Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Author Message
Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 13:44 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:
So I'm pretty sure the Ripmo AF SLX will be my next bike. I'm 6'0" and normally ride large frames. The bike shop owner suggested an XL frame for me as he said the ripmo af is sized a bit smaller. And on the ibis website I'm on the tall end of height range suggested for a L and the lower end of the height range suggested for an XL. Let me know what height you guys are, the size you got, and if you like it. Thanks!

I'm six foot and went for a large, found the fit feels great for me. I'd prefer to be towards the top end of the sizing than the bottom end but everyones got their own personal preference.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
the-wylie-man wrote:
kookseverywhere wrote:
So I'm pretty sure the Ripmo AF SLX will be my next bike. I'm 6'0" and normally ride large frames. The bike shop owner suggested an XL frame for me as he said the ripmo af is sized a bit smaller. And on the ibis website I'm on the tall end of height range suggested for a L and the lower end of the height range suggested for an XL. Let me know what height you guys are, the size you got, and if you like it. Thanks!

I'm six foot and went for a large, found the fit feels great for me. I'd prefer to be towards the top end of the sizing than the bottom end but everyones got their own personal preference.

Im 6' 3/4 and I tried both L and xl . The large felt cramped. Xl was perfect for me. I was anxious about buying an xl since all my other bikes have been L but I'm happy I went xl

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 14:57 Quote
ashfuel wrote:
the-wylie-man wrote:
kookseverywhere wrote:
So I'm pretty sure the Ripmo AF SLX will be my next bike. I'm 6'0" and normally ride large frames. The bike shop owner suggested an XL frame for me as he said the ripmo af is sized a bit smaller. And on the ibis website I'm on the tall end of height range suggested for a L and the lower end of the height range suggested for an XL. Let me know what height you guys are, the size you got, and if you like it. Thanks!

I'm six foot and went for a large, found the fit feels great for me. I'd prefer to be towards the top end of the sizing than the bottom end but everyones got their own personal preference.

Im 6' 3/4 and I tried both L and xl . The large felt cramped. Xl was perfect for me. I was anxious about buying an xl since all my other bikes have been L but I'm happy I went xl

Thanks for the reply, thats good to hear because, yeah, i'm feeling apprehensive because all my other bikes have been larges.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 16:09 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:
ashfuel wrote:
the-wylie-man wrote:


I'm six foot and went for a large, found the fit feels great for me. I'd prefer to be towards the top end of the sizing than the bottom end but everyones got their own personal preference.

Im 6' 3/4 and I tried both L and xl . The large felt cramped. Xl was perfect for me. I was anxious about buying an xl since all my other bikes have been L but I'm happy I went xl

Thanks for the reply, thats good to hear because, yeah, i'm feeling apprehensive because all my other bikes have been larges.

Just curious... Does the shop stock the NX build too or just SLX? I don't understand the pricing on the SLX/GX builds. For example, one can buy the NX for $3K + Order an entire SLX groupset $600 https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shimano-slx-m7100-groupset-1x12 + Bike Yoke dropper $400 https://www.jensonusa.com/Bike-Yoke-Revive-Dropper-Post for a total of $4K, which is what the SLX build sells for. I might be missing something, but those appear to be the only differences in the builds.

I was apprehensive about the KS Rage seat post, but honestly, it works as good, if not better than my Reverb. Not sure of the long term reliability on the Rage, but based on Ibis' pricing I can ride it till it breaks and then still buy a Bike Yoke and I'm not really "losing" any money.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 15:23 Quote
For some dam reason, the AF in raw is really catching my attention. I like the stout look, and the value of the NX build. I currently ride a 2019 Instinct BC A50, size M. Can anyone offer some perspective on what some of the riding characteristics of the AF would be, as compared to my BC? Not sure what rear shock I would go with, never had a rear coil before. I can order an NX build from Jenson, and hopefully sell my Instict to pretty much cover the cost of the AF. I don't need two big travel bikes, I use one bike for everything..trail, flow, single track, tech, and park.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 17:01 Quote
PNWbike wrote:
Just curious... Does the shop stock the NX build too or just SLX? I don't understand the pricing on the SLX/GX builds. For example, one can buy the NX for $3K + Order an entire SLX groupset $600 https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shimano-slx-m7100-groupset-1x12 + Bike Yoke dropper $400 https://www.jensonusa.com/Bike-Yoke-Revive-Dropper-Post for a total of $4K, which is what the SLX build sells for. I might be missing something, but those appear to be the only differences in the builds.

I was apprehensive about the KS Rage seat post, but honestly, it works as good, if not better than my Reverb. Not sure of the long term reliability on the Rage, but based on Ibis' pricing I can ride it till it breaks and then still buy a Bike Yoke and I'm not really "losing" any money.

My justification was just wanting to buy the bike I wanted without having to change a bunch of stuff. Doesn't have to make sense for everyone Cool

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 20:43 Quote
What’s everyone doing to lighten up their AF’s?

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 20:47 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:
So I'm pretty sure the Ripmo AF SLX will be my next bike. I'm 6'0" and normally ride large frames. The bike shop owner suggested an XL frame for me as he said the ripmo af is sized a bit smaller. And on the ibis website I'm on the tall end of height range suggested for a L and the lower end of the height range suggested for an XL. Let me know what height you guys are, the size you got, and if you like it. Thanks!

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 20:56 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Eating less.
good one!

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 20:59 Quote
KyZoKo2109 wrote:
kookseverywhere wrote:
So I'm pretty sure the Ripmo AF SLX will be my next bike. I'm 6'0" and normally ride large frames. The bike shop owner suggested an XL frame for me as he said the ripmo af is sized a bit smaller. And on the ibis website I'm on the tall end of height range suggested for a L and the lower end of the height range suggested for an XL. Let me know what height you guys are, the size you got, and if you like it. Thanks!
I’m 6’ exactly. On a large AF. Would not want it any bigger.

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 1:26 Quote
KyZoKo2109 wrote:
What’s everyone doing to lighten up their AF’s?

Good question. My medium NX build with the air shock is stock apart from XT pedals and I added a carbon bar but it's still 16 kg/35.3 pounds.

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 19:55 Quote
Anyone had any major problems with the weight when coming from a lighter bike?

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 20:20 Quote
kookseverywhere wrote:
Anyone had any major problems with the weight when coming from a lighter bike?

Only on the climbs. I seem to be huffing and puffing more now compared to when I was on my 31lb Giant Trance (27.5). Not sure if its the weight or the bigger 29" wheels or both but I'm not keeping up with my buddies as easily as I used to. I see this as me still getting used to the bike, I've only had it out a handful of times.

Going downhill the weight is very nice. The AF feels A LOT more stable at speed going down hill compared to the Trance. Any little thing would upset the Trance and the AF is smooth.

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 20:35 Quote
Same tires on both bikes?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005836
Mobile Version of Website