench. Any ideas? Cheers

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2024 at 21:48 Quote
Cyrusmb wrote:
How are we all torquing the inward facing bolts on the rocker link? The ones which thread into (just below) the seatstay, I noticed after a weekend of hard riding one has come loose, loctited and tightened with an allen key but want to make sure it’s done properly so I can sleep at night. I’ve tried a long reach socket, extenders, swivel adaptors and a combination of all these things at the same time. Can’t get the socket to go into the head when using my torque wrench. Any ideas? Cheers

Regular long Allen key, measure the length. Do some math, get a luggage scale and use it to pull on the Allen key until the required force.

Posted: Mar 31, 2024 at 7:47 Quote
I just guess to a bolt with same torque that i can measure

Posted: Apr 1, 2024 at 17:12 Quote
EwanWhosearmy wrote:
I think I may have cracked my early 2020 AF Blank Stare

Coming back from a ride today, I noticed suspicious black dust on the weld between the head- and downtube. Wiped it off to find this:
photo

Looks like it a crack to me, especially considering the black dust that was covering it. Or am I the one who is on crack?

It's an XL frame. I'm 180lbs or so and I've been known to hit the odd jump or two, but I've never had any bad crashes. I just ordered some new forks for this bike as well hours before finding this.

Just a heads up, if I were you, I'd remove the pretty hard case video from my profile before contacting Ibis and saying that you do the odd jump and have never had a bad crash lol That certainly didn't help.

Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 0:28 Quote
Cyrusmb wrote:
How are we all torquing the inward facing bolts on the rocker link? The ones which thread into (just below) the seatstay, I noticed after a weekend of hard riding one has come loose, loctited and tightened with an allen key but want to make sure it’s done properly so I can sleep at night. I’ve tried a long reach socket, extenders, swivel adaptors and a combination of all these things at the same time. Can’t get the socket to go into the head when using my torque wrench. Any ideas? Cheers
That one always eventually came loose for me. I ended up just making a line across it with a paint pen and snugged it up whenever it moved.
Could be fine for months and then suddenly it was unwinding.

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 14:12 Quote
deciduous wrote:
EwanWhosearmy wrote:
I think I may have cracked my early 2020 AF Blank Stare

Coming back from a ride today, I noticed suspicious black dust on the weld between the head- and downtube. Wiped it off to find this:
photo

Looks like it a crack to me, especially considering the black dust that was covering it. Or am I the one who is on crack?

It's an XL frame. I'm 180lbs or so and I've been known to hit the odd jump or two, but I've never had any bad crashes. I just ordered some new forks for this bike as well hours before finding this.

Just a heads up, if I were you, I'd remove the pretty hard case video from my profile before contacting Ibis and saying that you do the odd jump and have never had a bad crash lol That certainly didn't help.

That particular landing was soft as butter, on account of the rear wheel folding like a bed sheet. Didn't even bottom the fork.

That aside, I actually do think the lack of bottom out resistance of the stock DVO Diamond forks is partially to blame for this crack. The weld was definitely also not 100% right. There is a slight weld defect visible from the opposite side, which must have compromised it. Ibis did live up to their good reputation and is sending a new front triangle which I should receive shortly.

Posted: Apr 7, 2024 at 19:29 Quote
That's good to hear that Ibis has great customer service. I have the Ripmo AF v2 on my next frame radar, hopefully they bring it out soon. Cheers!

Posted: Apr 13, 2024 at 9:16 Quote
Turpsicle wrote:
Cyrusmb wrote:
How are we all torquing the inward facing bolts on the rocker link? The ones which thread into (just below) the seatstay, I noticed after a weekend of hard riding one has come loose, loctited and tightened with an allen key but want to make sure it’s done properly so I can sleep at night. I’ve tried a long reach socket, extenders, swivel adaptors and a combination of all these things at the same time. Can’t get the socket to go into the head when using my torque wrench. Any ideas? Cheers
That one always eventually came loose for me. I ended up just making a line across it with a paint pen and snugged it up whenever it moved.
Could be fine for months and then suddenly it was unwinding.
exactly what I’ve just had happen, was after a lot of heavy riding in the Lake District so I’m not surprised. Removed, cleaned and re loctited and I’m just consistently checking it

Posted: Apr 25, 2024 at 7:09 Quote
My clevis bushings started knocking the other day, so needed replacement. There doesn't appear to be any UK distributor anymore, so i emailed Ibis direct. New bushings came in post 2 days later, no questions asked! Great service. I wonder who in UK stocked and posted them?

Posted: Apr 26, 2024 at 10:20 Quote
Superfli wrote:
My clevis bushings started knocking the other day, so needed replacement. There doesn't appear to be any UK distributor anymore, so i emailed Ibis direct. New bushings came in post 2 days later, no questions asked! Great service. I wonder who in UK stocked and posted them?

Not sure, it was Jungle, but not any more. That said Ibis USA have been amazing in sending out bits. The fastners wear too and need changing out.

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2024 at 10:25 Quote
Hey Ripmos,

Have any of you ridden an HD6? It's way up there on my list and imagine it to just be a similar ride, but better in the chunk and park, but maybe I'm way off. I love the 'Mo, but on more technical, janky, bashy stuff, I want more out back. Plus, I ride in the park for a couple of months a year and this bike is (obviously) not a park bike, even though I have a good time on it.

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2024 at 21:14 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Hey Ripmos,

Have any of you ridden an HD6? It's way up there on my list and imagine it to just be a similar ride, but better in the chunk and park, but maybe I'm way off. I love the 'Mo, but on more technical, janky, bashy stuff, I want more out back. Plus, I ride in the park for a couple of months a year and this bike is (obviously) not a park bike, even though I have a good time on it.

I was supposed to demo an HD6 on Sunday for similar reasons, but actually after putting a cascade link and a 170 fork on my ripmo, it is improved quite a bit in that area. Not a DH bike, but I no longer really want more travel either. I suppose it depends where you ride.

For what it's worth, I have a Norco Range VLT (E-Bike) as well. There's still a difference in terms of what the back end will eat, but they are much closer now.

Posted: Apr 27, 2024 at 10:38 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Hey Ripmos,

Have any of you ridden an HD6? It's way up there on my list and imagine it to just be a similar ride, but better in the chunk and park, but maybe I'm way off. I love the 'Mo, but on more technical, janky, bashy stuff, I want more out back. Plus, I ride in the park for a couple of months a year and this bike is (obviously) not a park bike, even though I have a good time on it.

I love it. It climbs better than the Ripmo in my opinion. Slightly heavier but not much.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2024 at 6:53 Quote
EwanWhosearmy wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Hey Ripmos,

Have any of you ridden an HD6? It's way up there on my list and imagine it to just be a similar ride, but better in the chunk and park, but maybe I'm way off. I love the 'Mo, but on more technical, janky, bashy stuff, I want more out back. Plus, I ride in the park for a couple of months a year and this bike is (obviously) not a park bike, even though I have a good time on it.

I was supposed to demo an HD6 on Sunday for similar reasons, but actually after putting a cascade link and a 170 fork on my ripmo, it is improved quite a bit in that area. Not a DH bike, but I no longer really want more travel either. I suppose it depends where you ride.

For what it's worth, I have a Norco Range VLT (E-Bike) as well. There's still a difference in terms of what the back end will eat, but they are much closer now.

Maybe I wanna do this. cheaper than a new frame and otherwise, I do still really enjoy this bike

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2024 at 6:55 Quote
Circe wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Hey Ripmos,

Have any of you ridden an HD6? It's way up there on my list and imagine it to just be a similar ride, but better in the chunk and park, but maybe I'm way off. I love the 'Mo, but on more technical, janky, bashy stuff, I want more out back. Plus, I ride in the park for a couple of months a year and this bike is (obviously) not a park bike, even though I have a good time on it.

I love it. It climbs better than the Ripmo in my opinion. Slightly heavier but not much.

Slightly heavier than an AF? That's possible, hahah


 


Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012312
Mobile Version of Website